Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Help! I need help from the ladies!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2005, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat UA Premier

OK... Here is the scoop. Been married for 29 years. ^

I am out of ideas for Christmas. We are at the point in our lives where we have about everything we need or want and if she needs or wants anything she will just go and get it.

Clothes are out. If you get a size too small she will just bring it back. If it is the correct size or larger she will just bring it back and get mad.

I know better than to get her kitchen appliances.

And when a woman says it is OK not to get her anything for Christmas don't believe her. You will only make that mistake twice.

She got a car for her birthday so it will be hard to top that.

So any ideas for gifts or trips would be welcome!

And do you believe holiday decorations are up already?
Old Oct 19, 2005, 2:59 pm

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
My very favorite vacation so far was 5 days on Koh Hi (Hae), a resort island off the south east tip of Phuket, Thailand. For $70/day you get the deluxe beach house right on the beach. I booked through www.sawadee.com
THere is pretty extensive coral right off the beach, in a roped off area, so snorkeling was always interesting. Meals are at tables on the beach, there is no internet and I never looked for a telephone. THey can arrange to pick you up from the airport in Phuket and take you to the pier, then the speed boat takes you to the resort. Do any serious shopping elsewhere, as the prices for disposable cameras, sunscreen, etc. are pretty high.
If you'd like more information, just PM me.
Kate
Old Oct 19, 2005, 3:21 pm

Well, Ms. M8 and I have been through this already. But my first question would be is your wife facing a similar dilemma about what to get you?

M8

Last edited by Martinis at 8; Oct 19, 2005 at 3:46 pm
Old Oct 19, 2005, 3:42 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
I was in a similar situation for Christmas this year. Haven't been together for 29 years (only 3) but still...what I ended up doing is buying a couple of mini-vacations for the coming months. St. Patty's in Chicago, 4th of July at the Greenbrier and such. Called this work and swore them to secrecy and they have blocked him out for that time already. Since the 2 of us together can never make up our minds where to go I did it myself. I do think that he'll like it and there is always something to look forward to.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 3:53 pm

How about tickets to see her favorite show or performer? The tickets could be either for a show in your hometown, or incorporate it into a trip somewhere. (I love Tom Jones, and would be thrilled to get r/t tix to Las Vegas to see him at the MGM Grand, for example.)

Also, do you have a hobby that you could incorporate into a trip? Wine tasting in California (or Australia!) might be one idea if you like wines. If she has a favorite food, you could fly into a city that is renowned for that cuisine, or has a special restaurant.

Even if she loves to read and has a favorite author, you can check the web and see if that author is having a book signing somewhere, and then fly in and make a trip around that.

You can really make this into something that is as simple or elaborate as you want.

Hope that gives you a little start.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by flyerwife
How about tickets to see her favorite show or performer? The tickets could be either for a show in your hometown, or incorporate it into a trip somewhere...
That's the kinda stuff I do [see Orlando post]. Ms M8 loves Spanish crooners and Luis Miguel is a very smooth bolero singer. We've done this on several weekends, either in conjunction with business travel, or as a stand alone date for a weekend jaunt. Good city venues are , L.A., Las Vegas, NOLA, Miami, NYC. Orlando will be a first time for us in this mode, since NOLA is now kinda closed

M8
Old Oct 19, 2005, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat
Have you really and truly gone through all jewelry options? Hmm?

Trips are a fun idea, and there are almost limitless options. Have you considered a spa vacation? My sister recently sent my parental units to Hawaii on mileage awards, and I got them spa treatments at the resort they were staying at. They loved it.

Is she interested in art? Go to some openings at some galleries, pay careful attention to what she likes, and pick up some work by an artist she likes. I'm a huge sucker for this one, and some of the pieces I have are nice investments also.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerwife
Also, do you have a hobby that you could incorporate into a trip?
Thanks! We did that this summer! We took a thousand mile trip to Omaha, NE in a 40 year old car with no air conditioning. The average temp was 104. It was not a smashing success for her!. But I enjoyed it!

Your other ideas are great and worth looking into!

Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
Well, Ms. M8 and I have been through this already. But my first question would be is your wife facing a similar dilemma about what to get you?

M8
Well No... They always get me books, DVDs and a new "something I already have which works fine and I didn't really need another one".
Old Oct 19, 2005, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
How about a male stripper?
Old Oct 19, 2005, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by SirFlysALot
Thanks! We did that this summer! We took a thousand mile trip to Omaha, NE in a 40 year old car with no air conditioning. The average temp was 104. It was not a smashing success for her!. But I enjoyed it!

Your other ideas are great and worth looking into!

Well No... They always get me books, DVDs and a new "something I already have which works fine and I didn't really need another one".
But it was in a like-new pick-up truck! Too funny! Did you have dog in the truck bed or did he get to ride up front?

Actually the romantic weekend trips really work as nice gifts even if you have to suffer through a metrosexual performer like Neil Diamond or Tom Jones . My opinion on the trinkets is just let her buy them when she wants them. It's been my experience that women seem to look askew at men who can pick out the right type of jewelry or shoes for them. But whatever gift you give her, do not forget the card! We've been married 23 years and are pretty well past the gift giving soap opera for birthdays and Christmas where it concerns trinkets and tangibles.

M8
Old Oct 19, 2005, 4:41 pm

Programs: 1K
Perhaps a series of Spa/Massage visits? Nothing better than going for a massage, then coming home to find the husband has cooked a fabulous dinner with a lovely bottle of wine breathing .... (My body starts relaxing just thinking about it)

Of course I also like the idea of tickets to a good show - maybe combined with a night at a 'ritzy' hotel and a 5* dinner (hmm, more food. I'm seeing a pattern developing )

There have been some good suggestions made. I think I'm going to have my hubby read this thread

Good luck!

DD
Old Oct 19, 2005, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Have you considered swiping her jewelry that has special memories for her, and getting those stones reset in a new piece?

A trip of some sort is always nice. If she's interested in her ancestry, you can plan a trip to where they're from, and she can research everything more.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 5:02 pm

How about a trip away with the girls? Rent a houseboat or a motorhome and send them to a music festival somewhere - you can go quite upscale with a motorhome.

I prefer "event-type" gifts, as you have such wonderful memories forever. Also - what about an up to date family portrait? If she is interested in wine - why not adopt a row of grapes for a year? You get 12 bottles and a little sign at the end of the row, as well as a VIP party to attend.

And anything that comes in that little blue box...no one can have enough from Tiffany's can they?
Old Oct 19, 2005, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
But it was in a like-new pick-up truck! Too funny! Did you have dog in the truck bed or did he get to ride up front?
Dog!

http://www.chicago-mustang.com/gene/PupinnaPony2.jpg

Some weekend trips could be great! She likes old stuff and hates anything from this century or the last! She likes Amish or Shaker. Hmmmmm.

Last edited by SirFlysALot; Oct 19, 2005 at 6:20 pm
Old Oct 19, 2005, 6:33 pm

Some dance lessons together, then take your new tango somewhere you can practice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.