Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Sign in using an external account

Old May 9, 06, 9:04 pm   #1

Passport in Maiden Name -- Ticket in Married Name Dilemma

So I finally screwed up the business of transferring over to my married name slowly.

I have not yet taken care of dealing with my passport. I'm somewhat afraid to send it in because I have a lot of family in Canada, and even with expedited service, I hate not being able to go there if I need to (for whatever reason.)

So... I am flying to Toronto at the end of June. My ticket is in my new name, which uses both my maiden name and my married name. My passport is just in my married name. This was a goof caused by me failing to pay attention and for the fact that domestically I have a driver's license in my new name and on accounts where I haven't changed over my name yet I just fly with my passport.

So here's the question. Do I just go ahead and change the name on my passport now? There should be plenty of time to get it back with expedited service before June. Or do I hope that because the ticket has both married and maiden name I'll be ok? Or do I call CO and ask them to make a note of it in their computer?

Anybody else have any experience with this? I just feel dumb right now!
kersie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 06, 9:21 pm   #2

Programs: Eva Air, Air Asia, Cebu Pacific, Air Phil Express, Tune Hotels, GoHotel.com.ph, Jet Star
What country are you in now?
davistev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 06, 9:23 pm   #3

Programs: AA EXP/LT GOLD, PC RA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kersie
So I finally screwed up the business of transferring over to my married name slowly.

I have not yet taken care of dealing with my passport. I'm somewhat afraid to send it in because I have a lot of family in Canada, and even with expedited service, I hate not being able to go there if I need to (for whatever reason.)

My wife has the same problem...just carry a copy of your marriage certificate and show them the marriage certificate when yoyu check in...after you havea few months to kill...then change your passport.......
anaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 06, 9:37 pm   #4

A year and a half after I was married, I went to Mexico using my old passport in my maiden name. This was on a cruise, which was booked in my married name (which also includes my maiden name). My driver's license had already been changed. I took my marriage license with me and was scolded on re-entry by the immigration agent. At that point I had already been on two transatlantic air trips with mismatched passport and tickets with no problem, always showing my marriage license. Because these first trips had been so easy without changing my passport I guess I became complacent. I'm sure you appreciate why, you are also probably changing so many accounts and documents that it seems never-ending. After the scolding I changed my passport immediately in Jan 2005. I have family in London and I too am always concerned about being without a passport, so I paid the expedited fee even though I had no immediate international trips planned.
kalkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 06, 9:41 pm   #5

Programs: AA 2MM EXP, Hilton Diamond
Happened to my wife, too.

Carry the marriage certificate. Worked for a trip with stops in Canada, Ireland, Germany, and Austria.

We did call the airline prior to this as well, but I believe their advice was "carry the marriage certificate"

Good luck.
2TallSeaFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 06, 7:40 am   #6
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Quote:

So... I am flying to Toronto at the end of June. My ticket is in my new name, which uses both my maiden name and my married name. My passport is just in my married name. This was a goof caused by me failing to pay attention and for the fact that domestically I have a driver's license in my new name and on accounts where I haven't changed over my name yet I just fly with my passport.

So here's the question. Do I just go ahead and change the name on my passport now? There should be plenty of time to get it back with expedited service before June. Or do I hope that because the ticket has both married and maiden name I'll be ok? Or do I call CO and ask them to make a note of it in their computer?

You will be throwing away your money on expedited service. Just hold on to your passport until your June trip is completed and then send it in for a new one afterward. It took the state dept only 3 weeks to send me a new one. Now I wouldn't depend on that speed which is why I recommend you holding on to your current passport.

Just travel with your marriage certificate. I did this last fall when I flew to Toronto for the weekend. My ticket was in my married name while the passport was in the maiden name. In fact in both Canadian and US immigration, the agents didn't even ask to see my marriage certificate. But still bring it. These people are very familiar with women getting married and changing their names. They know it takes a while to get the passport changed. So don't even worry one second. Have fun.
Old May 10, 06, 10:37 am   #7

Thanks for the advice... and for letting me know that I am not alone in this.

They usually don't even look at my passport when I come back from Toronto because I am always visiting family and that seems to get the automatic stamp without any questions (not that they usually probably question anybody else significantly more on the US-Canada border). Only trick is that I'll have to expedite service when I eventually do get around to changing this (since i'd be worried about not having it), so I may just take care of it this weekend anyway.
Old May 10, 06, 12:34 pm   #8

Not getting married anytime soon ( ) but good to know nonetheless.
Travelin Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 06, 1:03 pm   #9

Programs: AA 2MM, UA Gld, SPG Plt+LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan (we have no status at all).
That happened to Mrs. CO FF (excuse me, I meant to Ms. I Don't Know How You Can Stand To Fly So Much).

The marriage certificate thing usually works. When you have more time, if you don't want to throw away the amount you've already paid for this passport, you can get the Passport Service to endorse it with the statement "The Bearer of this Passport is also known as [Pre-Married Name]".

When I talk to my wife later today, I'll see if she remembers what she had to go thru to get this.
CO FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 06, 1:20 pm   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO FF
When you have more time, if you don't want to throw away the amount you've already paid for this passport, you can get the Passport Service to endorse it with the statement "The Bearer of this Passport is also known as [Pre-Married Name]".
That's history. For all name changes, you have to surrender your old passport and purchase a new one. I had waited maybe a month too late to get that endorsement. Oh well....
Old May 10, 06, 5:35 pm   #11

I'm not actually 100% sure it's total history. I think you can still get it *if* your passport has been issued within the last year, which mine definitely is not -- or at least they don't make you pay any fee for that, but you still need to send it in. Nonetheless, it isn't that old (I think it expires in 2011), so it's annoying to have to pay for a new one!
Old May 10, 06, 5:48 pm   #12
Suspended

Programs: DL, HHonors, AA, US, Aloha Pass, BA, CO, HawaiianMiles, Chairman, Centurion, AXP, MR, MHC Gold
I have personally seen this one go both ways. My brothers wife was detained for 72 hours in London until the Embassy helped. My wife used a marriage certificate and got away with it three times and then we went through pure torment coming into JFK on a return and it caused a missed connection. The choice is yours and the chance is the gamble.
drbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 06, 7:37 am   #13

Quote:
I think you can still get it *if* your passport has been issued within the last year, which mine definitely is not -- or at least they don't make you pay any fee for that, but you still need to send it in.
I just looked it up and you're right. They'll change your name on your existing passport only if your legal name change occurred within only one year of getting your new passport. http://travel.state.gov/passport/fri...eName_851.html
Old May 11, 06, 4:57 pm   #14

Programs: AA platinum Ex, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
When I found myself in this same situation I too carried a copy of my marriage certificate. I made certain it was a copy issued by the state so it had an official stamp. No problems at all.
ksuckow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 06, 7:43 am   #15

Programs: AA, BA, AF, Marriott, Radisson, Priority Club (Gold), HHonors
If you want to change your name in Ireland on a valid passport, you're stung for a fee of 75 (about $96.50), so I'm going to wait till mine expires in 2010 before changing my name over. My drivers licence expires in 2009 & I'll change that too.

Unusually for Ireland & the UK, I've kept my maiden name & just added my married one on at the end... it's waaay more common in the US & Canada to do this
Babaduck is offline   Reply With Quote