Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

The Periodic Random Fashion Report - NYC

Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I see lots of Chelsea style ankle boots without zippers. I currently have ~4 pairs of ankle boots, I think. One black chelsea (no zipper) 1 wedge brown leather & suede (zipper), 1 wedge black (laces) and another combat/granny style (lace-up) in leather & sweater cabling.

I have such a problem with ankle boots - I never feel like I have the right pant to wear with (and I don't like them with short skirts on me). I only want to wear them with a skinny pant that is rolled higher than the boot or with a wider leg that comes to the floor, basically covering the boot. I'm paralyzed often by my pant/shoe issue ;-) So I just skip wearing the ankle boots!

Actually - the granny/combat boot is a little taller (mid-calf) so I can wear it over skinny pants or jeans, and that's fine.....
Old May 31, 2017, 6:06 pm

Heading to NYC toward the end of June. Might end up having a picnic in Central Park. What's the appropriateness of hats for sun protection in NYC? I've never thought about a summer hat there in the past....

I've tried looking for street photos but the current weather isn't the best for summer hats, I don't think ;-)
Old May 31, 2017, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Heading to NYC toward the end of June. Might end up having a picnic in Central Park. What's the appropriateness of hats for sun protection in NYC? I've never thought about a summer hat there in the past....

I've tried looking for street photos but the current weather isn't the best for summer hats, I don't think ;-)
I'm a 100 miles from NYC but our weather is the same, and we haven't seen the sun for a week!

As far as hats in NYC, well, I wouldn't wear a cartwheel hat, but I think pretty much anything else would be fine.

I'm trying to figure out how to pack a hat for England this summer on a trip with minimal luggage. I do own a couple hat boxes, but I shudder to think what some FT'ers would say if I tried to put one in the overhead bin!
Old May 31, 2017, 7:00 pm

I have packable straw hat and also sun sombreros from outdoor research and ex officio, and rain hats. I'm hoping I won't need the rain hats at the end of June (though we walked the Brooklyn bridge July 2015 and got caught in a huge thunderstorm!)

I'm thinking the straw hat might be more "city" acceptable?
Old May 31, 2017, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

I have packable straw hat and also sun sombreros from outdoor research and ex officio, and rain hats. I'm hoping I won't need the rain hats at the end of June (though we walked the Brooklyn bridge July 2015 and got caught in a huge thunderstorm!)

No guarantees on the weather, but personally I would go for fashionable straw over hiking casual in NYC, even for Central Park.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:23 pm

Well, if the weather is bad, we won't have a picnic in the park, so I'm not worried about that. I am worried my options are utilitarian and not city stylish :-(
Old May 31, 2017, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Well, if the weather is bad, we won't have a picnic in the park, so I'm not worried about that. I am worried my options are utilitarian and not city stylish :-(
Just a thought, but for the sake a single picnic, why not check out the street vendors? Throughout most of the touristy areas of NYC every street corner has tables of seasonable merchandise - for $5 I found a scarf I love on a freezing January day when I'd managed to forget mine.

My favorite hat came from an art & wine fair a few years back.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis

I use a rain hat around the city, and have a few baseball style nylon hats I wear if I'm going to be outside for a while, but have been looking for a nice packable straw one. Have been looking at a bunch of wallaroos - which hat do you have?
Old Jun 2, 2017, 8:58 am

Mine is a $5 or $10 grass (I think that's what it is - more flexible than straw so you can moosh it in a suitcase) from TJ Maxx a few years back. They usually have some options this time of year - super cheap. The downside to this kind of sunhat is that they don't (usually) have straps, so they're not great for certain kinds of sports/travel (eg sailing ;-)
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:47 am

I bought this hat last year and took it to London packed in my suitcase. It survived and looked good with a sundress.

There's also this one that I saw online. It looks cute too (probably more stylish for the city), but has less coverage.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
I saw a packable straw hat by Coolibar at a local shop recently. It was very cute. Not cheap-about $45-but I am going to buy one.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:56 pm

So I am going to be visiting Spain this summer-5 days in a small town in the Basque Country, 5 days in Barcelona and a week in a house on the Costa Brava. Traveling with my husband and four almost grown kids. I am going to pack light and am in need a packing/fashion consult.

My cool weather travel wardrobe includes 2 pair of black pants, a black skirt, tops or sweaters in white and black in various sleeve length and weights for layering and scarves to change my look. I am not sure what to take for this trip. I live in New Orleans so during hot summers I wear breezy dresses and the only pants I can stand are linen (I don't mind casually rumpled). I wear a lot of white which is not so practical when I have to wear a few times before washing. Ideas?

Shoes are always the biggest challenge as i need something that I can walk in for long distances but still look attractive. I am 50 something and not a fashionista but I don't want to look frumpy, either. I would like to limit myself to three pairs. I have a comfy pair of Eileen Fisher Sport sandals which I can wear all day and are not too goofy and a pair of wedge espadrille sandals (Andre Assous) which are also very comfy. I am considering some Superga or similar canvas tennis shoes for my third pair. I am seeing them with dresses/skirts and also pants but wondering if I am too old for the look. Any advice or suggestions?
Old Jun 5, 2017, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmom4
So I am going to be visiting Spain this summer-5 days in a small town in the Basque Country, 5 days in Barcelona and a week in a house on the Costa Brava. Traveling with my husband and four almost grown kids. I am going to pack light and am in need a packing/fashion consult.
Sounds fun, I'd love to come with you!

My cool weather travel wardrobe includes 2 pair of black pants, a black skirt, tops or sweaters in white and black in various sleeve length and weights for layering and scarves to change my look. I am not sure what to take for this trip. I live in New Orleans so during hot summers I wear breezy dresses and the only pants I can stand are linen (I don't mind casually rumpled). I wear a lot of white which is not so practical when I have to wear a few times before washing. Ideas?
Black might be appropriate in the Basque County, as it seems most ladies there over a certain age wear only black, but I wouldn't wear it in Barcelona or on the Costa Brava. For one thing, it might quite hot. We were looking into going to Barcelona this summer, and one thing that turned off my son is that a friend was telling us Barcelona "is very, very fashion conscious" - not what a teen boy wants to hear.

Somebody online - maybe LL Bean? - has washable linen pants that I came across recently. Add a blue or khaki pair?

Shoes are always the biggest challenge as i need something that I can walk in for long distances but still look attractive. I am 50 something and not a fashionista but I don't want to look frumpy, either. I would like to limit myself to three pairs. I have a comfy pair of Eileen Fisher Sport sandals which I can wear all day and are not too goofy and a pair of wedge espadrille sandals (Andre Assous) which are also very comfy. I am considering some Superga or similar canvas tennis shoes for my third pair. I am seeing them with dresses/skirts and also pants but wondering if I am too old for the look. Any advice or suggestions?
I wore sneakers that looked like that back in the '70's. Been there, didn't like them then, don't like them now. Tastes differ, others may love them.

For extensive walking and trying to look decent in a skirt or dress, I like these shoes by SAS. Comfortable, durable, not too young/trendy/doofy for my taste.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:15 am

So, three weeks in urban, rural (?) and beach areas - always fun to pack for I would stick with some of the breezy dresses you wear at home (I'm in NC and a cotton knit tank dress is my favorite thing in the world for work & leisure! And it packs well) Linen would be ok - at least 1 pair? Though I agree I'd skip white (but then, I rarely wear white bottoms at home since they'd be dirty so quickly) What about something like the Eileen Fisher crepe pant? It's almost too heavy for me in some heat (I flew in them but had a hard time wearing them out in Singapore last Nov, for instance). Or a cotton ankle length slim pant, a la Audrey Hepburn (or, wide leg is popular now too if the style suits you - go towards the "other" Hepburn ;-)

I'd take your favorite pieces and see how they fit/where your holes are from one of Janice's templates on TheVivienneFiles The 4X4 or the "Whatever's Clean" templates might work for you....
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:06 pm

Thank you, Hoyaheel (can you be a Tarheel and a Hoya simultaneously?) for the link to the Vivienne Files. I have explored the travel capsule wardrobe idea in the past but, for some reason, the way she describes it makes more sense to me than most. Perhaps it is simply that her style is somewhat similar to mine so I can see myself in those outfits.

I'm with you on knit dresses-they are the best when the temp is high and you feel pulled together. I think that you are right about avoiding white. I have a favorite pair of white linen pants which I may be able to find in navy and that might do the trick.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.