Recs for Cashmere Shawls

Old Jan 3, 2006, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by Jaybee
Has anyone here tried this site? I just ordered a Cashmere/silk wrap on sale for $55.
http://www.boutiquejewels.com/pashminas.html
I received two beautiful pashmina/silk "wraps" from this vendor for Christmas. They are gorgeous, very lightweight, the colors are rich, they are excellent quality.

These are my first cashmere shawls (the smaller "wrap" size makes a shawl on my petite build) and I'm thrilled with them. I wore one out to lunch on New Year's Eve and was amazed how warm it was. Thanks so much for the referral.

The only problem with the purchase was my husband specified and paid for gift wrapping ($5 each) and they arrived unwrapped. I sent an e-mail to the company to request a $10 refund and heard back from them in less than 24 hours. They apologized and said the fee would be credited to the card.

I would not hesitate to recommend Boutique Jewels for pashminas at a very reasonable cost.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Life Time Gold, AA Exec Plat, UA Premier Platinum, *A Gold, SPG Gold
My Findings

Just came back from Singapore and scored a great deal on pashminas. Went to Arab Street first but just did not find any quality ones there - very thin. Was strolling around Chijmes and found 100% pashmina shawls on a 75% discount!! Only 28SIN. Great quality, perfectly warm and soft. I would have bought more but they only had patterned ones, no block colors. Can't complain.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by agentangel
Is there a Tie Rack in Tokyo or Singapore? Those are my next stops. Also, where is the one in ORD?

Thx!
Don't know how I missed this... sorry!

I haven't seen a Tie Rack in the NRT or SIN airports (although I'm usually in a haze when I'm in either).

The one in ORD is between the AA concourses... its a kiosk in Terminal 3. If you were to clear security at AA, you would turn right rather than heading down the H/K spoke.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 11:49 am

Not a shawl, but I have been watching these cashmere pants online at Ann Taylor for a while. They not only marked them down, but (at least right now) are taking 40% off the markdown price. I haven't seen them in person. The price comes down to $54. I ordered 2 sizes in each color as I'm never sure which size will work.

http://www.anntaylor.com/IWCatProduc...Id=813959#null

The cashmere wrap comes down to $35.99
Old Feb 7, 2006, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA platinum Ex, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Be aware that some of them shed. I had aqua fuzz over every inch of a navy suit.
Old Feb 8, 2006, 1:24 pm

This thread is really helpful. I love pashminas, have one from a neighbor who got it while back in China, but don't want to pay Nordstrom prices for a color that I don't even like. The only other place I see pashminas is the random little stands in malls and I really don't trust the quality there.

I am going to check out the Tie Racks in my area- hopefully I will have some luck.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:47 pm

Pashmina Lover

Like the last poster, I am a big fan of pashminas. I always take a shawl sized, about 36"x80", on planes. They are more comfortable than the blankets the airlines provide. The feel better too.

I am a big fan of shopping online for pashminas since you can get good deals on good quality shawls. My favorite is The Pashmina Store but I have had success with others when the price is right.

I travel a lot to China for business, but Chinese pashminas tend to be too thin and/or not even real. They will not keep you warm on a plane or cold night. It's worth it to spring for the real thing.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:13 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
I'm looking at several pashminas. Is 70/30 better than 90/10? Do the the ones with more cashmere get pulled threads more easily? 30" x 80" looks like a good size. It should also drape well and and not take up much space in my carryon. Any good prices out there?
Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Georgia Peach
I'm looking at several pashminas. Is 70/30 better than 90/10? Do the the ones with more cashmere get pulled threads more easily? 30" x 80" looks like a good size. It should also drape well and and not take up much space in my carryon. Any good prices out there?
There is a great thread discussing blankets and pashminas here --> http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=blanket

A lot of people seem to really like www.boutiquejewels.com.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:01 pm

Great Resource For Pashminas

I recently purchased two gorgeous pashminas from thepashminastore.com, they are 70% cashmere and 30% silk from Nepal. They are very nice quality and I love the colors. I got the 36" x 80" size, I like for my pashmina/shawls to do double duty as blankets on flights. The colors I got are dark chocolate which is a dark brown just like dark chocolate, and charcoal which is a true charcoal and not just a dark gray.
http://www.thepashminastore.com/Pash...p/pssh-232.htm

I got them for $60 each with free shipping.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
What ply do you like in a pashima? I notice that one website has 3 and 2 ply. I was wondering about the drape of the thicker one and the warmth of the thinner. Decisions, decisions!
Old Jan 21, 2012, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by gungadin
What ply do you like in a pashima? I notice that one website has 3 and 2 ply. I was wondering about the drape of the thicker one and the warmth of the thinner. Decisions, decisions!
I am hot natured so for me thinner is better. The ones I got are two ply (I think), I bought them for an upcoming international trip. I use a pashmina on international trips for a dual purpose, as a scarf/shawl during the trip and as a blanket on the plane. I won't use the airplane blankets so the larger pashmina 36" x 80" works best. For me I would term the 3 ply winter and the 2 ply summer. Nordstrom has a scarf called a tissue cashmere and they are beautiful and expensive!

Here is a link that explains it better than I can.

http://suewetzel.hubpages.com/hub/Pa...d-the-benefits
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Cashmere is a regulated term. In the US, "pashmina" is not, and thus I generally distrust it. The pashmina store says: "We use only the best 70% pashmina wool, also known as cashmere, and 30% silk." -- but is it in fact cashmere? See the labeling note here and the fact that it can't be sold as "pashmina" fiber in the US.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by deirdre
Cashmere is a regulated term. In the US, "pashmina" is not, and thus I generally distrust it. The pashmina store says: "We use only the best 70% pashmina wool, also known as cashmere, and 30% silk." -- but is it in fact cashmere? See the labeling note here and the fact that it can't be sold as "pashmina" fiber in the US.
The pashminas/shawls I received from the Pashmina Store have a hand sewn label that indicates 70% cashmere 30% silk, along with the country of origin, they also had a retail tag and a plastic wrapper with a label indicating the same thing. They are comparable to other 70/30 cashmere/shawls I have purchased. I haven't purchased 100% cashmere item from them yet so I can't compare that one.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
The pashminas/shawls I received from the Pashmina Store have a hand sewn label that indicates 70% cashmere 30% silk, along with the country of origin, they also had a retail tag and a plastic wrapper with a label indicating the same thing. They are comparable to other 70/30 cashmere/shawls I have purchased. I haven't purchased 100% cashmere item from them yet so I can't compare that one.
Good to know, thanks! They look like they have some nice stuff. I do love 70/30 cashmere/silk blends.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.