3 pants, 1 dress- number of tops?

Subscribe
Planning my packing for a week long trip to Paris next week. We're renting an apt and will have a washer. I'm planning to bring 3 pairs of pants (I thought about two - and still might - but right now I'm thinking wear on plane, pack two) We're checking one bag anyway because of some liquids and other non-carry-on items we need to bring so space isn't the biggest concern. I tend to split my days in 2 - which helps if it's wet outside - we'll stop back in the apartment after the morning activities and change clothes before late afternoon or evening activities....

That said - I really don't want to be lugging 75lbs up 4 flights of stairs (no elevator) So what is the ideal number of tops to bring, assuming any top choice will go with any of the pairs of neutral pants. I will bring one cream cashmere sweater and one black cashmere sweater.

(I'm also thinking I might bring a purple merino dress I have that I adore....)
For a trip like that, I'd bring layering separates.

2 short sleeve Ts, 2 long sleeve, a button down (or 2), couple of cardigan sweaters, light jacket or heavy sweater, raincoat. 2 pairs of pants, 1-2 skirts, spare pair of shoes. Umbrella and a couple of bright warm scarves.
I take (# of pants)+2 tops for week long stays where I can launder. Tops don't take up much space and I like to have a little flexibility. If I expect predominately warm weather most tops will be short sleeved. I'd take one nice long sleeved top and one casual long sleeved top. If I'm expecting cooler whether I'll only have one short sleeved top.
Think twin sets, if they are not too conservative for you. Two twin sets in coordinating colors, and mix and match. Another favorite top of mine is the cashmere turtleneck (fine rib). Also, consider a tank top or two -- to wear as an underpinning if temperatures drop, or as a top under a cardigan if it is warmer.
I usually take 1 x pants (which may include jeans)
1 x skirt
1 x either pants or skirt depending on what my activities are.
So that's a total of 3 bottoms. I would wear the pants on my travel day as well.

At least 1 top for each day (up to a week) plus something to dress it up with.

The rest is a midweight layer, and in cooler months a jacket/coat of some sort.

While the apartment has a washer, sometimes you aren't able to use it when you'd like to, such as after a late night out at the theatre because the noise of the machine running will disturb the neighbours, so having a machine might not be as useful as you may think it would be.
Quote: At least 1 top for each day (up to a week) plus something to dress it up with.

While the apartment has a washer, sometimes you aren't able to use it when you'd like to, such as after a late night out at the theatre because the noise of the machine running will disturb the neighbours, so having a machine might not be as useful as you may think it would be.
^ I'd pick tops that can combine with the other tops if you need to layer. And if you have a silk thermal top, definitely take that too.

It's gonna be chilly in Paris next week.

Also, some of those apt sized washers ...especially if its that washer/dryer combo situation ... can fit just a couple items of clothing at a time.
This was an old post and my trip to Paris was Nov 15-23, 2013^ It was not as cold as we packed for so I didn't wear the cashmere sweater or merino wool dress as often as I had planned for. Did ok on tops - probably could have done with 2 less tops and 1 less bottom and done great. And I probably didn't need to bring the dress- I wore it for dinner one night but I didn't need to and could have easily made do with a pant/sweater combo.

But the Keen boots did a great job^ And we did laundry 2 times, could easily have done more often had we needed to.
Quote: This was an old post and my trip to Paris was Nov 15-23, 2013
Awesome time traveling! How was the future?

:-)
Quote: Awesome time traveling! How was the future?

:-)
The flux capacitor on the Delorean is working great these days, thanks for asking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcCar9iTHPY

Oops. Yes, our trip was in 2012, 4 weeks ago.