Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is mascara a liquid?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Is mascara a liquid?

Is mascara a liquid in the world of the TSA?

Are pocket sized cans of Static Guard permitted? If so, are they also liquid?

These, and similarly idiotic questions, one must ponder when attempting to travel carry-on only for a business trip.

I hate packing light!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Not idiotic

Originally Posted by CDTraveler

These, and similarly idiotic questions, one must ponder when attempting to travel carry-on only for a business trip.

I hate packing light!

Right after 9/11, mascara seemed to be a liquid, but I have not had a problem with it in a LONG time.

Not sure about the Static Guard. If small enough you can always run it through in a baggie to be sure.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by gretchendz
Right after 9/11, mascara seemed to be a liquid, but I have not had a problem with it in a LONG TIME.
At least 90% of the time, I forget to pull mine out and put it in my magic baggie. Either they've never noticed or never cared, because nothing's happened.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:19 am
Original Poster

The TSA was so busy spazzing out over my opt-out that they never actually noticed my second bag of "liquids".
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: Former AA Gold, SkyMiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I carry a travel sized bottle of aerosol hairspray (in a metal can) with no problems. Stick the Static Guard in your 311 bag and use the super small travel size one. (And I fly carry on only all the time.)

I haven't put mascara in a 311 bag in ages. I honestly don't think they can see what it is on xray.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:48 pm

I don't think I've ever put mascara in a 3-1-1 baggie.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I don't wear mascara but I do wear liquid eyeliner. My intention is always to put it in the 3-1-1 bag, but sometimes I forget and it stays in the makeup & jewelry bag. This has never been "caught" or questioned. Worst case scenario is I put the tube in the 3-1-1 bag if asked by screeners....

So my answer is "yes, mascara is a liquid"....but not usually a problem to TSA.

(note that I am extra careful when going through non-US security heading back to US, as those screeners are often FAR more strict than in the US - their reading of US rules is usually the explanation I get if I'm able to ask)
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: WS Platinum 18K so far this year

I hate packing light!
I had static guard confiscated from my 311 bag. It was the proper size etc. but didn't meet the need of "personal item" as it was for "laundry". It was as stupid an interpretation as I've ever heard but apparently is supported by the rules in Canada. Craziness.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by tlvancouver
I had static guard confiscated from my 311 bag. It was the proper size etc. but didn't meet the need of "personal item" as it was for "laundry". It was as stupid an interpretation as I've ever heard but apparently is supported by the rules in Canada. Craziness.
Oh, keeping your skirt from riding up due to static cling with your pantyhose (and thus, keeping your ... from hanging out) isn't "personal?"

Um, OK.

Also, curious how they feel about travel-sized bottles of laundry soap.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The TSA was so busy spazzing out over my opt-out that they never actually noticed my second bag of "liquids".
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, BAEC, SPG, Global Entry
I've gotten into the habit of keeping mascara and liquid eyeliner (both long and skinny)with the two pens and a pencil I travel keep in my purse and I've never had a problem in the US. The problem is going to be when I'm tired and absentmindedly line my eyes with a Sharpie.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 4:29 pm

According to the TSA app, it's to be in in a 3-1-1 bag.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:40 pm

TSA says allowable is 3.4 ounces or 100 mL of liquids placed in a quart-sized bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.