Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

24 year old female...traveling alone...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass Silver

Where are some good places someone like myself can go without being hassled to much? I would travel with friends but I usually find myself irritated and prefer to be on my own.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, HH Dia, SPG PP, Delta-Plat
I too am in my twenties and always traveling alone for work. While in the airport I spend the majority of my time in the lounge. Well, that IS if I get there more than 20 minutes (or 5 minutes on occasion- eek) before the flight leaves.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by OnABudgetDiva
Where are some good places someone like myself can go without being hassled to much? I would travel with friends but I usually find myself irritated and prefer to be on my own.
It's hard to answer your question without a whole lot more info - what's your budget, what's your taste, what's your hobbies? Where are you starting from?

I started traveling solo at 14, and there are few places in the world I wouldn't go solo as a female traveler - the more conservative Muslim countries or parts of Africa come to mind. In Italy I got pinched more than a few times, but, hey, it wasn't fatal. I'd go to Italy again in a heartbeat.

In many places you'll also find a connection between your clothing/behavior and the hassle factor because of the local culture. Wear a tank top and shorts and in some places that's considered to mean "I'm available."
Old Oct 26, 2008, 2:13 pm

Wear a wedding ring.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 4:18 pm
Community Director Emerita

I began traveling for work when I was in my mid 20s. I've worked throughout the globe, generally traveling alone. I've also traveled extensively for fun. The more I traveled, the more confident I grew about where I could comfortably travel alone. There are a handful of places I wouldn't travel, either alone or with my husband. I can't think of any where I would travel with him but not by myself.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Onepass Silver
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
It's hard to answer your question without a whole lot more info - what's your budget, what's your taste, what's your hobbies? Where are you starting from?

I started traveling solo at 14, and there are few places in the world I wouldn't go solo as a female traveler - the more conservative Muslim countries or parts of Africa come to mind. In Italy I got pinched more than a few times, but, hey, it wasn't fatal. I'd go to Italy again in a heartbeat.

In many places you'll also find a connection between your clothing/behavior and the hassle factor because of the local culture. Wear a tank top and shorts and in some places that's considered to mean "I'm available."
Well...I will be traveling on a tight budget wherever I go.

I really want to travel to all the major opens. Roland Garros, Wimbledon, Aussie Open, and the US Open.

I want to travel all over Europe.

I would love to go to maybe Ghana in West Africa. I would probably go to some other countries as well but Ghana is it for now.

Brazil and Argentina are high on the list too.

I have always liked the Dominican republic as well.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 7:01 am

I would love to go to maybe Ghana in West Africa. I would probably go to some other countries as well but Ghana is it for now.
Ghana is definitely cheap and safe, but I will caution that most young Western women traveling alone to Ghana are profiled very heavily by the authorities as possible drug mules. Expect to have your possesions and persons searched thoroughly on multiple occasions.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 7:35 am

Programs: AA/Delta/Hilton
If this would be one of ur first international trips and since you're >14, go with Europe. You can visit Paris (RG) and London (Wimbledon). With the stronger dollar, trips to Europe are more affordable. For cheap: Stay at hostels (rooms for men or women), get an interrail card and travel to whatever country you want to whenevery you want. Alternatively hitch a car ride with someone, http://www.mitfahrzentrale.de/ (predominantly Germany) or go by bus, or go by Ryanair. Public transportation systems are exellent, don't rent a car unless you really have to. I've tried all of these options (predominantly in western Europe) myself since I was 14, travelling alone. And know of numerous women who have done the same. For the cleanest trip, stay within the EU, the most equal societies are the nordic countries (much more than than the US), followed by central Europe and UK (not really Europe). If you don't mind being pinched (maybe like it) and don't mind being surrounded by locals (men) when/if u go topless on a beach, go to southern Europe.
For even cheaper stays: globalfreeloaders.com if you're willing to accommodate.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Where are some good places someone like myself can go without being hassled to much? I would travel with friends but I usually find myself irritated and prefer to be on my own....I really want to travel to all the major opens. Roland Garros, Wimbledon, Aussie Open, and the US Open.

I want to travel all over Europe.
Then do it. Sounds like the Grand Slams are really something you'd like so start there. I can't speak for how easy it is to get tickets to RG or Wimbledon but I'm sure you can do the research to find that out. You can priceline hotels in both London and Paris and use their excellent subway systems to take you to and from tennis. I was in both cities several times on my own and felt perfectly safe. You just follow the same common sense rules about personal safety you use at home.

The US Open is ridiculously expensive and frankly, it shows to me that the USTA only wants to make the best of pro tennis available only to those who can afford it. That said, you can join the USTA and one of the perks you can get is getting tickets to Flushing early and thus you can plan your trip to NYC. You of course can Priceline NYC too. NYC is an easy place to travel on your own.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:48 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by Stars4SA
Wear a wedding ring.

Dress like a nun.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 2:52 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Originally Posted by Analise
The US Open is ridiculously expensive and frankly, it shows to me that the USTA only wants to make the best of pro tennis available only to those who can afford it. That said, you can join the USTA and one of the perks you can get is getting tickets to Flushing early and thus you can plan your trip to NYC. You of course can Priceline NYC too. NYC is an easy place to travel on your own.
During the first few days of the of the US Open you can gets a grounds pass for $45-55. It provides first-come, first-served access to Louis Armstrong Stadium, the Grandstand and all of the field courts where you're super close to the action. On a nice day, it's a lot of fun to wander the grounds.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by cheepneezy
During the first few days of the of the US Open you can gets a grounds pass for $45-55. It provides first-come, first-served access to Louis Armstrong Stadium, the Grandstand and all of the field courts where you're super close to the action. On a nice day, it's a lot of fun to wander the grounds.
You better get there around 5am and hope that they haven't sold out by the time you get up to the window. I would never recommend that strategy to anyone who weren't a local.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:18 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
The first few weekdays? Never had a problem. Take the 6:30 Amtrak down, hop on the LIRR, arrive at the tennis center 20-30 minutes before the opening. A couple of hundred people in line tops.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by cheepneezy
The first few weekdays? Never had a problem. Take the 6:30 Amtrak down, hop on the LIRR, arrive at the tennis center 20-30 minutes before the opening. A couple of hundred people in line tops.
I've done it too many times (prior to my joining the USTA) to find that over 2/3 of the time, I was not able to buy a grounds pass. You can recommend it. I won't for anyone who isn't local.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:38 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles & More
Thumbs up

Hi OnABudgetDiva,

I'm a fellow budget traveler in my twenties. I've been traveling alone now for a few years and I've been loving it

When I first started out my main concerns were safety and security and being alone 24/7 without being able to share anything with anyone. First of all, I soon noticed that traveling alone doesn't equal being alone or feeling lonely. When staying at hostels, I always meet interesting people from all over the world and with whom I can just have a chat, a beer or even end up traveling for a few days. Secondly, meeting locals is often the most memorable part of a trip, so you shouldn't be afraid of just talking to people in the street.

Safety and security is always an issue to be considered. But knowledge is power and I became confident in traveling alone firstly by reading all traveling safety tips I could find and then by putting it all into practice when traveling. If you don't want to learn all as you go along, check out: http://www.bootsnall.com/guides/solo-travel-guide/

Good luck!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.