Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Milan June 8, 9 - shoppiing or ... ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2005, 10:32 am
Original Poster

I have two free days in Milan next month. I am planning to window shop. Suggestions for any affordable shopping? Any particular items? I have lovely gloves from Florence from a tip here. Other ideas for Milan?

Sylvia
Old May 13, 2005, 11:50 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I know most will suggest the expensive designer shoppes and yes those would be worthwhile for window shopping--- but for the real thing, go to Rinacente (directly across from the Duomo), very large chain department store. Be sure and leave time for a bite to eat on their rooftop restaurant. It's very reasonably priced and you're 'cheek to jowl' with the spires of the Duomo. I also found reasonable shopping along the Via Dante that has lots of shoppes and restuarants. This street starts on the other side of the Galleria Emanuele and continues down to the Castello Sforzccso--which is a large castle/fort/art museum that leads out to a big park.
Old May 13, 2005, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SylviaCaras
Other ideas for Milan?

Sylvia
You're in Milan. What's better than their shops? La Scala!! June 8 is Otello. http://www.teatroallascala.org/publi.../EN/index.html

Go to the Duomo, one of the world's greatest and largest examples of Gothic architecture. It's awe inspiring.
http://www.virtourist.com/europe/milan/02.htm

Go to the Castello Sforzesco (Sforzesco Castle). It was originally a military fortress but was made into a castle. It houses masterpieces by Van Dyke,
Titian and Corregio. It also has Michaelangelo's Pietá Rondanini.
Old May 14, 2005, 9:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Skymiles Plat, United Premier Exec
If all you're planning on doing is window shopping...the mall and shops across from Il Duomo are the way to go.

Spend a day visiting Lake Como. It is incredible. It is a short train ride from Milan, and take the boat ride to Bellagio. What a beautiful trip!!! I got much more out of it than the shopping.

Keep in mind that the boat ride takes a couple of hours both ways...and there are two train stations in Milan. They are both close to one another...but I had to learn it the hard way.
Old May 15, 2005, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Good point about the 2 stations, Flygirl. I did take the train to Lake Como from Milan via the Central Station and it was a pretty quick 50 min express ride. Coming back I figured I'd do the same. Train came in, going to Milan so I
just got on--problem was this was the slow local that went to 'the other station'. There was no sign, nor any conductor on board-- just lots and lots of stops (that we had whizzed by on the way). It wasn't a big problem although it did take much longer, luckily I was able to just get a subway back to my hotel from the other station. But there were quite a few other tourists
who were throughly confused when we pulled in.

fir
Old May 17, 2005, 9:37 am
Original Poster

thanks

Thanks for the ideas. The lake trip sounds lovely - I'll see what the weather is like and if I end up actually have the whole day free. I appreciate the tip about the trains, will try to find out how to differentiate express from local and which station. I may need to also be aware of that coming in from the airport.

Ciao,

Sylvia
Old May 20, 2005, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Hotel Johnny - 2* ?

The conference has put many of us at the two star Hotel Johnny. I'm pleased it is walking distance to the venue; I'm nervous about only two stars. I don't care about central areas or amenities beyond clean, quiet, safe, cozy.

Anyone heard of it?

How low is two starts in Italy? In the US, I think even Motel 6 has three stars.

Sylvia
Old May 20, 2005, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SylviaCaras
In the US, I think even Motel 6 has three stars.

Sylvia
Now that's scary. I think Motel 6 is really 1 star.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.