Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

1 month in Greece (Packing light)

Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Going to Greece this summer for a month and trying to pack light. Really having a hard time. My question is do I need a purse or should I just take a back back and one roll on case?
I keep reading the hints on packing light but am struggling with this.
I am not a frequent flyer and get nervous as well.

HELP!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:53 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I did a 2 month art history class in Greece with 3 bottoms (convertible pants for crawling around in the dirt in, a knee length skirt for hanging out in, a long skirt to cover up/dress up in) and 6 tops, plus a sundress. I also had 3 pairs of footwear which included walking shoes, flip slops and ballet flats. The climate is really dry and clothes washed in the sink have no problem drying overnight.

This all fit in a rolling trolley with room to spare.

Bring a small bottle of body lotion to keep your skin moisturized and a good amount of sunscreen and a good hat.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:41 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Stars4SA
Going to Greece this summer for a month and trying to pack light. Really having a hard time. My question is do I need a purse or should I just take a back back and one roll on case?
I keep reading the hints on packing light but am struggling with this.
I am not a frequent flyer and get nervous as well.

HELP!
skip the purse. You can always buy one when you get there.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 12:47 am

Programs: QF CL
Originally Posted by missydarlin
skip the purse. You can always buy one when you get there.
For day to day I agree you can do without the purse if you have the daypack, but a very flat, small clutch can be handy if you plan on going out in the evenings and it takes up very little space and weight in your bag if you choose it carefully.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:07 am

Long post incoming!

I think the key to packing light is making sure everything matches and you can make items do double duty. A camisole that can be worn as a top during the day but double as a swim suit top as well. That sort of thing. Sticking to a single color scheme also makes life easier.

I spend 10 weeks every year in Scotland. I only bring a single roll on suitcase and a purse or backpack. I'll give you an example of what I bring. (This is in winter, mind you, but you can adapt this to summer)

1 pair of jeans (dark) You could trade this for shorts.

1 pair of tights (black) Eliminate this and add swim suit.

1 sold color dress - midlength (can be dressed up or down using accessories)

2 cardigans (I would substitute a nice silky robe or pjs for this in summer or have 1 thin cardigan for breezy weather)

1 fuzzy/cozy sweater (Good for lounging in cold weather) I would sub this for a second dress in summer.

3 Shirts. One in a trendy style for dressing up, one that you can layer over a camisole or wear alone (think collared- button up) and one plain tee shirt.

2 camisoles (one for layering/day time and one for bed)

Scarves. Generally same color scheme but different patterns. One always a solid. (Scarves are my weakness. I always bring too many and buy even more.) I would suggest at least one scarf made from light fabric. Uses for scarves are endless. You can cover your shoulders when you are hot or cold, wear as a skirt, or beach cover up, add it to a dress for night time, wear over your head as a sun shield...etc.

1 pair of boots for every day use. I usually go with riding style boots because they are easy to dress up and down. You could trade these for comfortable walking shoes for summer.

1 pair of solid color flats. These are used for nights out. (I add a fuzzy insole and they double as slippers)

2 bras (one light, one dark, both easy to wash material)

As many pair of underwear as you feel comfortable taking. I try to cram in as many as possible. (This is my 'just in case' item)

2 pairs of socks.

Now, this is my basic list. I think if I need it, I can always buy it there. No big deal.
I try to keep everything within the same 3 colors. So I don't have to worry too much about what goes with what. (This year was black, tan and red for instance)

I also know that I will probably get tired of wearing the same thing over and over and seeing other women in trendy clothes makes me want to drop the credit card at the nearest mall so, I have a rule about shopping: 1 in, 1 out.
If I buy something new, it must be followed by donating something I'm tired of.

Accessories can make the most simple items really sparkle. I like to buy my accessories when I arrive at my destination. Kind of serves as my personal souvenir shopping.

As far as purses/bags go, I would definitely bring your backpack. If you feel like having your stuff beind you feels unsafe, trade it for a cross body bag. Personally I think it should be big enough to hold a camera, wallet (personal docs), hat, scarf and room for any small purchases made that day.

And as for being a nervous traveller, I like to bring a photo of a loved one (my cat!) to look at when I feel down and a book of puzzles to solve to pass the time.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Baghoarder
For day to day I agree you can do without the purse if you have the daypack, but a very flat, small clutch can be handy if you plan on going out in the evenings and it takes up very little space and weight in your bag if you choose it carefully.
I wouldn't skip bringing a purse, but just bring a fabric one that can get flattenend and squished into your suitcase for the journey, then taken out and used while you're there. Personally I find a backpack, even a daypack, too big and bulky to haul around all the time for sightseeing. It ends up giving me shoulder/back pain because the temptation to fill it up with stuff is too great. (Oh, I can fit my camera/water bottle/sweater/iPad/magazine/etc. in here! and all of a sudden I am lugging around a 15-pound bag.) If I have a smaller bag, I am forced to go with less weight in it!

Anyway, a month in summer with one rollaboard is a piece of cake. It's hot...clothes are smaller and thinner. And sandals squash down much easier than shoes. As ChickadeeSnacks said, stick to mix-and-match colors, and pick clothes that can serve more than one purpose. And strictly limit your shoe count--three pairs, max. This is what really takes up room in a bag.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for taking the time and offering suggestions!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:50 pm

I second bring the purse. A medium size light weight fabric one that can go cross body for hands free. It needs to zip closed outside, plus inner zip pockets. With a wide shoulder pad slipped over the strap, it will be comfortable and you can even sit without taking it off when security is an issue.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 1:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG, BAEC, SPG, Global Entry
I agree with Tizzette about bringing a lightweight, medium sized, cross body purse that can be flattened in your carry on luggage.

I hope my story sets your mind at ease: I'm someone who loves purses and when I'm home, I swap them out on a day-to-day basis...and they aren't particularly small. Yet when I'm traveling, I somehow manage beautifully with a one much smaller REI travel purse I bought years ago. I have been able to fit anything I need for a day of touring inside (tissues, small camera, pens, small notebook, iPhone, a few band aids, lozenges, sunglasses) inside.

travelmad478 was spot on about the temptation to fill up a day pack; even if I wasn't the culprit, the SalishSea family regarded me as their porter when I used a daypack instead of a purse, and I was lugging around their water bottles and jackets during the day. I was in pain by the third day. Never again.

I envision you traveling nice and streamlined through Greece
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
I use a Slainte hip bag, http://www.etsy.com/shop/slaintebags?section_id=5912285, for my everyday purse and it also serves me well for traveling.

It's lightweight, has just enough room for a few things, zipper close, has an outside zipper and inside zippered pocket, and stays close to my body.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 2:30 pm

Warm weather means light packing! You'll be fine, as long as (1) you don't take a ton of shoes, and (2) you realize you can indeed wash things and they'll dry quickly. Take some sort of clothesline and clips, unless you know there are laundry facilities where you're going.

In addition to the roller bag, I'd take either a backpack or purse, but not both. I am a big fan of American-made bags by Tom Bihn (tombihn.com) I usually take a medium cafe bag, which has room for a water bottle, iPad, slim wallet and pouches for various things like passports. http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/200/TB0202

I'm thinking of buying the Co-Pilot bag: http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/PROD/500/TB0967 It's pricey but really wonderfully organized and lightweight (especially in the checked dyneema fabric). If you go to that site, look also at the packing cube shoulder bag: this one is designed to be used as a packing cube while travelling, but as a day-bag at the destination. It's really lightweight and does double duty.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.