Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Going straight to a memorial service from flight -- what to wear?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador

I am traveling on Friday (pre-planned). Now it turns out that a beloved family friend has passed, and there will be a memorial service that evening. I usually wear just jeans, a tee, and a cardigan on days like this, but given that I will have to go straight from the airport to the memorial service, I think I will just wear whatever I will wear to the memorial service.

It's a conservative society (think American South), so I am thinking a skirt suit. Will it be all right if I bring my hobo bag (the one I usually travel with) and just leave it in the trunk of the car? I just can't see packing a lovely little dainty black handbag that won't go with anything else on the trip. I figure at least the skirt suit I can break up and wear as separates during the rest of the trip.

Honestly, it doesn't matter. I am heartbroken, and focusing on something small and controllable. Sigh.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: BA GfL
Very sorry for the loss--what a rotten way for things to happen on your trip.

I might just go with a skirt and lightweight cardigan over a short-sleeved shirt (in whatever color seems appropriate). Then you can use all of those items as separates on the trip. If you're a jeans/t-shirt/cardigan type of person, as I also am, a blazer will not be what you want to be hauling around and fighting to keep wrinkles out of.

I have a couple of small Kipling purses in various colors that are good for squishing into a carryon--that might be a good option for a handbag that won't take up much room or require you to bring a giant carry-all into the memorial service. Marshalls/Ross/TJ Maxx are your friends here.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Very sorry for the loss--what a rotten way for things to happen on your trip.

I might just go with a skirt and lightweight cardigan over a short-sleeved shirt (in whatever color seems appropriate). Then you can use all of those items as separates on the trip. If you're a jeans/t-shirt/cardigan type of person, as I also am, a blazer will not be what you want to be hauling around and fighting to keep wrinkles out of.

I have a couple of small Kipling purses in various colors that are good for squishing into a carryon--that might be a good option for a handbag that won't take up much room or require you to bring a giant carry-all into the memorial service. Marshalls/Ross/TJ Maxx are your friends here.
These are all good tips. I think a black skirt, t-shirt, and lightweight ivory cardigan will be perfect. My black St. John knits are too warm for the Caribbean, especially this time of year.

Thank you.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Sorry for your loss!

I have a St John black knit dress that I have worn in warm temps (Orlando in May, last year) but it's sleeveless (I wear with a cardigan) and I was inside most of the time. I find my black misook knit dress (pretty much the same style as St John ;-) is a little lighter weight and better in the summer temps. I love traveling with both of them (I am a big fan of knit dresses for work & travel and am fortunate enough not to need a suit).

An idea for a bag to carry instead of your hobo - what about just a wristlet? I have a few and often use as wallets inside a larger bag for regular travel use - but I can take it out and use as an evening bag when needed, for a credit card & a little money, keys, lip balm and my cell phone....
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I actually have a short-sleeved black St. John that I was on the fence about bringing with me (I am going on a cruise on Saturday, and it could work for one of the formal nights). If I wear it on the plane, problem solved. I could buy an inexpensive wristlet at Bendel's tomorrow (my hairdresser is above them, so I have to pass through). Not a bad idea.

Thank you for all the ideas, ladies. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around all of this.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Sorry for your loss. Do you know if the memorial service will be indoors or out? If indoors, you want to account for air conditioning. I wouldn't want to do a suit as that would be too hot IMO even going from the car into a building and definitely too hot if it's an outside service, so a nice dress would be a better option.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
Sorry for your loss. Do you know if the memorial service will be indoors or out? If indoors, you want to account for air conditioning. I wouldn't want to do a suit as that would be too hot IMO even going from the car into a building and definitely too hot if it's an outside service, so a nice dress would be a better option.
It's in a church. Roman Catholic (I think). I don't know if it's air conditioned, though almost everything down there is, because it would be unbearable without ac. Unless there are rules in the Catholic Church against that sort of thing, but I wouldn't know about that. I mean, they heat churches in the winter, don't they? Don't they?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ysolde
It's in a church. Roman Catholic (I think). I don't know if it's air conditioned, though almost everything down there is, because it would be unbearable without ac. Unless there are rules in the Catholic Church against that sort of thing, but I wouldn't know about that. I mean, they heat churches in the winter, don't they? Don't they?
Yes they heat and air condition churches. With air conditioning, I was thinking more about the fact that it can be too cold inside, so you want to make sure you have a sweater, even if it is 100+ outside.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
Yes they heat and air condition churches. With air conditioning, I was thinking more about the fact that it can be too cold inside, so you want to make sure you have a sweater, even if it is 100+ outside.
A-ha! True. It's 100º outside, and 65º inside. So a cardigan is a good thing to have.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A-ha! True. It's 100º outside, and 65º inside. So a cardigan is a good thing to have.
I leave a blanket at church as we have one deacon that turns down the temp if they see even one person fanning themselves, even if the thermostat is already at 65 degrees.

Last edited by wrp96; Jul 14, 2017 at 7:57 am
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
So you're combining the memorial service with the cruise trip in the same luggage? I think that the outfits you're considering for the memorial service would work well on the cruise so if you need to mix packing - should be fine! Good luck.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
I actually have a short-sleeved black St. John that I was on the fence about bringing with me (I am going on a cruise on Saturday, and it could work for one of the formal nights). If I wear it on the plane, problem solved. I could buy an inexpensive wristlet at Bendel's tomorrow (my hairdresser is above them, so I have to pass through). Not a bad idea.

Thank you for all the ideas, ladies. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around all of this.
Was already going to comment to offer condolences & recommend getting a tiny wristlet or cross body,but this reply sealed it - if you're in NYC, your hairdresser is the same as mine (so amazing with my crazy hair!). I was in bendel's before my appointment last Friday and there is a sale right now, you might find a great deal!

But I do also second looking at tj maxx - I have a waterproof coach wristlet from there I am planning on taking on a cruise in two weeks, it's cute enough for night, but functional enough to be by the pool/beach & get a little banged up.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerStef
Was already going to comment to offer condolences & recommend getting a tiny wristlet or cross body,but this reply sealed it - if you're in NYC, your hairdresser is the same as mine (so amazing with my crazy hair!). I was in bendel's before my appointment last Friday and there is a sale right now, you might find a great deal!

But I do also second looking at tj maxx - I have a waterproof coach wristlet from there I am planning on taking on a cruise in two weeks, it's cute enough for night, but functional enough to be by the pool/beach & get a little banged up.
Thank you. I am in NYC, yes. They are fantastic at taming "difficult" hair and making it look amazing. I will take a look and see if I can find a wristlet at Bendel's, especially if there is a sale.

If I have time, I will stop by TJ Maxx. I also need to stop by the drugstore and go to the bank. There is never enough time in the day, is there?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
So you're combining the memorial service with the cruise trip in the same luggage? I think that the outfits you're considering for the memorial service would work well on the cruise so if you need to mix packing - should be fine! Good luck.
Checked the other thread for a packing list refresher - a black wrap dress would probably work paired with a cardigan, too? Also works for dinner in main dining room or nicer specialty restaurants.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.