Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Best all-day walking boots - for leggings

Old Dec 4, 2015, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM

Hi all,

Am desperate - need advice on best, well cushioned walking boots that look great over leggings. Am looking for both knee length and short boots. I'll be going to Italy for 2 weeks and will be walking/sightseeing 5-6 hrs a day. Most boots I tried on do not give enough support for balls of my feet - which is my big problem as I have a very high arch. Balls of my feet seem to be on fire when I wear regular good-looking shoes. Sneakers are the only option and I really really don't want to wear sneakers every day. Help please. Am looking for under $200 boots.

Thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:40 pm

Have you tried using OTC insoles like Superfeet or Pedag in your current boots?
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:50 pm

I recently purchased these:
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/blondo+valen...?prodId=332130

I work in Tribeca (NYC) and my commute involves a lot of walking over cobbles, etc. I have several pairs of riding style boots but I wanted a waterproof leather pair. These have become my go to boots and I wear them daily for work. They are incredibly comfortable and the thicker sole really reduces the impact on uneven surfaces. They are truly waterproof as well.

You may need to add inserts for your high arch but I tend to have a very heavy, sharp step (and am no stranger to pain in the balls of my feet as a result) but I have had no pain with these boots at all. I just love them.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Blondos have been too narrow for me when I've tried. I've had good luck with Keen (I go up a half size) in ankle or knee boots. The thick soles are great for all day walking and the arch fits me nicely. Our feet are all different so you'll have to try a few to see which fit you best...
Old Dec 4, 2015, 4:47 pm
KCZ

I just walked all over London in these short boots. They are incredibly comfortable with enough room for Sofsole inserts. I find flat soles to be easier on uneven cobbles or bricks than anything with a heel. They even look nice in a size 11.
http://www.zappos.com/cobb-hill-pandora
Old Dec 5, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: I've lost count
I walked all over London, Rome and Venice for 8-10 hours per day in these
Dansko Ona Dansko Ona
ankle boots. I ordered them right before my trip and they didn't require any breaking in.

They're very comfortable, with flexible soles and a cushioned, anatomic footbed that is removable should you wish to insert your own orthotics. They can be dressy or casual, and look great with leggings, skinny jeans, skirts, etc.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:37 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by pindi
Hi all,

Am desperate - need advice on best, well cushioned walking boots that look great over leggings. Am looking for both knee length and short boots. I'll be going to Italy for 2 weeks and will be walking/sightseeing 5-6 hrs a day. Most boots I tried on do not give enough support for balls of my feet - which is my big problem as I have a very high arch. Balls of my feet seem to be on fire when I wear regular good-looking shoes. Sneakers are the only option and I really really don't want to wear sneakers every day. Help please. Am looking for under $200 boots.

Thanks!
Can't you wait until you get to Italy to buy the boots? Just returned and the dollar is so strong and the shoes are so great. I wore my Van's leather shoes most of the time. Very comfortable for walking. www.vans.com
I wear the classic style and also have a very high arch.
Have a great time.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:48 pm

Glad I came across this thread! Thanks for the links and the thread starter as well! ;-)
Old Dec 5, 2015, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by rsqrott
I have these boots, I put inserts in them from the Walking Company. I spent two weeks earlier this year walking all over England and Scotland in the Blondo Valente boots and these Fit Flop boots. The Fit Flop boots didn't require an insert for me, they have a very deep cushion in the heel and are super comfy.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Blondos have been too narrow for me when I've tried. I've had good luck with Keen (I go up a half size) in ankle or knee boots. The thick soles are great for all day walking and the arch fits me nicely. Our feet are all different so you'll have to try a few to see which fit you best...
I love Keens but exactly so, all feet are different. Keen boots are too wide for me in the heel but Keen Newports are my all day casual walking shoe for the summer (way, way casual).
FWIW, I have been thinking about this thread (sad) and realize that I had forgotten about the pretty much constant pain in the ball of my right foot since I have been wearing the Blondo's...as a result of there being no pain with the Blondo's.

OP I don't know where you're located but if you have a DSW nearby you'll be able to try on numerous different brands listed in this thread and see if any work for you fit-wise. I know they carry Dansk Keen and Blondo at least.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Can't you wait until you get to Italy to buy the boots? Just returned and the dollar is so strong and the shoes are so great.
I'm all for shopping during travel but it seems the epitome of insanity to plan to buy a pair of shoes or boots on a trip with the plan to immediately wear them to walk miles and miles. There's a reason most people recommend traveling in well broken-in shoes if you're planning to do a lot of walking^

(no reason not to buy some shoes or boots and wear them in the future though)
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I'll be checking them out. Thanks again.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 2:00 am
Suspended

I'm not sure if they're your answer fashion-wise but if you're going to spending that long on your feet I'd recommend the best walking shoes I've ever owned.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/womens/...n-header-women
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Clint Bint
I'm not sure if they're your answer fashion-wise but if you're going to spending that long on your feet I'd recommend the best walking shoes I've ever owned.

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/womens/...n-header-women
Which boots from Merrell?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:06 am

I used to love Merrell, but when they changed their last (and/or my foot aged) they are no longer comfortable. I have some really old shoes that still fit great (old old moc style) that I keep babying along in hopes they won't completely fall apart

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.