Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness
Reload this Page >

flying with a cold - ear pain

flying with a cold - ear pain

Old Mar 13, 2005, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UAL Premier Exec, SPG and HH Gold
Just wanted to say how much I appreciate this thread. In December, I was suddenly in incredible pain during a landing in DCA. After a frantic trip to CVS, I started taking DayQuil and Nuprin and the flight back two days later wasn't as painful. Then yesterday, landing in LHR I had serious pain again. I ran to Boots and bought Sudafed. Landing in ORD last night wasn't as painful, but my ears were still blocked until about 4 hours ago (12 hours after landing). I have to fly again Friday night and Sunday night and plan to implement several of the suggestions here. Most of all, though, I really had no idea how serious a risk this is to my ears--something to take into account in deciding whether a trip is worth the risk.
Thank you!
Old Sep 9, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, AirTran A+ Rewards
As the poster above me said, thank you everyone for your tips. I have severe ear pain in one or both ears on every descent, and thought I was alone. Now I know that I'm not, and I am going to follow a few of these suggestions for my trip to Long Beach this Thursday. I plan to start taking Sudafed now, and then having some Afrin and Earplanes on hand for the flight. I really hope this works, because I am tired of being temporarily deaf at my destinations - and I especially do not want to end up being permanently deaf.

(By the way, just noticed how old this thread was - wow! Talk about an epic bump!)
Old Feb 8, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Still very good tips.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nasonex is my swift decongestant of choice now that it is non-prescription.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Nasonex is my swift decongestant of choice now that it is non-prescription.
Didn't realize it had gone to OTC. Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:43 pm

This elderly thread is more appropriate to the Travel Health and Fitness forum (which I don't believe existed at the time). Please continue to get your ear pain flying tips there.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 1:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Still very good tips.
Bumping up a thread not replied to for eight years... may not be necessary . I have asked the Moderator to move this to Travel Health and Fitness forum, where it actually belongs.

There, a more recent thread has a lot of information:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...tc-thread.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.