Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

What to wear between room and hotel pool?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to wear between room and hotel pool?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2011, 5:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Odd - wandering through a public area in your robe is tacky, but in your nightie is fine

It's just as well we are not all alike
Old Nov 1, 2011, 9:05 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Another item I have is a cotton tunic 1 or 2 sizes too big. I had a seamstress put a button placket on the front and use it as a travel robe. I also have longer cotton tunics (in the correct size) that I wear as a dress and these are nice enough to be seen in public with and make good coverups for the pool.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 3:08 pm

Good idea... was actually thinking of doing something similar to a long sheath style pullover beach dress...it is a good look but pulling something that long over your head is a hassle.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Odd - wandering through a public area in your robe is tacky, but in your nightie is fine
Yeah, I know it sounds odd... the first time I wore my latest nightie/cover-up ~mr asked me if I was going to sleep in my "clothes" Certainly bears a closer resemblance to clothes than some of the tops I see young girls wearing these days (looks like lingerie to me), not to mention the pajamas and slippers I see cruising the malls!

Must say, though... I'd much rather see somebody traversing the lobby of a nice hotel in a robe than the ones I've seen wearing nothing more than a bikini and flip flops.

I guess my preference for a bit of decorum makes me officially old fashioned. Sigh.

~mrs
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by mr&mrs
Yeah, I know it sounds odd... the first time I wore my latest nightie/cover-up ~mr asked me if I was going to sleep in my "clothes" Certainly bears a closer resemblance to clothes than some of the tops I see young girls wearing these days (looks like lingerie to me), not to mention the pajamas and slippers I see cruising the malls!

Must say, though... I'd much rather see somebody traversing the lobby of a nice hotel in a robe than the ones I've seen wearing nothing more than a bikini and flip flops.

I guess my preference for a bit of decorum makes me officially old fashioned. Sigh.

~mrs
LOL, not at all. I think we'd be better off if we had a bit more decorum in public.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA G, *G, Global Entry, Marriott, Hilton, Fairmont, Hyatt, Starwood etc
Wink weightless, volumeless pool wear that is clean

I take a sarong type gauze fabric wrap that works and actually looks nice, or my ultra thin silk kimono which is a robe but which looks (sort of) like a geisha costume. Neither takes up any space in carryon.

I also love the travel shower shoe/slippers I get at Magellan's http://www.magellans.com/store/Cloth...n___ShoesTS491
which are about as large as an envelope, last a LONG time, and can be worn in the shower or pool if you're skittish about whatever. All it does is bleach them whiter.

I used to wear them through security until some TSA jerk was afraid I could hide a bomb in the paper thin (probably made of paper) soles. An agent in the same airport had congratulated me on my ingenuity on my international arrival flight. Now I wear OR shoe covers.

I guess the ultimate pool wear would be disposable patient gowns...maybe officious hotel staff would prefer robes?
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:57 am
Original Poster

I thought this post on what to wear over your bathing suit where would be a fitting addendum to this thread: http://amidprivilege.com/2012/01/cho...-suit-coverup/
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Katja
I thought this post on what to wear over your bathing suit where would be a fitting addendum to this thread: http://amidprivilege.com/2012/01/cho...-suit-coverup/
High WASP?? Others?? I just can't with this woman, even if she does have sound advice.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:53 pm

I have a long (almost ankle length) cotton knit Lands End tank dress- I use it as a coverup, nightgown or just relaxing in my room.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:10 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by taylorc418
High WASP?? Others?? I just can't with this woman, even if she does have sound advice.
Truly hilarious isn't she?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:24 am

Thing is, her style of dressing will never make you look ridiculous in old photos years from now. She's a professional fashionista so taking style seriously is her work and her art. I only found out about her blog from this thread, but I found it entertaining and useful. Not part of that world myself, though. Black stretch jeans and black mockneck tees with different sweaters and jackets, that is all I wear 90% of the time. We have wandered so far from topic here!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:02 pm

Two words: maxi dress.

I generally loathe anything that's shapeless and unflattering, but if I'm just going to the pool then a black knit dress is pretty easy without the appearance of being under dressed.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:24 am

Well, when 20-35, used an old v. stylish mens white voile cotton shirt, with tails - transparent when wet!
35-50, swapped to an old stylish blue/white candystriped mens cotton shirt - not transparent when wet, and used sarong as skirt for modesty.
Now, almost 60 - and a mastectomy later - use the same formula as when I was 50, but not in a hotel pool, no interest in that any more, but its still great gear when swimming in a private pool, or off a boat - which I much prefer in anycase!

Last edited by grannieflyer; Feb 1, 2012 at 2:36 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by marion10
I have a long (almost ankle length) cotton knit Lands End tank dress- I use it as a coverup, nightgown or just relaxing in my room.
That's what I have, a black tank/sheath from Lands End, but pulling the whole ankle length of it over my head at the pool was a hassle. I just put in an 18 inch zipper down the front. One of those gold fashion zippers so it even upped the styling... the thing would be perfect if it just had a pocket for the room key.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: American Airlines, Marriott, Hertz, Avis
Bumping a VERY old thread for new suggestions! I've been buying cover ups wherever I am on vacation & just using them until they fall apart, but last summer my most recent purchase did truly fall apart and I need one before I'll actually be somewhere to buy one. I'm also ridiculously picky, I like a cover up that has sleeves (short to 3/4) & covers until my knees (and I'm 5'10).

Any recommendations? What's your favorite cover up you purchased recently?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.