Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Wearing shorts and skirts in New Delhi?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wearing shorts and skirts in New Delhi?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: Riteaid wellness+ Gold, PlanetFitness Preferred Black, Hyatt Cubic Zirconia, Hallmark Crown Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
In late April, early May? It's so very hot and dry in these parts for mosquitoes to be much of a nuisance. Mosquitoes don't do well in hot, sandy/dusty and smoggy times when humidity is very low.
somehow they always find me
Old Mar 15, 2015, 4:36 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by IIIIIIIIIIllllllllll
somehow they always find me
When and where in the Golden Triangle tour area in late April and early May have they always found you? Most of Rajasthan, Delhi and the Agra-Fatehpur Sikri area are so hot and dry at that time that the only mosquitoes that even dare come out do so around the dawn or dusk period and tend to be the ones that prefer plant vegetation to animals. The blood-suckers are a problem at other times of the year, but for as long as I've had residence in this area and been there at that time of year, it's been the only time of the year where I've been able to not worry about being bitten like crazy by mosquitoes.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by hightide
I'll be doing the Golden Triangle starting from New Delhi in late April-early May.

I prefer wearing bermuda shorts and mid to knee length skirts as it will be hot then. Would I be getting lots of unwanted attention wearing shorts/skirts as a 30 year old average build Asian woman?
Consider going to a shop or tailor and getting a salwar kameez once you arrive in India. It's slim trousers with a loose tunic over, and the most common outfit for women in India, especially the north. It's also extremely comfortable.

You will attract unwanted attention in bermuda shorts and skirts above the knee. It might not be propositions, but you will be perceived negatively. I have a number of Indian friends and after a party - a 4yr old's birthday - one tactfully told me (the only caucasian women there) that my mid calf skirts and short sleeved blouse made some of the more conservative guests "uncomfortable". After that I made sure to wear slacks and a top with sleeves at least to the elbow to social events with that group and it did make a difference in how friendly some of the friends-of-my-friends were.

If you respect local mores you have a better chance of connecting with people that you might want to connect with - the guides, hotel staff, shop keepers, and the "nice" people you encounter along the way.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Consider going to a shop or tailor and getting a salwar kameez once you arrive in India. It's slim trousers with a loose tunic over, and the most common outfit for women in India, especially the north. It's also extremely comfortable.

You will attract unwanted attention in bermuda shorts and skirts above the knee. It might not be propositions, but you will be perceived negatively. I have a number of Indian friends and after a party - a 4yr old's birthday - one tactfully told me (the only caucasian women there) that my mid calf skirts and short sleeved blouse made some of the more conservative guests "uncomfortable". After that I made sure to wear slacks and a top with sleeves at least to the elbow to social events with that group and it did make a difference in how friendly some of the friends-of-my-friends were.

If you respect local mores you have a better chance of connecting with people that you might want to connect with - the guides, hotel staff, shop keepers, and the "nice" people you encounter along the way.
Thank you for the helpful suggestions
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott
I wore capris thinking that would be the best. I don't think I had any unusual looks for that. However, the mosquitoes quickly found their way to my exposed shins and ankles. I did wear knee length shorts one day. In hindsight, I should have worn jeans.

It's going to be hot - shorts of no shorts.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 1:45 am

I had my rear grabbed in the Delhi metro though I was wearing a gypsy (ankle length) skirt and carrying my 1 year old. I'd still advise you to dress comfortably and conservative but its a mindset unfortunately.

Last edited by Firstclasser; Jun 14, 2015 at 7:43 am Reason: Spelling mistake?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.