40th Birthday Solo Trip

Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Paris. I know its cold that time of year, but the easy walking, tons of museums and shopping, (which IMO are more enjoyable when you're alone and on your own schedule), and great food make it a no-brainer solo trip for me.
I second the vote for Paris and throw in a suggestion for London.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I did Istanbul for my 40th and loved it. I was just back there again a couple of weeks ago. It was a lot of fun to wander and shop - just be prepared for VERY aggressive folks trying to sell you things, overcharge you on taxis, etc.

I've done most major destinations in Asia solo (Bali, Hong Kong, Singapore, Bangkok, Tokyo, Cambodia, Vietnam, Malaysia) and find that Asia is a great place for solo females.

I'd also vote for Australia or Europe (Paris, London, Madrid, Barcelona are all easily done solo).
Old Jun 14, 2014, 6:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by zoyabean
I turn 40 later this year and want to take a pleasure trip on my own for the first time in years. (I've travelled a fair bit alone for work but that just isn't the same thing as there was always a purpose.)

I'm sitting on 300K+ Alaska miles so I can go pretty much anywhere but all that choice is making it hard to pick. I can't even decide between beach or city or something else... I do know I can only get away for 5-7 days so anything that is over 24 hours in travel from YYJ probably isn't worth it although I am open to any suggestions. I would also like to go in the middle of November but again, if there was a particular event worth seeing I could possibly go in September or October.

If you could go anywhere to get away by yourself where would you go?
Buenos Aires. Weather is just about perfect for me at that time, it's polo season, and it's an enjoyable place for dining and entertainment. And it's sort of like the "Paris of South America".
Old Jun 14, 2014, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Hong Kong? City AND Beaches.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:00 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Venice is a wonderful city for a solo trip. Friendly people, great food and hospitality. I have been to VCE a few times on my own and many many more times with my husband. Love the city and recommend it unconditionally.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:37 am

Programs: LH SEN-2013, PC Platinum, HH Silver, MR
South Africa

A trip to South Africa would also be exciting in November. Casablanca comes to my mind, Durban, Port Elizabeth, East London ...
All perfect combinations of city + beach!! And lots of opportunities for safari tours, too.
November would be perfect = summer in South Africa!
Old Jun 24, 2014, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Buenos Aires. Weather is just about perfect for me at that time, it's polo season, and it's an enjoyable place for dining and entertainment. And it's sort of like the "Paris of South America".

I'm actually seriously considering doing this as a solo trip myself during Thanksgiving or near Christmas this year. Looks lovely.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by QMConsultant
A trip to South Africa would also be exciting in November. Casablanca comes to my mind, Durban, Port Elizabeth, East London ...
All perfect combinations of city + beach!! And lots of opportunities for safari tours, too.
November would be perfect = summer in South Africa!
^ +1

I'm going in late September 8 night safari and 5 nights in Cape Town . Safaris are great for single people as there's plenty to do during the day and in the evening everyone eats together.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:46 pm

I have done Madrid in November, Zurich & Lugano in February and Santiago/Vina del Mar in January, all by myself, and all after I turned 40. They were all very safe and I found plenty to do.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: Turkish Airlines Miles and Smiles
Originally Posted by Daichovo
I traveled to Turkey alone, loved it! 7 days is perfect for a taste-
3 days in Istanbul

2 days in Cappadocia

2 days somewhere else- Izmir is popular. I went to Denizli which is the airport closest to Pamukkale/Hieropolis and Aphrodisias (FAR more amazing sites than Ephesus in my opinion). Hot springs, crazy geological structures, mud baths, historical sites!

I went the end of Dec-beginning of Jan. Was supposed to be in Istanbul at a DJ Shantel show and another friends' gig for NYE, but instead hung out with 2 Korean girls on the far side of Denizli, in a 5 star hotel, thanks Turkish Airlines!

Speaking of- I got insane deals by booking in-country flights on Turkish- go to their website and use the international site, not US. The flights will price in TL and be a lot lower. I paid 39-69 TL/flight. I flew since I only had a week and didn't want to waste time on 9 hr bus rides.

Istanbul in particular is really incredible for tourists- most of the major sites are in Sultanahmet, along with many of the hostels/hotels. There's a thing called MUZE pass which gets you into the major sites- 72 hours for 72TL, you can really save a lot of money. There is free internet in that part of town, so if you get lost, pull out your iPod touch/phone and see where you are! Tons of tourists, friendly folk, I felt incredibly safe the whole time I was in Turkey. I learned a smattering of Turkish, but many people know some English (especially in Istanbul).

Caveat emptor- I LOVE Turkish music (listening to it and playing it) so for me that was a big hook. But Istanbul is an incredible city on all levels, and there are so many historical things around the country there are plenty of things to
do/see.
+2 Istanbul and Cappadocia is life time experience ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.