http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ7_rrK1HDw
Aussie's finest ...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TGIsEJbY4c
Old Oct 28, 2014, 5:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by westcoastgal
This is true. I find I get hit on most when I'm alone with my daughter. I travel alone with her a lot or with a widowed gf and her young son. I asked one guy in Cancun in May why he chose to talk to me at dinner and he said that in his experience, "single moms are vulnerable and easy to get." Hmmm, I wasn't a single mom, just traveling alone and wear a big rock. Some men find rings a challenge though.
And some women find rings a challenge too. There are whole websites which have made their business in the infidelity business and the investor presentations of these companies have been rather revealing.

Vulnerable or not, a challenge or not, a woman on vacation alone with children being perceived as single/divorced/separated and/or as being otherwise open for additional future relationship(s)? It's not that rare. Men on vacation alone with children get the same thing? Sometimes.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 6:22 am

I love it!! Resting .....y Face is something quite a few women have and don't even know it, at least you are aware.

I on the other hand, have the habit of being too smiley and friendly and some men seem to think that a smile means "come shag me right now, I want it bad". It's quite pathetic and scary. As a result, I'm practicing my RBF in the mirror.
Please be aware that there are side effects of RBF (or BRF) and that they provide the opportunity for conversational opening nuggets that may include:

"Aw, don't look so mad."
"Why are you so sad?"
"Smile a little bit!"
"Hey, it can't be that bad!"

(I am. You. No. It is. Now go away.)

(Pity, no BRF emoticon)
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by QtownDave
Honestly never understood how women view the world, but from my vantage point I will start being annoyed when I'm no longer hit on.
While likely unintended, this is a prime example of a privileged mindset.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by pinkcat
I dont mind being approached, no issues with having a coffee etc in a public place and a bit of a chat, goodness knows I chat to plenty of strangers outside hotels when I go out for a smoke.

If I dont want company I just say so, travelling alone sometimes its nice just to chat, if I was invited up to his room, I would just say " no thanks, dont want to go anywhere alone with you"

I dont think all men are creeps and rapists, they must be bored with hotels as much as women are. I do wear a wedding ring because I am widowed but I am not sure men think to check before speaking!
You will mind much more once you have a bad experience being a solo female traveler who, by virtue of being alone and being a girl, becomes deemed deserving of anything a male may wish to force upon you. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean this is a safe mindset.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:49 pm

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan, WJ, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold, Fairmont PC, IHG, Marriott, Airmiles, Aventura,Avion
Originally Posted by rsqrott
Please be aware that there are side effects of RBF (or BRF) and that they provide the opportunity for conversational opening nuggets that may include:

"Aw, don't look so mad."
"Why are you so sad?"
"Smile a little bit!"
"Hey, it can't be that bad!"

(I am. You. No. It is. Now go away.)

(Pity, no BRF emoticon)
Lol! I just had this happen!

I actually just got back yesterday from 6 days away. In the Fairmont Gold Lounge of where I was staying, I was approached by one older gentleman (my father's age) who seemed quite friendly and innocent at first. Since I was alone, I had a couple of drinks with him and chatted. I figured he was harmless and safe. He asked me "why do you look so sad? smile with me, you don't want to get frown lines and have to get botox." It made me laugh but I should've stuck to BRF.
After a little while, he tells me that he and his wife have an open marriage and that it must be hard for me to be travelling alone and that I should come to his room. He even makes a poor joke that he works for "Wood Gundy" and has a "woody" and older men are very good at pleasing women and that what happens when away, stays away and just forget about it after!
It felt almost surreal and I laughed and said I was tired and good night. I almost ran back to my room.
I ran into him the next night and he told me he'd been drunk and woke up wondering if he'd offended me and was sorry if he had. I know I've said dumb things intoxicated before so told him everything was fine so forget about it. He invites me for a drink in the lounge and stupid me, accepts thinking I was too hard on him the night before. In the lounge, we are chatting fine for a bit and then he starts the sexual innuendos and asking me to come to his room again. I declined and went to meet a friend for dinner outside the hotel and didn't see the man who hit on my again during my stay as I avoided the lounge after that.
I don't know if I give off a vibe that makes men think that it's ok to proposition me or if it's just their lonliness or alcohol talking. I do dress conservatively, wear a ring and tell people that I'm married.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: nada these days
Westcoastgal -- WTH!!! That is just bizarre. And incredibly awkward, especially running into him the next day. I've had similar experiences and was equally skeeved out. It's NOT your fault and you're NOT putting out a "vibe" -- men like this are entitled predators who target women traveling alone because they perceive them to be vulnerable, wedding ring or no. Sounds like he was using alcohol as an excuse. That only works once. If the behavior is repeated or habitual, he knows exactly what he's doing and doesn't think it's wrong. The apology the next morning was probably part of his game plan, and it worked. (That's not your fault -- you should not feel bad for wanting to believe the best about people. It's his for being a creep.)

Sorry, boys, but you really, truly can't know what it's like. Male privilege exists whether or not you choose to acknowledge it, and women (especially those who navigate the world solo) need to be on their guard, unfortunately.

I, too, "suffer" from RBF/BRF. The next man (and it's ALWAYS a man) who orders me to "smile!" will need surgery to remove his teeth from his esophagus. You might think telling someone to smile is harmless, but have you ever seen it happen to a man? Didn't think so!

Last edited by erdehoff; Nov 6, 2014 at 7:02 am
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:04 am

Programs: nada these days
This somewhat NSFW "Daily Show" segment about campus safety for men and women seems pertinent here (unfortunately, I think you need to be in the U.S. to view it at this link): http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/z2...in-our-schools

"You in danger, girl!!!"
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:31 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by erdehoff
The next man (and it's ALWAYS a man) who orders me to "smile!" will need surgery to remove his teeth from his esophagus. You might think telling someone to smile is harmless, but have you ever seen it happen to a man? Didn't think so!
I am male and I have had people (usually old ladies) tell me to smile.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:44 am
Suspended

I actually just got back yesterday from 6 days away. In the Fairmont Gold Lounge of where I was staying, I was approached by one older gentleman (my father's age) who seemed quite friendly and innocent at first. Since I was alone, I had a couple of drinks with him and chatted. I figured he was harmless and safe. He asked me "why do you look so sad? smile with me, you don't want to get frown lines and have to get botox." It made me laugh but I should've stuck to BRF.
After a little while, he tells me that he and his wife have an open marriage and that it must be hard for me to be travelling alone and that I should come to his room. He even makes a poor joke that he works for "Wood Gundy" and has a "woody" and older men are very good at pleasing women and that what happens when away, stays away and just forget about it after!
It felt almost surreal and I laughed and said I was tired and good night. I almost ran back to my room.
I ran into him the next night and he told me he'd been drunk and woke up wondering if he'd offended me and was sorry if he had. I know I've said dumb things intoxicated before so told him everything was fine so forget about it. He invites me for a drink in the lounge and stupid me, accepts thinking I was too hard on him the night before. In the lounge, we are chatting fine for a bit and then he starts the sexual innuendos and asking me to come to his room again. I declined and went to meet a friend for dinner outside the hotel and didn't see the man who hit on my again during my stay as I avoided the lounge after that.
I don't know if I give off a vibe that makes men think that it's ok to proposition me or if it's just their lonliness or alcohol talking. I do dress conservatively, wear a ring and tell people that I'm married.

Surely there's no harm in a fellow trying it on with a pretty lady at least once ? Although not recognising the vibes and trying the same routine a second time isn't too classy.

I appreciate it must be annoying for some women to be hit upon but there must also be others who rather welcome it.

A simple " thanks but no thanks " should put the matter straight to bed,so to speak.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:34 am

What happened to you was not the usual BRF/RBF side effect. You met a genuine creep. Do not cut this species any slack. Regardless of age or apparent harmlessness.

No, I'm talking about the opening gambit which is "smile" or "it's not so bad", etc. To me it's a few steps above a guy making sucking noises at me as I walk past them on the street but it's still going to get them the same end result...which is nowhere.

FWIW I would never, even consider telling a total stranger to cheer up, smile, etc. Seriously? Maybe the guys that do this think that it makes them seem caring? Like good listeners.

I do remember one time a friend and I were having a serious conversation in a café about the recent death of a family member and some charmer approached us with, "and what are you two lovely ladies talking about?"
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
What happened to you was not the usual BRF/RBF side effect. You met a genuine creep. Do not cut this species any slack. Regardless of age or apparent harmlessness.

No, I'm talking about the opening gambit which is "smile" or "it's not so bad", etc. To me it's a few steps above a guy making sucking noises at me as I walk past them on the street but it's still going to get them the same end result...which is nowhere.

FWIW I would never, even consider telling a total stranger to cheer up, smile, etc. Seriously? Maybe the guys that do this think that it makes them seem caring? Like good listeners.

I do remember one time a friend and I were having a serious conversation in a café about the recent death of a family member and some charmer approached us with, "and what are you two lovely ladies talking about?"
So, let's say that a relatively normal man wants to hit on someone? Is that allowed by you and if so, how should he go about it? Or should men just resign themselves to arranged marriages? After all, I met my wife and just about every girlfriend I ever had by "chatting them up" at a party or event or whatever and they didn't seem to think it was creepy. Admittedly this guy was a creep for suggesting instant sex but up until that point would it have been any different from a normal social interaction? BTW, I have also been "hit on" by women while obviously wearing a ring but while I can politely decline I don't judge the women so harshly for doing it.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by NYTA
So, let's say that a relatively normal man wants to hit on someone? Is that allowed by you and if so, how should he go about it?
Interesting question. I don't know if you're asking me personally or the "you" at large but since you quoted my post I'll respond.

After all, I met my wife and just about every girlfriend I ever had by "chatting them up" at a party or event or whatever and they didn't seem to think it was creepy.
"Chatting someone up" isn't creepy. Nothing creepy about starting a conversation, but to me it's the way that it's initiated. For me, personally, if you try to start a conversation by telling me to do something you're going to get shut down. FWIW, telling me to "smile" isn't creepy either, just aggravating in the way that the guy trying to swan in on a personal conversation was aggravating...mind your business. (and BTW- this is in no way referring to work...I can just imagine me telling my boss to mind their business after they've told me to do something )

But again, that's me, RBF and all . Those moves might work fabulously with someone other than me.

Admittedly this guy was a creep for suggesting instant sex but up until that point would it have been any different from a normal social interaction?
It would not have been, which is what westcoastgal was saying (I think) and why she likely laughed it off. And even the suggestion wasn't creepy per se...but trying the same stunt the next evening because westcoastgal gave the guy the benefit of the doubt? Cr-eep.
If you're referring to the OP...well that guy just sounds sad and the OP totally rocks .
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:08 am

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan, WJ, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold, Fairmont PC, IHG, Marriott, Airmiles, Aventura,Avion
Interesting question. I don't know if you're asking me personally or the "you" at large but since you quoted my post I'll respond.

"Chatting someone up" isn't creepy. Nothing creepy about starting a conversation, but to me it's the way that it's initiated. For me, personally, if you try to start a conversation by telling me to do something you're going to get shut down. FWIW, telling me to "smile" isn't creepy either, just aggravating in the way that the guy trying to swan in on a personal conversation was aggravating...mind your business. (and BTW- this is in no way referring to work...I can just imagine me telling my boss to mind their business after they've told me to do something )

I agree, I don't mind being chatted up sometimes and reaffirmation that I'm attractive and desirable isn't a bad thing at all. What was creepy was the fact that the man was married, knew that I was and thought that cheating was some great feat or joke, was overtly sexual and not just flirtatious, used alcohol as an excuse for his poor behaviour and proceeded to repeat the behaviour following an obviously insecure apology.

But again, that's me, RBF and all . Those moves might work fabulously with someone other than me.

It would not have been, which is what westcoastgal was saying (I think) and why she likely laughed it off. And even the suggestion wasn't creepy per se...but trying the same stunt the next evening because westcoastgal gave the guy the benefit of the doubt? Cr-eep.

Yes, completely.

If you're referring to the OP...well that guy just sounds sad and the OP totally rocks .
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given divorce tales from men ditched by a frequently traveling wife, it's clear that being married and on the move is not a general show-stopper for married women in the way some may have thought it to be in prior decades.

Some people even have a rule that says that if a guy's wife likes to travel a lot without her hubby and kids and frequently posts on Facebook or the like about her trips alone while almost never posting a picture of her with her hubby, then she may be more likely to see the field tilled and be seeking an "upgrade" up in the air or down on the ground or both.

This gossip-worthy game has become a running game in some offices in some parts.
None of this makes sense. What do you mean by "general show stopper"? "Some people have a rule?" "A running game in some parts?"

I have traveled on my own for most of the 24 years I've been with my husband. There are no rules, or games, or show stoppers. We do our work and live our lives, mostly free of predators and gossips. I have lots of conversations with random strangers because I am interested in people's stories, and almost none of them have turned icky.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.