Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Light-weight, Compact yet Very Warm Ankle-length Robe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Light-weight, Compact yet Very Warm Ankle-length Robe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2015, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Question Light-weight, Compact yet Very Warm Ankle-length Robe

Hello!

I am Japanese, born and raised in Japan, but I've moved to Arizona over 20 years ago.

I visit my family in Japan almost every end of the year, where it snows and very cold. Also, no central heating like here in the US. You can see your own breath in the house, unless you are cozy by gas heater or KOTATSU (electric heated table with a blanket).

Every time, I have been packing my think-fleece Barney-suit (my fiancee called it because it's bright purple!) which takes A LOT of space in my suitcase!
So, I want to find a nice warm long robe, possibly zip-front, which is also light/compact for the suitcase.

Is it too much to ask? Does anyone know such item available?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:04 am

I purchased a long Uniqlo Ultra Light zip front down jacket in black from the American Uniqlo. It comes down to my ankles and has really helped keep me warm in the winter (we don't normally turn on the heater). It has less down than most US full length down coats (ie LL Bean/Eddie Bauer) but enough that I stay warm. The only problem is the slick material makes me slip forward in office chairs.

I've seen it in US store the last two fall/winter seasons. I'm not sure they carry it in the JP Uniqlo as it is sized for taller people, sold as calf length but I'm petite. It usually comes in black and dark brown. Mine came with a stuff sack and packs down to roughly the size of a shoebox, but a down coat can also be packed "loose" with plenty of things on it so it fills the leftover space, similar to how some backpackers pack sleeping bags.

Yes, it looks odd wandering around the house in a full down coat and comfortable house slippers. Does it look weirder than Barney-suit? I don't know. Sometimes I use a child's hot water bottle to warm my hands or even zip it in my lap if I won't move for a long time
Amazon Amazon
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:55 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
It's sort of the wrong season to shop for this in the US right now, but there are many places that sell cashmere and silk robes that are quite warm and not very bulky. Soft Surroundings and WinterSilks are two websites that come to mind first, but by no means the only places to look. I know that Saks has some great cashmere "loungewear" (I've been lucky enough to find a few pieces at thrift stores over the years! But Off5th often has some on clearance in the spring as well)

My husband and I love to travel in fall/winter (fewer crowds, cheaper prices) and often those trips are cold & wet, so we've learned to dress appropriately. I love merino base layers as well as silk - and I'll use the base layers as loungewear in our hotel or apartment - so you might look into that as well. Sierra Trading Post usually has a huge selection at discount prices (esp if you "like" them on facebook - they have 30, 35 and 40% off coupons regularly)
Old Jun 26, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Check out smart wool long underwear. It's soft and because it's wool, it's quite warm. I'd echo Hoyaheel and suggest whatever you get it be wool (cashmere or soft wool). Silk has the greatest warmth for its weight, but I find it not very warm. Your experience may vary from mine. (When it's really cold, I sleep in my smartwool long underwear.)
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:11 am

In season, STP usually has lots of smartwool and icebreaker merino items - and last year I picked up a few long and short sleeve merino shirts at my local Costco for super cheap. So great for travel!

Uniqlo heattech items are nice too. Tights are great, and tees, but no robes that I recall.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 5:42 pm

Can you buy something and leave it there? My in-laws are in Buffalo, NY, and I have a couple of warm winter items that I just keep in their house for winter visits.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: USA UAL DAL
Originally Posted by freecia
...I stay warm. The only problem is the slick material makes me slip forward in office chairs.
I commuted for 15 years on LIRR and MetroNorth and finally started carrying a spare mousepad to sit on - no more slipping!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the suggestions. But they are too expensive for my budget, and I would prefer thin-but-nice'n-warm fleece type...
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:15 am

If you can't find anything in the shops to your liking, it should be easy enough to find a seamstress who can put something together for you.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by yumiaz
Thank you for the suggestions. But they are too expensive for my budget, and I would prefer thin-but-nice'n-warm fleece type...
Originally Posted by edcaya
If you can't find anything in the shops to your liking, it should be easy enough to find a seamstress who can put something together for you.
Since we don't know what the budget is, not sure recommending custom would work either (certainly not around here, guess it depends on where you're shopping or even if you know someone handy with a sewing machine and can find fabric at a decent price)
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:24 am
Original Poster

My apologies

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Since we don't know what the budget is, not sure recommending custom would work either (certainly not around here, guess it depends on where you're shopping or even if you know someone handy with a sewing machine and can find fabric at a decent price)
OK, I understand. I'm sorry for the UNCLEARNESS of my question or criteria...

First of all, my budget is up to $40 USD, including shipping, $45 max. So, I will not tailor it, and I'm hoping I can find something suitable already made...

The reason I'm looking for this WINTER item in summer, is sometimes you can find a good deal in off season, and also I want to make sure I have it by the middle of Dec the latest. My planned trip departs on 12/25.

I didn't realize that it was going to be such a difficult task!

I even started looking at some Onesies, but I have never worn anything like it, and i can only imagine the inconvenience of going to bathroom, which especially in Japan, the bathroom (toilet room) is very small, although the seating is usually heated! LOL

Anyway, to recap my preference is:
- Thin Fleece but nice'n warm material
- Ankle long and front zip or snaps.
- light and compact for traveling
- Budget ~ $45 include shipping within USA (I live in Arizona)

I really appreciate all your help!

Thank you very much!!!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL - DM, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite,
Look at these kind if you are thinking of a onesize. It has a flapjack. It may solve what you are looking for.
Amazon Amazon
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fromles2u
Look at these kind if you are thinking of a onesize. It has a flapjack. It may solve what you are looking for.
Amazon Amazon
Hi fromles2u,
Thank you for the link. I DID think of Onesie, then thought of using Flapjack/Butt Flap thing, which I have no experience with it! LOL
Also, I will be wearing fleece pajama underneath, so it'll not work with my purpose...
But I do appreciate looking into helping me find the solution!

I didn't realize it was going to be such a difficult task!!! Nobody think of travel/suitcase friendly light warm robe with reasonable price???
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:51 pm

Search on Amazon for "Carole Hochman plush robe". There are several styles and colors around your price range. I bought one in Costco last fall but they don't have them in stock right now. It is very soft and very warm. It doesn't weigh much and can squish pretty small considering. I'm 5'4" and I have the one that zips up the front. It comes to just above my ankles - the model in the pictures is probably taller than I am. Since it closes all the way up to my neck and stays closed, it's probably your best bet for warmth.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by yumiaz
Nobody think of travel/suitcase friendly light warm robe with reasonable price???
For me, personally, I never travel with a robe. Everything I pack has multiple uses, so if/when I need warmth, it comes from merino or silk base layers (eg long underwear) or a coolmax travel blanket or a cashmere wrap. I stay warm - but all those items can be used outside of my bedroom/hotel room/apartment when I travel.

I think there are things like you are looking for around. I think (as I mentioned earlier) this isn't quite the right season to shop (too late for end-of-season bargains and just getting into them being available for fall/winter again in the US) and your desired price is pretty low. A regular cotton terry robe at Kohls could run you at least $40, so.....

Since your travel isn't until later in the year, it's possible something will pop up that will be Goldilocks-right for you^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.