Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Suit jacket or blazer with interior pocket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:44 am
Original Poster

I have recently started travelling for business and I want to keep my wallet & passport with me at all times while on the plane. Since I travel solo I'm not about to ask the random stranger next to me to watch my purse . I prefer to travel more "business" than casual when I travel for work and a jacket or blazer with an interior pocket would be ideal for me to keep my small profile travel wallet and passport close at all times.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that includes an interior pocket in their women's suit jackets? I'm at the point now where I'm seriously considering purchasing some men's suit jackets and having them tailored.

I do have some stick on pockets that I have used but I find them too small for my needs. Enough for my license and a bit of cash maybe.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I've not seen suit blazers for women with inside pockets- just casual "travel" jackets & vests eg ScottVest. Personally, I'd just go with a neck wallet worn under whatever top I'm wearing on a plane. When I'm on a flight for a trip necessitating my passport, I am NOT wearing a blazer the entire time. Just me?
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
When I'm on a flight for a trip necessitating my passport, I am NOT wearing a blazer the entire time. Just me?
Actually the whole "wearing a blazer the entire time" on a long haul flight might be just me . I like having the pockets for my whatevers and my carry on stowed away,

The neck wallet idea is interesting and something that I hadn't considered. I just don't like them. Personal preference. It might have to be an option if this whole interior pocket thing turns into a fruitless hunt.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:23 am

I checked Travelsmith & Magellans websites and there were casual options but nothing suit-like.....
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
When I travel alone, I take my purse with me when I leave my seat.

If I'm carrying a large purse, I always have the important items in a smaller one inside the larger one, but that's not too often.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

I checked Travelsmith & Magellans websites and there were casual options but nothing suit-like.....
I really appreciate your checking. Thanks so much!

Originally Posted by Mary2e
When I travel alone, I take my purse with me when I leave my seat.
If I'm carrying a large purse, I always have the important items in a smaller one inside the larger one, but that's not too often.
This is something that my better half suggested for my last trip...to pack my larger, briefcase like purse for the office and travel with a smaller crossbody type purse. I did end up taking his suggestion and it worked out fabulously for sight seeing. When flying I like having my hands free and no purse to run the risk of misplacing (or getting stolen). Plus if I fall asleep I have my vital stuff right on my person. Again, my (likely eccentric) preference.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:58 pm

Why not take one of your current blazers to the tailor and ask them to add an inner pocket? I'd try this with a less loved item for the first round or two. You can also try out a vertical or horizontal pocket placement. Depending on how fitted your blazers are and how heavy you intend to load that pocket, it might look better to add the pocket lower on the body than a traditional men's inside chest pocket placement. You could also add pockets on both sides to help balance them out when you carrier heavier items (smartphone, etc) or it might hang a bit crooked.

How to tutorials
http://applefanatic.org/ipod/sewing-...et-t43196.html
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...233419026.html
http://www.craftsy.com/article/sewing-welt-pockets
http://www.fashionsewingblog.com/sew...-welt-pockets/
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:33 pm

I have a very old (1992?) Eagle Creek neck wallet - it's black nylon, not the nude thin neck wallets - and it always goes with me. I don't always use it during sightseeing, but that's what stays on my body in airports & flights -smaller than a purse (though I do like crossbody purses for travel as well) I don't worry about hiding it under clothing, and the strap is actually long enough I can wear it cross body and not just around my neck.

I like the idea of adding a larger pocket to a woman's blazer - depending on your shape, probably easier (and therefore cheaper) to alter than making a man's blazer look right.....
Old Sep 11, 2013, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by rsqrott
Does anyone know of a manufacturer that includes an interior pocket in their women's suit jackets? I'm at the point now where I'm seriously considering purchasing some men's suit jackets and having them tailored.

I do have some stick on pockets that I have used but I find them too small for my needs. Enough for my license and a bit of cash maybe.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I asked about blazer pockets once in a shop that did fine tailoring for men but also had a small department of ladies' wear.

The tailor looked quite offended, and informed me they would not do such a thing because "it would not be flattering to a lady's figure" which rather does make sense, when you think about the curves versus straight edged objects that likely would be put in such a pocket.

Now, if you travel with a casual jacket, my GoreTex style jackets from both LL Bean and Land's End have interior zip pockets.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by freecia
, it might look better to add the pocket lower on the body than a traditional men's inside chest pocket placement. You could also add pockets on both sides to help balance them out when you carrier heavier items (smartphone, etc) or it might hang a bit crooked.
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
The tailor looked quite offended, and informed me they would not do such a thing because "it would not be flattering to a lady's figure" which rather does make sense, when you think about the curves versus straight edged objects that likely would be put in such a pocket.
It might not be ideal, but you should still be able to get what you want in a service economy

Magellans "utility" jacket is on sale. Lots of pockets but super casual, considering the arms zip off: http://www.magellans.com/adventure-t...utility-jacket
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:46 am

It might not be ideal, but you should still be able to get what you want in a service economy
"Service economy?"

Silicon Valley before the slump: the only way we even got in this shop was because my father had been going there for 40 years. They had more business than they could handle - every dot com millionaire in town wanted to shop there.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia
Why not take one of your current blazers to the tailor and ask them to add an inner pocket? I'd try this with a less loved item for the first round or two. You can also try out a vertical or horizontal pocket placement. Depending on how fitted your blazers are and how heavy you intend to load that pocket, it might look better to add the pocket lower on the body than a traditional men's inside chest pocket placement.]
Your comments on pocket placement are very sensible and, again, something that hadn't occurred to me. I was thinking more along the lines of a one style fits all Blazer and I know full well that that "all" never includes me.

I have a very old (1992?) Eagle Creek neck wallet - it's black nylon, not the nude thin neck wallets - and it always goes with me. I don't always use it during sightseeing, but that's what stays on my body in airports & flights -smaller than a purse (though I do like crossbody purses for travel as well) I don't worry about hiding it under clothing, and the strap is actually long enough I can wear it cross body and not just around my neck.
This suggestion and Mary2e's suggestion about packing an extra purse are such great ones. I can't believe that I needed my (non purse carrying) husband to suggest the extra purse option to me.

I'm starting to realize that a big part of my travel mindset is related to my primarily having travelled by motorcycle for so many years. I never brought one purse let alone two. And I certainly never used the bike for business travel! I may have to pry open my narrow mind a bit.

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I asked about blazer pockets once in a shop that did fine tailoring for men but also had a small department of ladies' wear.

Also since lady's suits would be cut differently. Usually more form fitting (though some parts of my form fit better than others). But it still baffles me as to why they'd not offer interior pockets in a man tailored lady's suit?

Actually I have a plan. I have seen some fabulous men's blazers. Seriously gorgeous stuff. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a likely suspect at a reasonable (OK dirt cheap) price and see what I can do with it.

But I continue to appreciate the advice and suggestions.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:08 pm

In the past (like 14 years ago) I had shopped Travelsmith for blazers. I still have a collared and a no collar versions that are fully lined. Alas, the matching pants no longer are serviceable.--- A breast pocket, 2 side welted pockets, 4 pockets in the lining --2 per side. The collared blazer's inner pockets were all zippered. The other jacket's top pockets had zippers.

I have admired Chinese tailored jackets with a vertical zippered inner pocket placed about breast level at the seam between the lining and facing.

I would think about what sized items and their "bulkiness" that I might want in the pockets.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I've been away and just found this thread. I have a couple of the Magellan's and TravelSmith women's blazers from about 10 years ago that came with 3 inside pockets (2 with zippers) and a Tilley Endurables blazer of about the same age with inside pockets.

These items are not in the current catalogs and I do wonder why. There are some blazers/jackets that are similar but you really have to read the fine print to sort them out.

I have taken a regular blazer/jacket and had security pockets installed by a tailor who has a shop near a military base and is very experienced in working with heavier fabrics. I was happy with the result.

I also carry a small purse when traveling that can easily fit into my carry on bag. I never leave my purse at my seat when going to a toilet on an airplane.

Magellans and TravelSmith both sell travel vests some of which can be worn under a blazer/jacket.

Last edited by oldpenny16; Sep 29, 2013 at 10:01 am
Old Sep 30, 2013, 9:01 am
Original Poster

I want to thank everyone who took the time to reply and offer suggestions. I am now considering the small, crossbody type bag work under a jacket as an option while flying. Oldpenny, your blazers sound perfect.

I confess that I did use my quest as an opportunity to indulge myself and buy a Ted Baker men's suit jacket. I love the lines, fabrics and linings that Ted Baker uses. I found an ideal one on e-bay and am waiting for it to arrive. It will first go to the cleaners, then to the tailor to be fitted. If this works it will be ideal for those occasional flights that go from airport directly to office.

It helps that I only need interior pocket space for my passport and slim travel wallet. We'll see how this all works out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.