Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Non-liquid/non-gel toiletries and makeup products

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-liquid/non-gel toiletries and makeup products

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by Punki
I went to Sephora yesterday and bought a bunch of "Bare Minerals" so I am covered for everything except mascara and moisturizer for my long trip to Dublin day after tomorrow.
So how did the Bare Minerals work? I've seen their ads and it looked very tempting. My complexion breaks out at the mere proximity to makeup, and this stuff is supposed to actually be GOOD for your complexion.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by txskygal
where do u find [Revlon LashTint]??
Available where you'd buy any other Revlon cosmetic product.

Thing is, it looks just like mascara so while, yes, you could put it on and have it last for a day or two it _could_ be subject to confiscation like any other mascara. The suggestions to maybe bundle it with other pens/pencils or spread your cosmetics throughout your belongings sounds like an idea that's worth a shot.

Anyway, what an asinine object to ban from carry-on luggage! I'd pay good money to see a serious attempt to threaten a flight crew with a mascara wand.

Last edited by essxjay; Aug 25, 2006 at 2:55 am
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:58 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
The ORD screener who hand-searched my bag last week said that anything "cream like" had to go, notably a jar of hair wax and a bar of translucent soap (despite my protestation that it was indeed bar soap). I'd imagine that solid shea/cocoa butter would similarly fail that test.

No hand search on the return, though.

Lush body butter works well as a moisturizer, and pomade-on-a-stick in place of the hair wax, but I did end up buying (and leaving behind) small tubes of sunscreen and toothpaste.

Bare Minerals foundation has good coverage and color choice. Don't overdo the buffing if you have sensitive skin, though.

Last edited by paytonc; Aug 24, 2006 at 5:05 pm
Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL PM MM
Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
So how did the Bare Minerals work?
I use it, and I was extremely skeptical. Getting the right color is critical. Since you live in the TPA area, I would go to Sephora and have them choose the right color for your skin, and give you instruction. Buying it from the infomercial is just a crapshoot, and Sephora has better brushes.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
So how did the Bare Minerals work? I've seen their ads and it looked very tempting. My complexion breaks out at the mere proximity to makeup, and this stuff is supposed to actually be GOOD for your complexion.
Urr, I necessarily wouldn't buy the hype that "minerals" are supposed to be good for your skin, or at least any better than regular foundation. "minerals" is just a euphemism for "dirt" - albeit well-packaged, well-marketed and slickly presented dirt.

Judge for yourself, but I would strongly recommend requesting a sample of your chosen color before splurging on the full size "kits" that they hawk. Maybe it will work for you. After getting matched at the store and giving a try, my initial experience with it was great--I thought it did look more natural, provided necessary coverage, and felt nice. HOWEVER, I think only normal skin without problems can really wear this (I have oily skin). At the end of the day, I found that the stuff seeped into my fine lines and pores and made them MORE noticeable and I looked older with it on. And in good natural light, it looked a little weird on my skin. I switched back to regular foundation right away and never looked back.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 3:01 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Excellent points about Bare Minerals, kuroneko. I've started wearing a betahydroxy moisturizer 5-6 days a week and I'm guessing a mineral powder foundation product might not work well in tandem with the former product. Hmmm ... Neutrogena has a mineral power foundation out. I guess for $7 that's not a bad way to run a few lab tests on my face. @:-)
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:55 pm

essxjay, I bought the Neutrogena mineral powder foundation for travel. I think it's just OK, and will suffice for my use in travel. The packaging is really annoying (the brush is at the top of the powder, so you have to tap the package to get the powder to the brush, and you end up spilling a lot of powder the first few times you use it), and the coverage is pretty light. That said, it held up pretty well in humidity. I'm going to keep using it until it's done, and then maybe I'll try a powder-cream foundation.

Has anyone used Aveda's Hair Potion? I saw it last night at a store -- it's definitely a powder inside what looks like a gel bottle.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Just smoosh your toothpaste on your toothbrush & wrap it in a shower cap - good for a final brush before landing.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 7:42 am

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Stayed at W Lakeshore the first night of this week's trip, which was great, because they have Bliss products, including foaming face wash, shower gel, a tube of body butter and shampoo and conditioner that made my hair soft and shiny ^

That said, I looked like hell by day 3 of my trip. My skin was really dry by that point and I do NOT recommend Chanel's powder foundation -- it clogged my pores and looked terrible. My skin has really been looking great lately and that was all undone by a 3-day trip.

And without mousse or hair spray, everyday turned into a bad hair day...
Old Aug 26, 2006, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont
Looked thru my Sept issue of O, The Oprah Magazine. They reviewed a new product from DHC with a very positive report. Individually wrapped swabs are saturated with skin-softening olive oil. They come in a box of 50 for $4.

DHC is the one with the great small samples that come in their catalogs.

http://www.dhccare.com/DHC/ProductDe..._ProductID=198
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
thanks so much!

Originally Posted by abelscc
Looked thru my Sept issue of O, The Oprah Magazine. They reviewed a new product from DHC with a very positive report. Individually wrapped swabs are saturated with skin-softening olive oil. They come in a box of 50 for $4.

DHC is the one with the great small samples that come in their catalogs.

http://www.dhccare.com/DHC/ProductDe..._ProductID=198
Thanks for this fabulous lead. I really enjoy this company's products, but haven't been able to buy them outside of Japan.
Old Aug 26, 2006, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
If anyone needs some more lotion samples that they won't mind losing, here's one option. It looks like they're really small (maybe foil packets?), but you get three different kinds.

www.jergens.com/sample
Old Aug 27, 2006, 8:32 am

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
I really like the Bare Minerals powder. I also bought their eyemakeup remover swabs. They look like regular Q-tips but the stick part is hollow and filled with liquid eye makeup remover. I am sure that nobody would ever catch it. I plan to put a few in with my Q-tips.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 11:21 am

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I'm also hoping to carry on Therma-Care heat wraps either stuck on myself or in my carry on. Really saves my back on long trips.
I don't think you could get through the metal detector with a Thermacare wrap stuck on. They contain metal bits that react to the air to produce the heat. Seems to me that it's enough to set off the WTMD.

Probably would be better to stick it on you once through security.

I love ThermaCare wraps, too -- except I think they kinda look like giant sanitary napkins. That kind of amuses me.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Heat wraps

Originally Posted by swise
I don't think you could get through the metal detector with a Thermacare wrap stuck on. They contain metal bits that react to the air to produce the heat. Seems to me that it's enough to set off the WTMD.

Probably would be better to stick it on you once through security.

I love ThermaCare wraps, too -- except I think they kinda look like giant sanitary napkins. That kind of amuses me.
I have never had a problem with them pre-8/10. I'll find out soon enough if they are now a problem going through security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.