Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Need Suggestions For Crossbody Purse & Passport Wallet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2012, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Hello ladies,

I need some suggestions for your favorite and most functional crossbody purse and passport wallet. I do like something leather but other materials are fine but I am not looking for something that is unisex.

For the passport wallet, I want a small, slimline but with a coin compartment. RFID blocking isn't a requirement, hammer time took care of that issue. I need it to handle about 5 cards, passport, bills and coins and be light and small. I saw where TCL uses this one, which I seriously considered, I like the Hobo Euro Slide but I am concerned the cards might slide out since there is no cover. I love all the colors the Hobo Euro Slide comes in. Of course if there were a cover it wouldn't be so thin!

For the crossbody I prefer black leather or black something. I don't want an ultra tiny one because I want to put my new passport wallet in it, a Kindle (sometimes), 2 phones, umbrella, and a few other misc. things. I also don't want one that is large and cumbersome either and I don't like one that has a built in wallet, organizational system. A few pockets and compartments are fine but not looking for an organizer crossbody.

Thanks for your help, it is for a trip to the England and Ireland in the springtime.

Last edited by MissJoeyDFW; Jan 30, 2012 at 9:01 am
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
My standard travel purse over the past few years has been a microfiber Ameribag healthy back sling bag. It can go cross-body or just on my shoulder because the strap is adjustable (I have the large size). It fits my passport wallet, water bottle, kindle, small umbrella, other standard purse stuff (lip balm, hand sanitizer, lotion), camera, and even a rain coat or scarf if I'm layering and take something off....

http://www.ameribag.com/chbb-microfiber.html

I have other smaller options (mostly lesportsac) I like nylon or microfiber because it's lightweight, not harmed by rain - and in fact, I can throw the bags in the washing machine when I get home. They do have options in leather though, as I notice that was what you originally asked for. Oops - sorry.

Last edited by Hoyaheel; Jan 30, 2012 at 7:37 am
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I have an old style coach swing bag in black that I really like because of the zippered compartment on the back of the bag that fits my passport. It is also all black and does not scream coach.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
My standard travel purse over the past few years has been a microfiber Ameribag healthy back sling bag. It can go cross-body or just on my shoulder because the strap is adjustable (I have the large size). It fits my passport wallet, water bottle, kindle, small umbrella, other standard purse stuff (lip balm, hand sanitizer, lotion), camera, and even a rain coat or scarf if I'm layering and take something off....

http://www.ameribag.com/chbb-microfiber.html

I have other smaller options (mostly lesportsac) I like nylon or microfiber because it's lightweight, not harmed by rain - and in fact, I can throw the bags in the washing machine when I get home. They do have options in leather though, as I notice that was what you originally asked for. Oops - sorry.
Oh I am very open to other materials, just a little stuck on the color of black.

On another note, I did research through many of the threads but because the posts were old a lot of the links didn't work.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 8:40 am

I know a lot of women like Baggalini bags - I've never seen a style I like (a lot seem to have the built-in organizational wallet feature and I detest that, so....) But that might be a product for you to check. And of course, Pacsafe (though again, I don't find them all that attractive personally....My husband has used some of their products for his camera equipment and vouches for the quality....)

http://www.baggallini.com/

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php...uct_status=New

Hmm - I do sort of like that pacsafe passport cover. http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php...=detail&id=150

My passport wallet is Eagle Creek and I bought it in 1992. Geez that's a long time ago. It's a neck wallet though I rarely wear it that way - just stick it in the purse.... This is the closest current version to what I have - I do use my zippered compartments for coins: http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessorie...let-DLX-41128/
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
I use a PacSafe CitySafe 200 as my daily cross-body bag. Not leather, but it is a great travel bag, and it's large enough to hold an iPad.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:53 pm

For a few years I happily used the Matt and Nat Fujiya bag in black. .Its vegan but looks good and fits iPad, camera, phones, travel umbrella, travel book, stuffed rain jacket, small water bottle. Strap is sturdy and does not twist.

I received a Baggallini Big Sydney bag (size is 14 x 11 x 5) in black as a gift and reluctantly started using - have been pleasantly surprised. .I too do not like built in wallets but there are just some card slots in the main compartment I ignore. .iPad fits perfectly in the back slot pocket. .Pockets in front hold blackberry and iPhone in zippered one and Canon elf in twist lock. I am constantly amazed at what I can fit into bag - including everything I used to put in the other bag. .Strap is sturdy and does not twist. .Friends have since purchased the medium Sydney and are pleased but note it does not fit iPad.

I have an older LV wallet - I think it is called long checkbook. It has six slots for cards, zipper change pocket and open area where you can stash iPhone or receipts, slip pocket inside at the back for passport and fold over closure with snap. It's light and works perfectly.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL, AA
I love the functionality of the eBags Piazza day bag. It doesn't have an "organizer", but has several useful pockets and is large enough to carry everything on your list. Plus the strap is long enough to wear over your shoulder or cross-body.

eBags also makes a "Villa" cross-body which is smaller. And both are available in black.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

So I walked to Bergman Luggage today from my hotel in downtown Seattle. What a nice luggage shop! I found the Pacsafe City, the Baggallini Sydney (both sizes) and a lot of other brands and styles. I am really liking the black nylon material, so lightweight and better in rainy weather than leather. I also saw the eBags Piazza at the eBags website that was mentioned here. I like all three, they are right up my alley. I am pondering them all. I also saw the Ameribag today, very nice!

I had to leave Bergman's though, luggage stores are very dangerous places for me to be in. I wind up with new bags, laptop cases and all sorts of handy dandy packing gizmo type stuff.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW
, luggage stores are very dangerous places for me to be in. I wind up with new bags, laptop cases and all sorts of handy dandy packing gizmo type stuff.
Ditto!!! I'm glad you found so many options in one place - I love to shop online and do end up purchasing most things online, but for luggage & purses - it really helps to feel the bag, not just for weight but to check construction quality, size of pockets (you don't always get all measurements online and even when you do, don't always know if they're internal or external measurements etc)
Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:06 pm

I have been eyeing this passport wallet by Nau except it seems a bit thick to me
http://www.nau.com/accessories/landi...oc-808U01.html

The Sea to Summit wallets are also on my radar
http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/107

Not thin but it looks pretty handy
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270637477012...84.m1423.l2649

Coach outlet sometimes has nice crossbody purses and sometimes they will make them with plain black leather with less flashy hardware.

I have this convertible backpack purse in black leather http://www.binkbags.com/html/tapered_convertable.htm and since it crosses at the top when you put it into backpack mode, it is pretty secure.

Too bad the Tom Bihn showroom is appointment only tomorrow and Friday, if you're still in Seattle http://www.tombihn.com/page/001/CTGY/_WHERE They don't offer a feminine cross body or a passport wallet with a coin pocket but they do have clever designs that threaten luggage store addicts.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 2:32 pm

I'm following this thread with interest as I've been looking for a new crossbody for travel. I'm currently using a decade old Kipling bag, which is perfect for my needs in terms of size, weight and function, but it's not quite nice enough for all of my travel, so I'm looking for something else.

Originally Posted by freecia
I have been eyeing this passport wallet by Nau except it seems a bit thick to me
http://www.nau.com/accessories/landi...oc-808U01.html
Funny, I had no idea Nau had accessories. I love their clothes. This bag looks really nice. I'll have to check it out in person when I'm in Portland in a couple of weeks.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:43 am
Original Poster

I went back to Bergman Luggage, dang them for being so close to my hotel in Seattle. I ended up leaving with a gorgeous Knomo Genova rolling laptop bag. I also have their Silvi matching bag on order. Which still leaves me still looking for the crossbody for travel and passport wallet. I do have some some great bags I am considering for the crossbody though! I decided to go with a medium size so I am agonizing over these choices.

Baggallini Hobo I have some Baggallini products and love them!

Pacsafe Toursafe I like the concept of the Pacsafe

Pacsafe Citysafe

Baggallini Big Sydney

When you factor weight of the bag in they are all pretty even, they all weigh between 1.2 pounds and 1.4 pounds.

Decisions, decisions! I have seen them all and tried them all on at the store, I just haven't decided yet. They all have their pros and cons. I read reviews on them and they are ALL highly rated. I did find something interesting in the reviews though, a lot of women re-work the bags. They have sewing skills and they add additional mesh to make an outer pocket larger, they don't like two small pockets so they carefully remove the stitching to create one large pocket, they add additional pockets, they put velcro on a large outer pocket to make it stay closed. One woman took the City Safe completely apart and re-worked into her perfect bag. It makes me look at the bags a little differently instead of going oh I wish it had this, or it didn't have this. Of course any modifications I would need I would have to take to a tailor. I am going to take my Vera Bradley Get Carried Away tote to a tailor and have one of the outer pockets turned into a zippered sleeve.

Which brings me to a passport wallet. I am finding that slimline passport wallets are very difficult to find! I am still looking, I have been looking all over and nothing yet.

Last edited by MissJoeyDFW; Feb 4, 2012 at 9:53 am
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: DL, AA
Your comment re. "modifying" bags reminded me of this thread. The company was founded by a traveler who couldn't the bag she wanted, so she started making them.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJoeyDFW

Baggallini Hobo I have some Baggallini products and love them!

Pacsafe Toursafe I like the concept of the Pacsafe

Pacsafe Citysafe

Baggallini Big Sydney

Okay so here is a crossbody bag update.

I got up close and personal with the Baggallini Hobo, Pacsafe Toursafe and Baggallini Big Sydney. I put my own (small) crossbody inside each purse to get a feel for the purse with a weight load like I usually carry. Ugh, Baggallini what were you thinking when you used heavy canvas for a strap? The wide canvas strap on both the Sydney and Hobo immediately dug into my skin. Just walking around the store for a few minutes left me with a red mark on my skin that lasted a half a day. As you walk the strap "saws" into your skin. The strap is wide and heavy enough that it sort of pushes the fabric of your top back and is abrasive to your bare skin. Very very bad design which is too bad because they were both very cute bags.

So then I tried the Pacsafe Toursafe, great bag, great strap, lots of great features both of convenience and safety but too big for me. So I am trying earlier suggested Pacsafe CitySafe 200 which is two inches smaller.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.