Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's talk nails...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2007, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Let's talk nails...

The mascara threads have helped me with my lashes.

Can you suggest products for nails? Mine are thin, and break easily. I've never been one to have long nails, but I would like them to look professional.

How do you keep your nails looking nice?
Old Apr 15, 2007, 8:48 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Regular manicures do it for me.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:06 pm

Weekly Manicures

I have natural nails. I get weekly manicures at my favorite nail salon. If I start skipping manicures I start having trouble with my nails. The following seems to work for me.

Weekly manicures
In order of application:
OPI Chip Skip
OPI Natural Nail base coat
OPI polish
OPI top coat

Last edited by MissJoeyDFW; May 21, 2007 at 9:06 am
Old Apr 15, 2007, 10:23 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AF, SPG and Tivo!
Vitamin E
Multi Vitamins
Don't chew on them
Keep em sort of short
Drink milk or take calcium supplement

Polish really doesn't do anything WITHIN the nail bed. Nails need just as many vitamins/nutrients and anything else.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 2:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Not only do I have weak nails, but I also love to dig in the dirt when I have time.

I have, however, in my dedication to becoming as beautiful as possible in my old age (for my 45th reunions this summer and fall), been trying this product called TIPS, and it really seems to be working.

With traveling over 100,000 miles air miles a year, taking four cruises a year, dancing at least two or three times a week, working out 6 days a week, trying to get at least one massage a week, maintaining a household and loving family, not to mention running a business, I just don't have time for regular manicures. Heck, I barely can squeak in an annual mammogram and four haircuts a year.

I have also had decent success using a product called "Horse Hoof" which is an intensive protein treatment. That really seems to help.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Major phobia! No one touches my nails but me. I am a gardener as well and take care of animals. My nails look just fine and are healthy. I eat a lot of cheese and yoghurts. I think that helps.

I do my own dishes which helps to keep my nails and hands clean and smooth. I very seldom use polish. Basically no time to do so.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Major phobia! No one touches my nails but me.
Me,too. A salon pedicure--my worst nightmare.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 1:13 pm

I always do my own. I hate to take the time to go to a salon. If I don't use polish of some sort my nails peel and split. I've tried about 10 different products but I find the best, for me, is Develop 10 Calcium Gel. I like other Develop 10 products too but the Calcium Gel seems to work the best. I use 2 coats of that, 2 coats of polish and a last coat of Develop 10 CG.

If I do a French manicure. I used 2 coats of Develop 10 CG, then do the tips and then a last coat of Devleop 10. If I do a pinky or light beige kind of French manicure I use a top coat of a polish that has a faint hint of pink or beige.

There's another product that is pretty decent too that's called Nailtiques.

Bobette
Old Apr 16, 2007, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
My nails are thin, weak and peel. I find when I take vitamins and incorporate flaxseed, my nails get stronger. Biotin is good for nails and hair.

I love Essie nail polishes. I use Essie Millionails as base coat, Essie polish, I prefer sheer and my current fave color is Ador A Ball. My top coat is Seche Vite, which is the best!
Old Apr 16, 2007, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I have been using Sally Hansen miracle nails for a couple of years. I've tried OPI, I've tried Essie, none work as well as this one for my nails. I have very soft, weak nails. I push back my cuticles in the shower every day, rub kiehls lip balm into the cuticles and use Aveda or Clarins hand cream. I get occasional manicures but certainly not regular. I also have been taking calcium suppliments and that has made a HUGE difference. Whenever I am in a dry climate my nails chip and break if I don't have polish on.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:22 pm

I love these threads, it's interesting that what works for some doesn't work for others and all the different styles we have.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 1:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I don't mind manicures, pedicures, or foot massages, I just can't find the time. I actually love it when Hunki or my daughter massage my feet.

When my Mom got old, one of her greatest pleasures was my daughter massaging her feet with relaxing creams. I just hope I have a granddaughter to rub my feet when I am old.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
I never paid attention to my fingernails until I was in my late teens (early years of college). I decided to let them grow and gave myself manicures every Sunday evening. My nails were extremely hard and rarely broke during this period (maybe it was all the cheap beer and other substances). At one point, my nails were over an inch long. When I first started working (30 years ago on this Wednesday), I was able to do accounting work even with my ridiculously-long nails.

Over the years, I have always had natural nails; now they are only about 1/4 inch or so long. I started getting professional manicures about twelve years ago because my hair stylist was in dire financial and matrimonial condition. She was pregnant and a newly-wed; she had just found out that her wonderful new husband was a convicted child molester. After he was sent back to jail, I started getting manicures every week so that she would earn more money and so that I could keep informed of her life (it was better than a soap opera). The salon is an old-fashioned beauty salon with high-standards of hygiene (also few customers get manicures).

My stylist/manicurist is now on husband number three, her finances are stable, and my nails look great.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush.
FlyForFun------------------
Old Apr 17, 2007, 11:28 am

I'm a digger as well. I'm now using a buff board (foam block with four sides of different textures) to make my nails look presentable since nail polish won't stay on.

It's a travel dream since I don't have to carry bottles of nail polish, remover cloths, an emery board, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.