Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Women are the largest emerging market

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2015, 11:10 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist

This came out of a travel conference this month (May 20) in Dubai.

The rise of the female traveler
“Women indeed are the biggest emerging market in the history of the planet,” Silke (director of Political Futures Consultancy) said, adding there will be 1 billion economically active women by 2020.

The savviest hotel groups are acting now to attract more of them, such as one property that has created a roomservice delivery platform that doesn’t require guests to physically engage with staff. (Read: No servers delivering food into a guest’s room late at night.

(it seems we have long heard this... I don't know that I ever actively see hotels going out of their way to attract me as a female, nor do I feel ignored or neglected in anyway either. It's interesting consultants are telling the industry to do more to attract us though.)
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I'm glad the travel industry is (finally) beginning to acknowledge this. I just attended my college class reunion (25th), and, yes, the class was 50% female, as was the norm in the 80s. The more interesting thing is that the women in the class are as successful as the men, and travel quite a bit, both for business and for personal reasons. Indeed, anecdotally, the women seemed to be traveling more than the men, since we are responsible, not only for work travel, but for the family obligations that increase at this age: visiting aging parents, helping children choose boarding schools and colleges, fundraising as our volunteer obligations increase. Heck, even "girls' weekends" away with friends are popular.

This is a market that the travel industry should be considering, analyzing, and working to attract. Women can be fiercely loyal.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:33 am

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Funny--I don't consider us "emerging"--I consider us "previously unrecognized."
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by gretchendz
Funny--I don't consider us "emerging"--I consider us "previously unrecognized."
Where's the "Like" button when you need it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.