Wiki Posts
Search

Transport from DEL to hotel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Transport from DEL to hotel

I'll be arriving DEL solo around 1pm later this month and mainly have 2 options:

1. Arrange pick-up through the hotel I will be staying at.
2. Take a legit taxi from DEL to hotel

If you have been in my shoes, which option did you pick? Would you have chosen another method?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: BA GfL
I have done both and would still do both. My India trips generally have me staying in 5-star hotels, for work. A hotel pickup is generally quite expensive, but if you can get reimbursed, it's certainly more comfortable (a nicer car, possibly an English-speaking driver).

If you want to go by taxi, use the prepaid taxi desk at the airport. This is the easiest and least stressful way to go. The fare is set ahead of time; you may still tip, but at least you don't have to haggle.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478
I have done both and would still do both. My India trips generally have me staying in 5-star hotels, for work. A hotel pickup is generally quite expensive, but if you can get reimbursed, it's certainly more comfortable (a nicer car, possibly an English-speaking driver).

If you want to go by taxi, use the prepaid taxi desk at the airport. This is the easiest and least stressful way to go. The fare is set ahead of time; you may still tip, but at least you don't have to haggle.
Thank you, that is comforting to know. ^
Old Apr 10, 2015, 2:24 pm

A nice perk of the hotel pickup is that there is someone waiting with a sign that has your name on it. After a long trip it's nice to walk straight out to a car without dealing with the taxi. I agree with travelmad478, though, if you do use a cab, prepay inside the airport. I've never been DEL, but at other airports I've been to it's been pretty easy to find the taxi kiosk.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Tipping

Thanks Carole

Another question: Is it customary to tip the hotel driver?
What would be a reasonable tip for a 19km journey from airport to hotel?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:59 pm

Tipping is pretty country-dependent, so you should probably either Google local customs or ask in the country-specific forum.

I hope you have a great trip!
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There's a lot of tipping in India in tourist / high visitor areas, but IME its less tester amounts than, say, the U.S.

Tipping multiple day car hire drivers, day car hire drivers and transfers from airport or taxis

At instances of Airport transfers you can tip between about INR 30 - 50.

If you rent a car for a day to tour the city, depending on how happy you were with his service you can tip between INR 100 – 250. Base this of if he gave you good local tips on places to eat, or monuments to visit. Did not take you tourist-trap shops.

If you take a taxi or a tuk-tuk (rickshaw) between point a to point b after deciding rate, a tip is usually not expected on these instances.

When you have a driver over multiple days, you should tip him between INR 150 – INR 300 per day. Again base this on how happy you were with his service and local knowledge. LINK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.