Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 3:56 pm
KCZ

Woven or fine knits. Not fuzzy. Some with metallic threads. All sorts of colors and wrapping techniques. I've even seen some men wearing them.

Last edited by KCZ; Nov 26, 2015 at 4:06 pm
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Sounds like what I saw in Shanghai last week too - lots of skinny black pants & leggings with cozy sweaters & either ankle boots or sneakers (it wasn't that cold) or sweater dresses over tights with ankle boots.

So I guess I know what I'll pack for Beijing next week and London in January (though I won't bring a wool coat - too heavy to travel with - I have some insulated nylon coats from Lands End I like for travel - will just pick insulation value depending on weather forecast just before the trip)
Old Nov 28, 2015, 12:24 pm

In Berlin earlier this month: lots of black and grey and some navy, with little or no color. Plenty of Chelsea boots and sneakers galore, as the uneven pavements make it tricky to walk in anything besides flat soles, low wedges, or stacked heels. There were a few women (including yours truly) in fur/fake fur, but most everyone had on puffers or wool overcoats, though there was one guy in a fantastic MA-1 flight jacket in Mitte.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by ysolde

Speaking of tights, I did note that Wolford has quite a lot of new styles out in their merino range. I did break out of my all black all the time habit and bought a pair of gray merino tights. I know, living on the wild side, I am.
Wolford tights are my go to tights. I have their merino tights in a bunch of different colors as well as their 80 denier matte tights, their patterned tights (it's a sickness). With proper care their tights last for years and I live in them all winter long.
If there's a Wolford outlet nearby it's definitely worth a visit.

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I've been going to NYC for film makers events recently, and seen much less black than expected. More grey w/ jewel tone accents at the formal gig, and a lot of jeans in various shades at the film festival.

My last trip up was one of the those very cold days we had ~2 weeks ago. Puffy jackets are IN (but you won't see one on me!).
Since I do the 2 hours to NYC commute pretty much daily I don't care how puffy the coat is as long as it's warm. And since the weather turned cold I am seeing loads of those shapeless down coats with faux fur trim on the subways and streets.

One thing that does baffle me though is the large amount of LV Keepalls that I see getting toted around on the subway. Keepalls and other open topped totes with no closures. I cringe thinking about the lack of security. I'm obviously getting old. Wooly tights, puffy coats and zipped up bags
Old Dec 5, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Love Wolford-- I still have a couple of pairs that date from circa 2004 or so. They're a bit worn, but they're still going. In the last few years, I've switched over to dancer's tights, specifically the Capezio mesh, which isn't actually a mesh or fishnet but has a slight texture. Bloch also makes a super soft and durable tight as well. For those, it's best if you can size up to make them a little more comfortable. I'm no longer dancer skinny so I might switch back to Wolford. But Capezio and Bloch are both good options at less than half the retail cost of Wolford.

That said, I've worn tights once so far this season. It's in the low 50s today in New York, and I've been out bare legged, with low shows. Granted, I didn't see a lot of other bare-legged women out and about, but it's really not cold yet. I'm a bit befuddled by the major puffy coats and parkas I've been seeing!
Old Dec 5, 2015, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsqrott
One thing that does baffle me though is the large amount of LV Keepalls that I see getting toted around on the subway. Keepalls and other open topped totes with no closures. I cringe thinking about the lack of security. I'm obviously getting old. Wooly tights, puffy coats and zipped up bags
What's an LV Keepall? That's a new term to me.

I confess to having both open and closed top totes. I usually use the open ones for running minor errands and never put valuables in it as I also carry a purse. The tote might have my lunch/snack, maps or paperwork, small purchases, umbrella, etc. Once indoors I'll stuff my scarf and gloves in it as I don't like having them bulging out of my pockets.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 2:49 pm
KCZ

Louis Vuitton Keepall. But I thought they all had zippers and snap thingies.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Mlle_Mustard
It's in the low 50s today in New York, and I've been out bare legged, with low shows. Granted, I didn't see a lot of other bare-legged women out and about, but it's really not cold yet. I'm a bit befuddled by the major puffy coats and parkas I've been seeing!
Maybe they're thin blooded like me and haven't managed to regulate their body temperature yet?
Speaking for myself when I leave the house it's still dark and everything is covered by a thick layer of frost. Two hours later when I'm popping out of the subway like a mole person I'll be blinded by the sunlight and surprised by the mild temps. But I'm still stuck in the puffy coat that I left the house in.

I'm an avid motorcyclist and I was always amused by how (for me) summer going into fall, 50 degree temps meant freezing and break out the parka but winter going into spring 50 degrees meant take the bike out...

Originally Posted by KCZ
I see them gaping open with just that little snap thing across the center not doing much to keep anyone out.
I doubt that I ever would have noticed this prior to Flyertalk. But my search for the "right" travel bag has had me scoping out everybody's bag. It's funny how I have started to recognize some of them too ("Look a Lo & Sons OMG!").
Most women are loaded up like pack animals on the commute and I am no exception. Crossbody laptop bag and a LeSportsac medium tote (zipped shut) for files, lunch, etc. I really tried to make some of my gorgeous leather bags work but they were just too heavy. And while the medium tote doesn't work for air travel it's perfect for the commute.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 1:52 pm

Those ubiquitous LV totes are the Neverfull, not the Keepall. It's a great bag, but not for doing one's daily commute with.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by edcaya
Those ubiquitous LV totes are the Neverfull, not the Keepall. It's a great bag, but not for doing one's daily commute with.
Neverfull! That's right...I apologize for any confusion. The Keepall is more of a neat duffle shape, right?
Regardless it's lots of gaping open Neverfulls and an equal amount of Le Pliage (zipped) on the 6 train.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by KCZ
Op is thinking of the neverfull - I use mine for commuting and I have never had a problem

The keepall is a duffle bag
Old Dec 29, 2015, 11:42 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Oops - I should have read further down the thread.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Central Florida: the look is ...

Just back from central Florida where it averaged 85º F for the entire 10 days. This means the sleeveless tops I packed were worn often, and the sweaters worn not at all. However I am proud to say I never wore what seems to be the typical tourist uniform: tank top with bra straps showing and too-tight shorts. We saw way too much of that every day, every place: UGH. Perhaps the oddest thing to me is that this look was seen on every generation.

Another generational note: the little boys I saw were dressed like normal little boys. But a surprisingly large percentage of the little girls were dressed like "princesses" in (vastly overpriced) Disney dresses, tiaras, make-up, fancy hairstyles, etc. I find myself wondering about the future of women when society is increasingly dressing its daughters like fairy tale creatures, and to an extent, sexualizing them from toddlerhood on. [/omnirant OFF]
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I really hate those Disney princess outfits (outside of Halloween). Join you in rant.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 6:27 am

I'm an NJ->NYC commuter and am seeing a lot of the lighter weight "packable" puffer coats, long and short. I'm also happy to report that many more women are realizing that leggings are not pants and are wearing them under short dresses or long tunics rather than as standalone trousers (!). I can't get into to the faux fur trend, though like Hoyaheel, I do like a leopard print here and there. I'm traveling to London in a few weeks with a mostly black wardrobe and my Chelsea boots and a pair of leopard print flats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.