Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

this has to be a woman thing:)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

this has to be a woman thing:)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Question this has to be a woman thing:)

whether I am going away for 1 day or 5 days my luggage is just as heavy...lol...I still need my skin stuff, makeup,etc, the clothes are the only thing that varies...
just wondering if anyone else experiences this
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by nlkm9
whether I am going away for 1 day or 5 days my luggage is just as heavy...lol...I still need my skin stuff, makeup,etc, the clothes are the only thing that varies...
just wondering if anyone else experiences this
No, I still fly with checked luggage, but for short ground trips all the FT nagging has gotten me to pare things down to a carry-on sized tote for a 48 hour trip. I'm not much for goopy things in bottles when traveling, and for at least a decade the only time I've used a blow dryer is to get the ice off my front steps, so for me reducing the weight of the bag is about packing fewer clothes.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
My husband packs more than I do, every trip, no matter the length and no matter how I try to encourage him to pack less. And his business trips are not 3-piece suit affairs, either

I am not a minimalist but I've learned to do more with less over time because I don't want to be hauling heavy bags all over the place. I don't tend to use a ton of "products" at home either, so that probably helps^
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:02 am

Programs: BA GfL
When I go away for 5 days or 5 weeks my luggage is the exact same size, a 20-inch rollaboard. That is, if I'm flying. If I'm driving, I usually take a lot more clothes!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The company that makes my skin care products makes travel size bottles - the amounts in those can last me weeks. Has greatly reduced how much space/weight is in my luggage/carry on.

Now, as a bigger girl and one prone to spilling food down the front of me, I still take too much clothes (and the clothes I do have take up more space than a skinnier person's), but I'm trying to pare that down too - both by losing weight and reducing how much I take.

Unfortunately, I'm still a card carrying member of overpackers not so anonymous.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by wrp96
d one prone to spilling food down the front of me, I still take too much clothes
YES! Me too. I try to be neat but fail spectacularly all the time Some people might say my black wardrobe is boring, but it hides a lot more sins than white does!

(and while I might bring a white shirt with me, I absolutely won't fly in one!)
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there are also men who travel with specific skin/bath products, sometimes expensive/organic/etc

(not me, i only spend on hotels)
Old Sep 3, 2014, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I have gotten much better with help from ft, I actually have a spare set of prepacked items(makeup, brush,toothbrush, workout stuff) so the only thing that I have to throw in is my clothes ... It's the only variable. I even have a travel Cpap.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 10:22 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
My issue is weight not size of bag. Everything I need, I can fit into a smaller than MLC bag as long as the weather and activities are similar throughout the trip.

I'm basically allergies on legs so I bring all my toiletries plus allergy meds and allergy calming potions . Everything is the smallest size possible for that trip and is usually in a 1 - 2 oz bottle. The problem is that I have a lot of little bottles. My toiletries kit is still smaller than many people but I have maybe 20+ things in there. I wear little to no makeup (due to allergies again). I have lip & cheek stain, lip balm, mascara if I feel like it and maybe concealer and a compact.

One of my essentials (again due to allergies) is a kettle and tea. I find that the hot beverage helps me clear my throat and sinuses to start and end the day.

My travel clothing tends to be heavy as much of it is wrinkle resistant jersey.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I've gotten down to packing half the clothes I need and doing laundry I also don't bring all my skin creams. I purchase similar small sizes and use them instead.

My problem is all the computer/iphone accessories I have to bring along. My husband and I can fill a case with laptops and various i-stuff, and their cords.

One thing I never leave home without though is my extension cord, which has become the most valuable thing I pack
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I bring a lot of sample sizes of the cleansers, face creams, and other beauty products I use. That cuts down on bulk and weight quite a bit. I bring two Trish McEvoy planners (medium sized). All of my make-up and brushes are in there, as well as a small, solid version of my perfume (Fracas). I bring one hairbrush and plan on having professional blow-outs while I travel. I do bring a small dry shampoo along.

I pack a wardrobe where I can make several different outfits from the same basic pieces and accessorize with scarves and jewelry. I wash out unmentionables in the hotel sink.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I can do from 1-7 days in a rollaboard, but it gets heavier the more days I am traveling. I have a soft sided rollaboard (the Tumi Super Leger) and on my last two night trip the bag was rather floppy as it wasn't full. Given that I have to fit all my liquids into a ziploc bag to carry-on I can't go overboard with soaps/creams etc. Not sure it's a "woman thing" however as my wife packs even lighter than I do - mostly because all of her clothes are smaller and lighter than mine - the only heavy thing she carries is her 1875 watt hair dryer.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:40 am
formerly ltabi

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Explorist
I have done 2 week international trips with just a carry on roller. I am pretty simple when it comes to skin care and makeup, I only bring my cleanser, toner, sunscreen and bb cream (all in travel size) and of course the usual toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste and etc.)

As for clothes, I usually bring several tops and a pair of jeans and leggings (shorts in the summer) and I have never had a problem.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with issues! For me it's electronics not including a laptop and toiletries including allergy and cold meds. I've managed 4 day trips with roller bag but anything longer is holiday travel with much more activity, clothes, camera, specialty gear and requires a checked bag although my last trip I purposely took only a 25 inch bag to limit myself.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: QFF, HH
Oh yes I agree! I'm a pretty frugal packer and like some can do RTW with carryon for 2-3 weeks (washing when I need to) ... BUT, this year I've had to so many interstate trips in my wheelchair so I thought I'd pared down the basics into my backpack, which always seems to weight the same no matter what I put in it (and yes, laptops and cords don't help!) ... so this last trip I weighed it at the airport - it's only 1kg (2+ pounds) lighter than my normal carryon wheelie suitcase - grrr!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.