Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:26 pm

LOVE this thread!

I'm going to Amsterdam and Paris early this Spring. Any pointers?
Old Mar 24, 2016, 7:05 am

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Originally Posted by profnot
LOVE this thread!

I'm going to Amsterdam and Paris early this Spring. Any pointers?
I agree! Really appreciate the thoughts of the more fashion conscious among us. Updates?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Seattle: BAD fashion news!

Bad news, ladies. "Show your underwear" season has arrived. Recently was in Seattle and about every third female had some type of underwear showing. Seeing a skinny tank top strap floating on top of a bra strap just looks so tacky, and if you're going for short shorts, rethink the boy shorts underneath.

One interesting thing about Seattle style is no matter what the weather, you'll see a portion of the population, both male and female, in mountaineering clothes. I have no idea if these folks actually climb mountains, or just dress like they do.

Back at home in Philadelphia the weather is unpleasantly hot and humid. I'm seeing a lot of ladies in shorts and tanks, but usually not the skinny strap tanks that I saw (too often!) in Seattle. Personally I've added a couple casual Indian cotton skirts to my summer line-up.

Where are you and what are you wearing this month?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:10 pm

One word: linen. I can't get enough. Linen shirts, linen dresses, heck, I've even gone entirely to linen sheets. Somehow it just feels right with as hot as it is outside.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I want linen sheets but husband vetoed. I got linen pillowcases last year to test and he doesn't love. They'll be soft enough for him in a while longer, but I don't think he could survive the breaking in process if I bought the entire sheet set ;-)

I just ordered some linen pieces from JJill & Neiman Marcus clearances. Love that summer store clearance hits when the highest temps hit as well!

Spent last weekend up in Boston - lots of women in dresses, which is my summer norm as well. Usually very "staid" (again, my style as well ) no matter the age - I didn't see a lot of "exposure" which I appreciate.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I am in NYC, and I have gone into summer whites mode:

White (and off-white) pants paired with lavender plaids or traditional navy striped tops. I bought myself a very summery A-Line dress in navy and white, with loose short sleeves. So very comfortable and versatile. For very casual days, a pair of white bermuda shorts feel heavenly. When I am going to the movies or somewhere with excessive air conditioning, I carry a cardigan with me.

In terms of footwear, I tend to revert to my childhood summers in Spain, and wear espadrilles whenever I can during the summer. They are so very comfortable, light, and versatile. For dressier occasions, a low heeled sandal does the trick.

My hair is frizzing out, and I either let it be, or pull it back into a low pony. Make-up is minimal.

That's it. And that's what I love about summer!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Buster
One word: linen. I can't get enough. Linen shirts, linen dresses, heck, I've even gone entirely to linen sheets. Somehow it just feels right with as hot as it is outside.
There's a downside to linen: ironing!

I have several linen tops, and I think it may be 4 years since I've worn them. How can you think about ironing when it's 90ºF and 85% humidity?

Best thing about gauzy Indian cotton is that it's supposed to be wrinkled.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:11 pm

I don't iron most of my linen. Or if I do iron, it's once a month. I hate ironing! (I lived with my mom in grad school - we were in the same program, she was divorced at the time - she did the ironing and I did the grocery shopping - trading off chores we hate^)

I like my linen un-ironed far more than cotton, ironically. So most of the summer I try to wear knit dresses
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:50 pm

I don't iron either. I'm fine with the slightly rumpled look that unironed linen has.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Back at home in Philadelphia the weather is unpleasantly hot and humid. I'm seeing a lot of ladies in shorts and tanks, but usually not the skinny strap tanks that I saw (too often!) in Seattle. Personally I've added a couple casual Indian cotton skirts to my summer line-up.
I'm headed to Philadelphia in a couple of weeks - I can't say I'm looking forward to the humidity. I've been ruminating on what to wear. I'm there for an athletic event, so the daytime clothing doesn't require any thought, but I need to figure out what to wear in the evenings.

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I want linen sheets but husband vetoed. I got linen pillowcases last year to test and he doesn't love. They'll be soft enough for him in a while longer, but I don't think he could survive the breaking in process if I bought the entire sheet set ;-)
My husband bought me linen sheets for our (counts on fingers) 25th anniversary. I love those sheets with a passion. I love them in the winter and in the summer.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Katja
I'm headed to Philadelphia in a couple of weeks - I can't say I'm looking forward to the humidity. I've been ruminating on what to wear. I'm there for an athletic event, so the daytime clothing doesn't require any thought, but I need to figure out what to wear in the evenings.
I'd suggest avoiding synthetics, go sleeveless and loose rather than clingy. Lately I'm wearing more skirts than usual, but I know our circumstances are different.

No matter what clothing you select, putting your hair up is the most comfortable option. It's a great chance to show off one's dangly earrings. ¡¡

[can somebody create a chick smiley for this forum? all those bald ones look like guys]
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:50 am

I'm a big fan of the maxi dress (though my preferred shape is just a long slender tank, which isn't necessarily the easiest shape to find these days). The trip to Boston was a sort of practice run for the Asia trip we're doing later this year - cruise + time in Singapore & Hong Kong on either end. Only one day did I wear shorts (and only half of the day) The rest of the time - I was in dresses. I overpacked for a 5 day trip - 2 short dresses + 2 long dresses and then 2 pr pants (never wore the linen pants - wore the cotton for the plane trips because I don't fly in dresses or shorts) So now I'll rejigger my packing plans for the 20 day Asia trip - a couple more dresses, fewer pants/shorts^ And I'm growing my hair out because it's just too short to stay up properly (The cut itself is the best length on me but I hate summer & travel when I can't make a ponytail :-)

(I'm hoping to bring the new linen dresses I ordered - they arrive on Tuesday, hoping I like them and they fit properly!)
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:00 am
Original Poster

DC - what's in for "work casual" now?

Will be in DC next week for my work. It's in the entertainment industry (not a lobbyist! ) and wondered what folks there are seeing in this heat? I know the ethos there is different from what I see in NYC and LA.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Will be in DC next week for my work. It's in the entertainment industry (not a lobbyist! ) and wondered what folks there are seeing in this heat? I know the ethos there is different from what I see in NYC and LA.
From a cursory observation on today's Metro commute: lots of sleeveless dresses and sandals galore. The more adventurous ladies (like yours truly, who's in Pivotte's desk-to-date dress) are wearing pieces with cutouts.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:02 pm

Headed to NY next week...what's everyone wearing these days? The weather looks like it's actually going to be fairly nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.