Any Travel Tips for Women?

Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Any Travel Tips for Women?

If you are traveling alone (first time in the place) and a man comes up and asks if it is your first time in that place, say, "NO" and tell him that you've visited the place several time then walk away

Share your tips to all women travelling out thare!!!!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by travellerGo
If you are traveling alone (first time in the place) and a man comes up and asks if it is your first time in that place, say, "NO" and tell him that you've visited the place several time then walk away

Share your tips to all women travelling out thare!!!!
So when you're standing there at the map kiosk/signboard/info desk and trying to figure out where you are and where to go next, you're supposed to assume that any man who approaches you is an evil pervert and that you'll look credible just walking off?

I've been traveling on my own for many years and found that some of the men who approach me are genuinely nice people offering to help. I find it better to assess the individual and the situation rather than operate under one-size-fits-all rules.

Be alert, be cautious and be prepared are my rules.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 2:00 pm

I have been lucky in my travels and only once (in Chicago) did I encounter a serious situation. This guy was giving me a hard time, we were alone on a dark street, instead of being frightened I got angry and went off on him. He backed away and that was the end of it. If you can stay composed in a situation, at least on the outside, it will go a long way in keeping you safe. Like CD Traveler I have encountered many helpful people, both men and women. I have been fortunate enough in life to have run into many more good people than bad.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Dress to blend in with your surroundings and walk like you know where you are going - my aunt taught me those and I believe they really have served me well.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 3:07 pm

I agree - Walk like you mean business. The only time I've had trouble travelling alone was when I slowed to take in my surroundings outside the Louvre when the sun came out from behind a cloud. Despite armed machine gun carrying guards standing around - a man came up and hugged me. Fortuneatly nothing pick pocketed.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 3:13 pm

Trust you gut (or the hair on the back of your neck.)

Last winter I was in Sofia, Bulgaria. One day when I came back to the hotel after work, two men were waiting near the elevators when I walked up. They quickly jumped into the elevator after me and didn't press a floor button. I immediately hit the button for the first floor, where the Executive Lounge is located. I went into the lounge, got a soda and read my Kindle for about 20 minutes. When I came out, the guys were nowhere to be seen.

I don't know if they had bad intentions, but I'm glad I didn't wait around to find out.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I agree with Carole 100%, that is another great one. I'm happy all ended well!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why even address him? Just walk away.

Originally Posted by carole_d
Trust you gut (or the hair on the back of your neck.)

Last winter I was in Sofia, Bulgaria. One day when I came back to the hotel after work, two men were waiting near the elevators when I walked up. They quickly jumped into the elevator after me and didn't press a floor button. I immediately hit the button for the first floor, where the Executive Lounge is located. I went into the lounge, got a soda and read my Kindle for about 20 minutes. When I came out, the guys were nowhere to be seen.
Indeed, trust your instincts. Did you have time to just walk out of the elevator before the doors closed? I've done that; when I've felt uncomfortable on an elevator especially when someone gets in and doesn't press a button, I get out immediately. Doesn't happen often but it does happen.

Other advice:

1. Pack lightly so you can be self sufficient.
2. Never get in an empty or nearly empty subway car. Go where the crowds are.
3. Wear your purse across your body. Smaller strapped purses can easily be stolen.
4. Make sure your purse is closed while you are out and about. So many women leave their purses open.
5. This has been said before, but when you check in, make sure the front desk doesn't announce your room number but instead writes it down for you.
6. Don't walk and text.
7. Have fun!!!
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
My admin came by and saw me reading this thread and was curious why I was reading about "any travel tips for womanizers".

Yet another lesson in the need to be aware of your surroundings.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Analise
Indeed, trust your instincts. Did you have time to just walk out of the elevator before the doors closed? I've done that; when I've felt uncomfortable on an elevator especially when someone gets in and doesn't press a button, I get out immediately. Doesn't happen often but it does happen.
I was jet lagged and had put in a full day's work, so it didn't occur to me until the doors were closing. Another lesson learned: pay extra attention to your surroundings when you know you're tired.

Originally Posted by Analise
Other advice:

1. Pack lightly so you can be self sufficient.
2. Never get in an empty or nearly empty subway car. Go where the crowds are.
3. Wear your purse across your body. Smaller strapped purses can easily be stolen.
4. Make sure your purse is closed while you are out and about. So many women leave their purses open.
5. This has been said before, but when you check in, make sure the front desk doesn't announce your room number but instead writes it down for you.
6. Don't walk and text.
7. Have fun!!!
I agree with all of the above except number three. In Malaysia, "snatch thefts" are very common. Two men on a motorcycle (or scooter) pull up and the passenger grabs a woman's bag. Several women have been killed being dragged down the road.

I carry a small purse with a shoulder strap and keep it tucked snugly under my arm. I also carry it on the side away from the street and walk near the buildings (away from the road). Additionally, I keep anything that I can't live without (i.e. passport) somewhere other than my purse.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Avoid or limit road travel at night as well especially if you are not familiar with the place and of course keep alert at all times.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 9:14 pm

1. If it floats or revolves, you probably don't want to eat there
2. Try not to drink anything blue
3. Remember your towel
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Anna Phor
1. If it floats or revolves, you probably don't want to eat there
2. Try not to drink anything blue
3. Remember your towel
:-)
Old Oct 22, 2012, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Avoid or limit road travel at night as well especially if you are not familiar with the place and of course keep alert at all times.
I have to ask - why?

Do we have to stay barricaded in hotels at night as night is too dangerous for us to go out?

Much better to get a sat nav if you are unfamiliar and just go for it.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:12 am

Print maps out and consult them BEFORE you leave the hotel/cafe/restaurant etc.

Failing which, stick your maps into a non-descript notebook that you can consult while out on the street, so it just looks like you're looking at your agenda instead of holding a map that screams "clueless tourist".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.