Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Dress shoe help for long days of walking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dress shoe help for long days of walking

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 1:06 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I walk a lot too and found that firmer stiffer shoes offer more support where I need it the most. I invested in a pair of made to measure JM Weston boots for cooler months, custom orthotics and have quite the arsenal of footcare products in my carryon. My current go-to is my custom orthotics made for slimmer dress shoes with a gel pad over it. Just the custom orthotic itself can be a bit stiff. I also found that having foldable ballet flats with additional drugstore gel inserts help throughout the day. Back in the hotel, I have a pair of Chaco flip flops with aggressive arch support that somehow helps realign my foot at the end of the day.

Depending on what your foot issues are, look into Mephistos, Arcopedicos and Chacos for hotel wear.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL, AA
One other thing to consider... if you are looking for some super-comfy shoes for the evenings, try a pair of dance shoes. I took a Tango class years ago & fell in love with the shoes. Made to be on your feet & look good. Lots of support & cushioning. Many styles to choose from.

The leather soles aren't durable for long walks down the street to a venue, but inside / during an event, they are fantastic. And after a day on my feet, if I have to put on a pair of heels, odds are that my shoes will have come from the dance store rather than the shoe store. Even if I'm not planning on dancing.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso
Originally Posted by scoow
One other thing to consider... if you are looking for some super-comfy shoes for the evenings, try a pair of dance shoes. I took a Tango class years ago & fell in love with the shoes. Made to be on your feet & look good. Lots of support & cushioning. Many styles to choose from.

The leather soles aren't durable for long walks down the street to a venue, but inside / during an event, they are fantastic. And after a day on my feet, if I have to put on a pair of heels, odds are that my shoes will have come from the dance store rather than the shoe store. Even if I'm not planning on dancing.
That is rather brilliant! Where might one find such shoes?

So far, from the help of all you lovely ladies, I have a pair of Dansko's from Sierra Trading Post I am wearing to see how they fit and feel.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 12:26 pm

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I so feel your pain - been there more times than I care to remember. After a huge amount of trial and error, I've found that Mephisto is totally right for me - a happy discovery in Galleries Lafayette after totally wrecking my feet in the wrong shoes in Paris.

For pants, particularly in winter, these loafers (from Sierra Trading Post years ago) are sensational. I've also just purchased
these these
from Amazon for $90 for more of an everyday shoe (works with skirts, for sure). I've found that metallics are awesome travel shoes as they're exceptionally versatile.

Good luck!
Old Mar 27, 2016, 2:00 pm

For a more fashion-forward line of super comfy shoes - I recommend Chie Mihara. The designer is a former podiatrist, and the shoes are stylish/cute and amazingly comfortable. They're not cheap but last forever and I can wear them all day, walking around with no discomfort. You can often find them on sale.

Amazon.com: Chie Mihara Women's Jaranda F Dress Pump: Clothing Amazon.com: Chie Mihara Women's Jaranda F Dress Pump: Clothing

http://www.shoescribe.com/us/women/c...acLQQ&tp=44593

http://www.shoescribe.com/us/women/chie-mihara
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:45 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by scoow

+ 1 ^

My mom has been getting her favourite dancing shoes resoled at the cobbler's for a second life as street shoes. Dancing shoes have suede bottoms and foot beds.

Google Latin dance shoes or Ballroom shoes for more formal looking shoes.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:50 am

Following as I'm interested to hear what everyone suggests for this as well.

I teach healthcare classes and I'm 5' tall. So standing all day in front of 40+ students, I want to have a little (I know, but 1" is 1"!) bit more height. My feet cannot handle heels and as this is a bodywork class as the instructor, my dress is casual/professional.

I have been through several brands through the years. I am between sizes for Dansko and they are mostly too clunky for me. Merrill will work sometimes as will Born. Lately I've been using Cobb Hill which is the same company that makes New Balance running shoes. Something like this usually works well for me, but it wouldn't work for formal/semi-formal (imo) :
http://www.cobbhillshoes.com/Cobb-Hi...t=6&cgid=11000
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:50 am

I also like the Ecco brand. You also might look at Munro shoes - they sell them at Nordstrom and on line. Have multiple widths and can be somewhat stylish. In general, I think you need to have 2 comfortable pairs and then change back and forth every day.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:27 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I just spent 10 days walking around Japan in these

https://www.thewalkingcompany.com/da...ee-black/42562
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL DM 1M, UA Ex Pr MM
SAS are the best!

SAS are the best, sandals, pumps or loafers. I wear an 11 wide and have never had trouble with any of the shoes not fitting. For more casual, I also like Sketchers with the 'natural fit' which have a wider toe box (since I don't need a wide heel).

This is a great thread, lots of other options to look at! Thanks all!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:06 pm

Chiming in with $0.02

Hello - late to this thread, just saw it. My trade association has a trade show every year. Random thoughts, no particular order:
1) sometimes switching shoes midday is a lifesaver if you can bring a spare pair with you/run to your room during lunch.
2) switch out shoes at least daily (I.e., bring a minimum of two pair of shoes). That will help minimize blistering and rubbing problems.
2) I like Clarks and Taryn Rose as a fashionable shoe. Taryn Rose is more formal than Clarks. The founder of the shoe has a orthopedic background. For me, her shoes are sometimes hit/miss, so I definitely recommend buying a few months in advance and finding one that works for you. They have pretty good arch support. Clarks look more orthopedic-y to me. Don't love the look, but my feet stay happy. I've looked extensively in the comfort shoe section and that was the best I could find that didn't look as if I belonged in a nursing home.
3) If look is not all-important, I HIGHLY recommend Kalso Earth. They have a negative heel and I find I can stand in them for hours. You could wear maybe the Mary Janes with trousers. They have a square toe box, so PLENTY of room for all toes to breathe. Also a huge fan of Chacos - you'd probably want the loafers, which may be too casual. They've got great arch support. I hiked all day in a pair of Chacos and my feet could have continued (the rest of me gave out).
4) wear a comfy pair of shoes in the evening to give your feet a rest, if you can.
5) foot rollers!!! I know they sell them at REI in the yoga section. If not during the day, then maybe morning and evening to massage the kinks out.

If I think of anything else, I'll add to this thread.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:30 pm

Frankie4! Best and most comfortable sylish shoes around.

I am also late to this thread but keen to contribute! I haven't found anything that is more stylish and comfortable than Frankie4. I can wear heels again all night! Not sure on their international shipping policy but with the Aussie dollar the way it is, the exchange rate is rather favourable. https://frankie4.com.au/
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:30 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Starwood Preferred
I wore Sketchers in a Mary Jane style on a six week (summer) holiday round Europe & the UK. I have flat feet and I'm usually wearing orthotics at home, but the Sketchers were fabulous without them - most of the time I wore them but also took a Pair of Birkenstocks if it was a stinking hot day. They are not quite so easy to walk in. The other thing I found very helpful was wearing long flight socks, if not possible during the day, then to sleep in - they stop the aching legs and swollen feet
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:19 pm

"Foot" anti blister balm

In the process of looking for something completely different, I came across Foot. The website claims it will "Protect your feet and toes against rubbing that causes blisters, chafing, raw skin, and hot spots."

Has anybody tried it? I have a pair of navy loafers that are gorgeous but just about killed me the first time I wore them - massive blisters on both heels. It was of course the first evening of a 4 day conference, and I spent the rest of conference wearing flip-flops, but hey, it was Los Angeles.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:14 pm

Arcopedico

I like to wear Arcopedico shoes when travelling and walking lots. Made in Portugal, washable, lightweight. Slightly stretchy, so no 'break-in' time needed. They come in flat and heel closed and open shoe options (and some 'Grandma' options for people with bunions etc. if needed). Cost is $90-150 depending on the style.
http://www.zappos.com/arcopedico

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.