Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anything better than baby wipes if no shower?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anything better than baby wipes if no shower?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:53 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by essxjay
I'm hooked on Olay 4-in-1 water activated cleansing cloths for my gym and travel bags, and not just for face cleansing. The best description I can think of is disposable, pre-treated washcloths. They are utterly feather-light, about the thickness of copy paper, strong enough to withstand a several of rinsings and have sufficient cleanser do a decent job. I use two at a time, one for face and one for everywhere else. The "gentle" version has almost no scent it. Rinses well leaving no weird residue. A pkg of 30ish runs about 7.99.

+ 1

I always have a few of these stashed in my toiletries bag and in my carry-on. I find that the premoistened "baby-wipe' version tends to leave a thin residue that eventually irritates my sensitive skin over the course of a long travel day.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: American Airlines, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Marriott rewards, hotels.com
Great ideas! I get tired of smelling like a hospital with the wet wipes. My problem is my hair. Its short but gets oily overnight. I usually wet my hair and comb thru it in the rest room, but would be nice to find a way to clean it better.
Operagal
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by operagal
Great ideas! I get tired of smelling like a hospital with the wet wipes. My problem is my hair. Its short but gets oily overnight. I usually wet my hair and comb thru it in the rest room, but would be nice to find a way to clean it better.
Operagal
Dry shampoo will help soak up the oil. I prefer decanting a little DIY dry shampoo into mineral makeup sample jar and using a small fluffy makeup brush since a little goes a long way. A translucent dusting powder might also do the trick (experiment at home before a shower?).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I've had mixed luck with dry shampoos, but one trick I read online (I think Corporette) said to put it on at night (guess it soaks in better, looks less powdery with more time) It helps some, but mine gets pretty limp & oily so I need to add more in the morning, and, well....By then I might as well do a quick wash, right?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Quick wash works for me

Every year I cut my hair a little shorter. Time and effort saved.

I still carry along a few baby wipes, but am shopping for the Olay product discussed above.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, AA-Gold, DL-Plat
If you are in an international terminal whether its a layover or waiting to take off on a long flight, you wash your face with the sample facial soaps in the duty-free makeup section then go to the bathroom and wash your face. This saves you carrying soap with you and you get to try a new product
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:39 pm

I need something for my face, needs to be very gentle. I use Cetaphil to wash my face. I wear very light make-up, usually just a moisturizer and a blush. Do these wipes need to go in the 3-1-1 bags?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I need something for my face, needs to be very gentle. I use Cetaphil to wash my face. I wear very light make-up, usually just a moisturizer and a blush. Do these wipes need to go in the 3-1-1 bags?
There are lots of gentle wipe options available - try a few (before travel) to see what works best for you! I'm still using Simple (because I bought a 4 or 5 pack at Costco and typically only use wipes when I travel...Might take me a while to use up :-) I stick in a ziploc to extend the moisture life in case the adhesive cover isn't great...)

And no, no wipe has to go in the 3-1-1 bag. Which is why I have wipes of all sorts for travel (nail polish remover, face cleanser, hand wipes....)
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
Do these wipes need to go in the 3-1-1 bags?
Wipes are wet but they aren't considered liquid. To me, the whole point of wipes (vs a small container of Cetaphil, which I also use) is that they don't take up space in my 3-1-1 bag. ^
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:09 pm

Apparently you can get a shower at the CDG airport hotel for 20 Euros.
http://www.yotel.com/en/hotels/paris...s/shower-cabin
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:14 am

Cheesecloth to wash up.

Cheesecloth works well. Fold over several times to thickness needed for "washcloth". Open completely for a quick dry, or pop back into its baggie to dry later. Take another for drying. They weigh virtually nothing, are reusable and economical. This was all many years ago, before baby wipes etc. As for soap, I always used whatever was at hand...even no soap was better than no wash-up at all!

Early European B&B's often did not offer washcloths, and this is when I learned about this method. On a 14 hour overseas flight, cheesecloth washcloth wetted and placed over the face during sleep, somewhat keeps your sinuses and skin hydrated.

P. S. Wash the cheesecloth before using.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA
When I had my first knee replacement in 2016, the rehab place I was in used ReadyBath Select wipes...I did not get a real shower for days on end and they worked amazingly well. I have sensitive skin and they were absolutely not irritating and if there is a fragrance (it says there is) I sure cannot notice it.
I buy them and carry a pack or two when I travel, just in case for freshening up. quantities.
This link is for a case but if you see the product specs I think they sell elsewhere in smaller quantities
https://www.amazon.com/Medline-Ready...+bathing+cloth
Old Nov 23, 2017, 11:20 pm

I've used Dude Shower Wipes (unscented). They come in small individual packets, or in single packs of 8 count. I have sensitive skin and haven't had any issues, and feel 'clean enough' afterwards..

Forgive the name; if they were called Lady Shower Wipes they would come in stupid pink box and likely cost more!

Link is for 2-pk (10 wipes in each), but has 1-pk or single sample options.
https://www.amazon.com/Singles-Unscented-Naturally-Soothing-Hypoallergenic/dp/B01GGXNTN4/ref=sr_1_5_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1511504140&sr=1-5&keywords=dude%2Bshower%2Bbody%2Bwipes&th=1

I also use the Olay Singles for my face. Again, sensitive skin - no issues.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:16 pm

Actually Witch Hazel is very good for this. It is antibacterial, an great facial cleanser and is good to get rid of odor and that icky feeling . You can pre-soak some washcloths or paper towels in ziplock bags or take a small bottle.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:14 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
One neat trick with baby wipes is that they can also double is spot removers so I do bring them along with Olay or other facial wipes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.