Wiki Posts
Search

mirror in hands-on luggage

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:38 am
Original Poster

mirror in hands-on luggage

Dear all,

I looked at the following 11 pages, but I couldnīt find this topic covered, so I simply ask you.

Are there any experiences with a (hand) mirror and airport security? Normally, I always carry a (small) mirror with me, because I have sensitive eyes and I need to put in eye ointment ect.

However, now, that my trip to Madagascar is coming close, I wondered, if the mirror might be a problem and should be in my checked-in luggage? Of course, there are mirrors in the plane (toilet) available and also during the transit, therefore, itīs not that important for me, to carry my own mirror. Nevertheless, I am curious.

Do you have any experiences (good, bad) with mirrors?

Thanks in advance,
prism
Old Sep 27, 2015, 1:33 pm

I always have a small mirror in my carry-on and have never had any problems. The mirror is handy for applying eye drops during flight.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I always have a mirror with me. No issues
Old Sep 28, 2015, 8:49 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I can't think of any personal handheld mirror one might carry that would break any security carry-on rules. I always have a small compact mirror in my makeup bag when I fly. (with my aging eyes, I've been looking to upgrade - I want one that has magnifying on one side, and maybe suction to attach to a hotel mirror)
Old Sep 28, 2015, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Hi there,

thank you all for the info! Then I will leave my mirror in my carry-on.

I asked, because once I forgot a little (! really little) swiss knife and I had trouble to put it in some checked luggage.

Again another time (domestic flight) I forgot to sort out a fork and a knife, which I originally got on a plane (!), and had fortunately the time to check in my carry-on luggage... but so... good to know, that I donīt need to take care for the mirror!

Have a nice day/evening,
prism
Old Sep 28, 2015, 4:18 pm

No problem with carrying a mirror in hand baggage; in fact, one of my favorite on-board buys from a duty-free catalog was this LED mirror compact.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:36 pm

I've never had any trouble traveling with a glass mirror. I think the biggest risk is to the mirror itself in this case. I'd recommend investing in an unbreakable plastic mirror and not have to worry about it breaking in your bag during transit. As a bonus, they're a lot lighter weight than glass mirrors.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I can't think of any personal handheld mirror one might carry that would break any security carry-on rules. I always have a small compact mirror in my makeup bag when I fly. (with my aging eyes, I've been looking to upgrade - I want one that has magnifying on one side, and maybe suction to attach to a hotel mirror)
Tweezerman makes a great little magnifying mirror with suction cups on the back that's distortion-free and lightweight:

http://www.tweezerman.com/store/prod...ifying-mirror/

I will warn you in advance that seeing your pores at 12x magnification can be traumatic.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:53 am
Original Poster

I will warn you in advance that seeing your pores at 12x magnification can be traumatic.
Today 3:36 am
hahaha

cool, thank you all for sharing your experience! I guess, I will stick to my "old" mirror as itīs just working fine (I have it now for at least 10 years, and it probably is not the lightest, but I donīt want to through away stuff, which is still good working and I donīt need two of them... I even take it on my mountain tours - however, if I do a really heavy tour (I dream of one...), I might consider buying a lot lighter mirror though, so thanks for the link!).

As I read your comments, I probably will just leave it in my carry-on and I donīt have to put any more thoughts on this part. Therefore, thanks again and have a nice day/evening/night!

all the best,
prism
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by panicked
Tweezerman makes a great little magnifying mirror with suction cups on the back that's distortion-free and lightweight:

http://www.tweezerman.com/store/prod...ifying-mirror/

Yikes. That does look awesome! (I use a magnifying mirror at home - one of those flip lighted pedestal makeup versions - but I don't think it's 12X magnification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.