Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Recently been to Tehran? Esp any women?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2008, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Alaska,

The Facts; U.S. woman road warrior, business travel to Tehran, 10 days, big chain hotel, need do's and don't's. Already know about head scarf and overcoat upon landing. Anyone got the 411 re fitness center protocol in hotel or other comments?

Would appreciate hearing what you have seen and heard that might be relevant.
Many Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2008, 5:18 pm

Programs: IHG, M&M, FB, Avios, ALL, etc.
I was there a fortnight ago, for business too, although I'm a man. It looks like you know everything already! Sorry about you having to wear the scarf, my colleague was so pissed about it!

Regarding the fitness centre and swimming pool, men and women can't share it at the same time, and I believe that it's unthinkable to be naked in front of other people (of the same sex, of course) in the locker room, let alone the sauna or steam bath!

On the other hand, food was pretty good and I met some real nice people, but as a whole, I can't say it's in my Top 10 countries...
Old Nov 6, 2008, 7:02 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let's see if we can get some added assistance by moving this to our Women Traveler's forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:04 pm

Programs: I have commitment issues.
Was in Iran in 2000 and now have an Iranian sister-in-law here in the US.

What I didn't know when I visited - Iran women are pretty darn chic.
I had a wonderfully helpful tourist official-type guy aided me when I crossed the border in 2000. After all the ppwk was done and I was about to be on my merry way, he let me know, very diplomatically, that Iran people loved color and fashion and what I was wearing just wasn't up to snuff. (Hey, there weren't alot of options in Doyubeyazit, Turkey.)

Not that you would, going on business, but don't look like a schlub.

Can't help on the fitness center/hotel question. I stayed in rather downscale bathroom-down-the-hall type places. In fact, one early morning as I wandered bleary-eyed down said hall, I forgot my scarf. Couldn't figure out why people were staring at me.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.