Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Need help with wardrobe for London August 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with wardrobe for London August 2017

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:11 am
Original Poster

I'm built like a defensive linebacker. Broad shoulders, long legs and a thick middle. However my bones are sticking out everywhere and tummy is decreasing. Nothing except juniors jeans look good on me. I also don't have a tushie, never did, its just flat. So jeans with some spandex look good on me. Surgeon said after weight is stabilized for a year I can think about skin removal surgery, but only need it on my tummy. Arms never were a problem. Its hard to explain but at this stage I still feel fat even though I'm not. I'm back at the gym working as hard as ever. Until I lose more weight....

I do appreciate everyones suggestions.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by bibbju
Reading this thread, I'm wondering why no-one has mentioned dresses?
I'm guessing because someone who normally wears & travels with dresses wouldn't post a thread asking about packing shorts. We bring dresses & skirts no matter what

(yes, I'm one who wears dresses all the time and finds them quite easy to pack & travel with - I wear skirts occasionally at home but rarely travel with them - I know they should be more flexible in a capsule wardrobe but it never seems to work out that way for me.)
Old May 15, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, UA Mileage Plus, bmi Diamond Club
Well, this has been an eye-opener! I am 34, female, and yesterday went out in shorts in London. It was hot, so of course I did!

I agree I probably wouldn't go to the theatre or for dinner in shorts, but walking around the city or an afternoon in the pub? You bet I would.

I live near Greenwich and see people in shorts all the time in summer. I don't know if they're locals or tourists, I don't really care as long as they don't stop in front of me to look at a map ;-)

OP: wear what you feel comfortable in. No one will judge you or treat you any differently if you wear shorts instead of trousers (well, apparently some people will). People will assume you're a tourist because an awful lot of people in London are tourists, not because of your clothes. I suspect your accent might make people think that too...

Have a wonderful time whatever you decide to wear!
Old Jun 3, 2017, 10:11 pm

Rethinking shoes and safety

This post about shoes is in no way meant to make light of the London tragedy tonight.

We leave for England soon. It is horrifying to read about the attacks they suffered in Manchester and London recently, and frightening as well as all attacks happened within a quarter mile of places where we will be staying. We will not cancel the trip, however, because we refuse to let the bullies win.

What we will do is try to travel smart, stay aware and keep safe.

The advice posted by the London Police is "Run - Hide - Tell" - I can't run in high heels, loose sandals or tight skirts. That means I'm changing what I bring to England: more secure fitting walking shoes, no heels, no clothes I can't run in.

Other planning ahead: tonight we programed the UK emergency number into our phones, added @metpoliceuk and @BBCBreaking to our Twitter feeds.

Wherever you go, whatever you wear, stay safe.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
This post about shoes is in no way meant to make light of the London tragedy tonight.

We leave for England soon. It is horrifying to read about the attacks they suffered in Manchester and London recently, and frightening as well as all attacks happened within a quarter mile of places where we will be staying. We will not cancel the trip, however, because we refuse to let the bullies win.

What we will do is try to travel smart, stay aware and keep safe.

The advice posted by the London Police is "Run - Hide - Tell" - I can't run in high heels, loose sandals or tight skirts. That means I'm changing what I bring to England: more secure fitting walking shoes, no heels, no clothes I can't run in.

Other planning ahead: tonight we programed the UK emergency number into our phones, added @metpoliceuk and @BBCBreaking to our Twitter feeds.

Wherever you go, whatever you wear, stay safe.
I totally agree. Originally I planned to take a black pair of trainers, aka running shoes and a more colorful pair as well. I just bought a new pair yesterday morning. My plan remains unchanged. I'm not cancelling my trip. I love the UK and its people.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

I haven't added any comments in awhile, but a new situation came up. Researching a day trip from London I came upon an air show at Herne Bay, called the South East Air Show which I will attend. It's on the beach and I've secured VIP seating. I usually attend several air shadows a year. This is one exception where I'll wear longer shorts that come to my knee, more like capris. But, not quite like traditional capris, slightly baggy but flattering. Think LLBean casual style. I can't pass up a chance to see The Red Arrows and a Lancaster WWII bomber.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:48 pm

I agree with the others to consider skirts or dresses. They are more comfortable than you might think. I also like capris and don't think they have the negative associations that shorts do, especially if you pair them with wedge sandals.

The only other thing I might suggest is to get a split slip. When it's hot, anyone without super skinny thighs can easily get prickly heat, and once you have it, it can make walking miserable.

Last edited by whitearrow; Jun 27, 2017 at 3:02 pm
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

I've had my share of prickly heat. Skorts are way too short on me. I'm just going to stick with what I have. Unless in my shopping spree next week I find something.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I recommend these:

https://www.jockey.com/catalog?depar...pshort#/page=1

under skirts / dresses in summer to prevent prickly heat. They come in different lengths, the ones I prefer are about 2" above the knee. The added bonus is they preserve your modesty if there is a gust of wind or unfortunate taxi exiting moment!

Last edited by emma69; Jun 29, 2017 at 8:11 am
Old Jun 28, 2017, 1:22 pm

I wear dresses pretty much non-stop April - October (I live in southern US and have a business casual workplace - I quite often wear a cotton tank dress & cardigan every day for work) I alternate between various incarnations of Jockey shorts (I like the "cooling" ones) and men's wicking long-length boxer briefs. Because they tend to be about half the price of the jockey or spanx or whatever version of the shorts for women (I don't usually want a compression short, but I do have one pair of actual Spanx shorts when I need/want that profile - usually I just want to keep my sweaty thighs from touching each other....)

This is one example: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma69
I recommend these:

https://www.jockey.com/catalog?depar...pshort#/page=1

under skirts / dresses in summer to prevent prickly heat. They come in different lengths, the ones I prefer are about 2" above the knee. The added bonus is they preserve your modesty if there is a gust of wind or unfortunately taxi exiting moment!
I can't even think to wear men's underwear. I'll stick with my Monkey Butt anti-chaffing powder.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:11 pm

Forget the shorts, bring a jacket!

Arrived in the UK yesterday. The recent heavily advertised heat wave is over.

Cold, damp and raining. Typical British weather!

We'll be outside most of today and I'll be wearing capris - because I don't want the hems of my nicer slacks to get muddy.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I can't even think to wear men's underwear. I'll stick with my Monkey Butt anti-chaffing powder.
The Jockey link you quoted is for women's underwear. I wear those - but I *also* wear men's boxer briefs because they can be cheaper (my link - not quoted - was men's). They work just fine. Powder alone does not work for me - I sweat. I do not glisten or glow, I sweat. Even Lanacane anti-chafing lotion (it's a silicone derivative) only lasts an hour or so for me in really hot & humid locations.

But if powder works for you (my husband loves the Monkey Butt and also one of the Gold Bonds) it's certainly cheaper than specialty underwear ;-)
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

I went to the Grove City outlets today. Bought two (light weight) travel type trousers; black in color, size 8. Wow, proud of my weight loss. I wanted a khaki color, but out of my size. Bought several tops; stylish tees at Eddie Bauer. One pretty tunic. I must have tried on dozens of styles and types of outfits without success. Skirts just didn't fit right. I did find one nice cross body purse at a Fossil. My BF actually spent more than I did; on shoes. Not giving up. Next shopping trip is Ross Park Mall later this week.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:06 am

Nice finds! (and good for you for the weight loss!)

You were looking for compression tops too, right? (another thread ) Any luck there??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.