Search

Liposuction

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2004, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Liposuction

Ok All,

I reread the thread on plastic surgery. I want to know more about liposuction. Anybody had it done? Are you happy with it? How long was the recovery? ect..... I am seriously thinking about it. I have had cosults with two different doctors. Just need to decide. I am pretty sure I want to but and trying to cover all my basis.

Any and all comments welcome!

To make this travel related I will be putting the cost on my points earning CC.

[This message has been edited by MoreMilesPlease (edited Mar 21, 2004).]
Old Mar 21, 2004, 8:20 pm

Okay, I'll go first. I did have lipo under my neck.

I was getting a double chin that wasn't cute anymore. In fact, someone took a picture of my mother and me in profile, and our profiles looked identical.

That's when I decided to get it done.

It was easy. The day of the surgery I felt like $hit, but I took all the pain meds that they were willing to give, and I rested.

I think I was in bed for 3 days. After that I milked it for what it was worth, but I felt pretty good.

You have to wear elasticized wraps around the area liposuctioned. Since mine was my neck, it looked like I was wearing a girdle sideways on my head. Really cute! In fact, I had to wear that for the full week until I went back to the plastic surgeon for my checkup.

I'd love to have more, but I haven't got the ready cash right now. But I think I might get abdomen (sp?) and midriff done some day.

I also knew a girl (in her 30s) who got her thighs, midriff and belly done. They gave her an elastic slack type thing to wear. Oh, also, the day she had her surgery she also gave her daughter a birthday party. So she must have been in pretty good shape.

Good luck. What are you thinking of doing?

Rita
Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:38 am

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
Having lost 65 pounds last year, I am seriously considering having a "tummy tuck" done. I wonder if my doctors take my MP Visa??
Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Kate
Old Mar 22, 2004, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I'm considering lipo too (for thighs that don't seem to budge even when I lose weight and exercise). My deal with myself is that if I'm still not happy after hitting goal weight and exercising 3+ times a week for at least six months, I can get it done.

I found a top notch guy here in Dallas who comes highly recommended. I'm mainly worried about recovery and infection.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks All,

I'm thinking of having my thighs and tummy done. Interested mostly in recovery time from someone who has been through it. I know the risks about infection and all the associated cosmetic uneveness ect....
Old Mar 22, 2004, 7:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Someone told me they added a tummy tuck to the hysterectomy they were already scheduled for, and it only added an extra $5,000. Only.

She also said it was the best money she ever spent.

For me, I'm getting the 5,000 miles painlessly by signing up for direct deposit with BankDirect.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:12 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MoreMilesPlease, email me if you'd like details about tummy lipo. It's great if your extra fat collects there. No pain to speak of and quick recovery. Don't know about thighs and don't expect it to "work" if you are overall overweight.

Be forewarned that once your tummy and/or thigh fat cells are removed, anything you gain goes elsewhere, such as breasts and butt.

Old Mar 23, 2004, 4:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I had once considered plastic surgery. I went to an amazingly honest surgeon for a consultation. Here is the fabulous (an even inspiring) advice that he gave me:

"Get to your ideal weight and work out until you are in perfect shape. Stay there for at least one full year and then decide what you want to have done."

Well, I am certainly not yet at my ideal weight, but I am getting there little by little--I have lost 28 pounds and have 14 more to go. I have now worked out more or less 6 days a week for 9 months so I am getting closer and closer to being in "perfect shape", whatever that is for a 60 year old woman. My core body strenghth, balance and flexibility have all increased dramatically and I have lost 4.5 inches from my waist, so all of that is good.

I bless this man for getting me off my duff and into taking action. It would have been so easy for him to just take my money and do the surgery for $12,000.00, but he chose to give me the truth for a $50 consulting fee.

I still haven't permanently ruled out surgery, but am so blown away by the changes that diet and exercise have achieved that it seems less and less likely with each passing day.
Old Mar 23, 2004, 6:27 am
Original Poster

I am pretty much at my right weight...give or take that few "family pounds" (you know the ones that leave but always show back up to cause problems..LOL) So am looking to get rid of some inherited thighs and pouch that has decided to move in permanently. Still deciding.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Talking I'm Post-Op 4 hours

I had it done this morning. Tired and painfull at the incision sites. Won't really know what the results are few a few weeks. If anyone wants details let me know.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 7:39 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I know you said you know the downsides, but I just thought I'd mention some for anyone else who might be considering it. I had a friend come extremely close to dying from liposuction gone very bad. Just be certain you get a very well-trained doctor. It's not something I've followed closely, but last I knew a dermotologist could perform lipo after attending a weekend training session. Shop wisely.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Smile

I wish you the very best results, MoreMilesPlease. :-: :-:
Old Apr 30, 2004, 9:34 pm

MoreMilesPlease,
Congrats on your surgery. To be posting in Flyertalk only 4 hours after surgery is fabulous. I slept for the entire day.

I hope you bounce back quickly.
Old May 1, 2004, 4:21 am
Suspended

Smile

I also highly recommend working out 6 days a week, even after liposuction.

Here is a photolink to the progress I have been able to achieve just through diet and exercise, following the advice of that wonderful plastic surgeon. I still have a long way to go, but am not at all ashamed of the progress I have made with my 60 year old body.

Last edited by Punki; May 1, 2004 at 4:27 am
Old May 1, 2004, 5:16 am

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Punki

Wow, you look great! ^

By the way, was that workout AFTER you've had liposuction, or were you just recommending working out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.