Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Comfortable and pretty walking shoes/boots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Headed to Europe soon and thinking of how much walking I did in London last fall. I would guess several miles a day. My feet were killing me in what I thought were comfy shoes and boots!!

I bought a pair of ballet slippers thinking they would be great, but in reality just wearing them around for short periods of time they aren't very comfy at all.

I will also be doing a good bit of standing as I will have a booth at a conference during the end of the trip.

Any good suggestions on keeping my feet happy and still pretty at the same time? I would bring my nursing shoes (I still may) but really looking for something more stylish.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Check out Keen shoes. They are best known for their sandals, but they have some dress shoes that are supposed to be very comfortable. As soon as the temperature hits anything resembling spring, I tend to live in my Keen sandals as much as possible.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kipper
Check out Keen shoes. They are best known for their sandals, but they have some dress shoes that are supposed to be very comfortable. As soon as the temperature hits anything resembling spring, I tend to live in my Keen sandals as much as possible.
They would be too casual to wear for much of my trip. Looking for something a little more dressy and stylish. These just remind me of hiking in New England.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:20 am
t2r

Programs: AS MVP
Smile Comfy shoes

Try Born or Born Crown shoes sold at Macy's or Nordies. You may be able to snag a great pair at Nord Rack. They are very comfy. If you are near a Clarke's shoe store, those are cushy as well for walking and standing comfort. You can also get Dr. Scholl gel inserts if you have no time. Good luck.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Regular ballet flats wouldn't have enough support for me, but there are some varieties with support - like Privo or Merrells. I just did a trade show and wore Keen boots most days (http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...For-Women.html) They're great for travel (I wore them for a week in snowy/sleety Amsterdam last fall too) and look nice with pants. I wore Privo Mary Janes the days I didn't wear the Keen boots. Other brands that are supportive and fit me well are Dansko and Softspot - Clarks & Born are too narrow for me (but Privo - owned by Clarks - fit me go figure)

For knee high boots, I have a pair of Rockports and a pair from Softspots - both with low heels - that are exceedingly comfortable as well, though I don't usually travel with taller boots.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
I had a pair of Rockport sandals for years that were so comfy I couldn't bear to part with them (and they stank to high heaven for the last two years I had them). My husband has some Cole Haan's with Nike Air that he loves. I'd but there is a women's version.

I had faciitis so I make sure all my shoes have gel in them (I will buy inserts, if necessary). So you might be able to modify a pair of shoes you already have with an insert.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by kukukajoo
They would be too casual to wear for much of my trip. Looking for something a little more dressy and stylish. These just remind me of hiking in New England.
I wear mostly GEOX - there are a number of ballet flat styles which have excellent support, and the shoes last a very long time. The added benefit for US readers is that they can be purchased for much cheaper in the US than in Europe, especially via sites such as Amazon or Zappos.

If you are going to the UK you may want to check the Clarks shops as they carry different styles than in the US. I tend not to like the US styles but some of the UK ones I find attractive; sadly they do not however fit my size 42 feet.

This style is a little more narrow in look but very comforable http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...0C9F2QQD6KJK6F

This one in black is my favourite with jeans and has lasted a few years of hard walking http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...0C9F2QQD6KJK6F

I also like many of the GEOX Lola styles. Names are a little confusing as Stefany and Lola apply to many of their styles, and they just change the number and style every few years.

Hush puppies are also carried in many shops in Europe; I have one pair of the body shoe line which is a more casual ballet style but very comfortable. I would only wear it with jeans/trousers however. http://www.hushpuppies.com/US/en-US/...tretch/H502492 In reality one cannot see the various materials on this shoe unless one looks very closely (at least in black)

ECCO makes some 'pretty' shoes but I have never been able to find a pair which fits me so cannot comment on comfort.

There is also a long thread here about shoe recommendations but I find like you that many are not my personal style.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt
I love my Merrell Tetra Launch boots-- they're waterproof, amazingly comfortable, and I feel like a superhero in them. I wish Merrell would do more plain leather shoes. If they can do simple in boots, can't they in shoes? All the shoes have zany material combinations that look cheezy to me...
Old Mar 22, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Avis First, National EE, Marriott Gold
I swear by Dansko clogs for conferences - if they're worn with dress pants, they aren't as frumpy or clunky looking. They have a lot of patterns and styles so it's nice for variety.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: Delta DM, MM
I swear by SUPERfeet arch supports, I add them to my flats. The 1/2 black ones that are sold at Nordstroms shoe department can be added to any dress shoe, making them much more comfortable for long days.
I also like AGL brand flats and some Donald Pliner's (some of them are cute!)
Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by kukukajoo
Headed to Europe soon and thinking of how much walking I did in London last fall. I would guess several miles a day. My feet were killing me in what I thought were comfy shoes and boots!!

I bought a pair of ballet slippers thinking they would be great, but in reality just wearing them around for short periods of time they aren't very comfy at all.

I will also be doing a good bit of standing as I will have a booth at a conference during the end of the trip.

Any good suggestions on keeping my feet happy and still pretty at the same time? I would bring my nursing shoes (I still may) but really looking for something more stylish.
I posted an extensive list of what I like for comfort in January so it's fairly current on what is available.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/women...-shoes-14.html

Some of my favorites are listed below as well. I second Dansko for being comfortable for standing long periods of time.

Dansko Bobbi - I have these in black, I like them so much I may get the brown as well, the have a removable insert. The cuff is adjustable or can be worn all the way up.
http://www.thewalkingcompany.com/dan...ed-nappa/13444
Born Crown Yolando - I have these boots in black, they do not have a removable insert, however an insert will fit inside if you are going to be on your feet for hours. They got me through a 5 hour class reunion with little discomfort.
http://www.borncrown.com/Product.asp...CategoryID=102
Dansko Summer - A co-worker introduced me to Dansko's recently, so far so good.
http://www.thewalkingcompany.com/dan...ll-grain/13378
Dansko Solstice - Another comfortable pair.
http://www.thewalkingcompany.com/dan...ce-black/10637
Old Mar 22, 2011, 5:40 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marr Plat, Natl Elite, AMEX Plat, AA PP
There is a brand called Naot, they are phenomenally comfortable, great for your feet and usually found at shoe stores that specialize in comfort or ortho type shoes. They have a true anatomical cork footbed with real arch support and have some pretty cute styles. The only drawback is that they are not inexpensive. Personally, I opt for a couple pairs of really great shoes that I wear to death, but I understand the love of shoes. View Naot's styles.

Another brand I love, but not quite a true comfort shoe, Tsubo. They are a little more trendy, very lightweight, extremely comfortable. I have the Acreas in Merlot and walk the office, airport, train an all day class in them etc. Great shoes! I wanted to buy them in black but they were out and they were so comfortable I randomly bought merlot. I have another style too, can't remember the name. Here's the link for Tsubo.

I always think the Danskos look so comfy but they are not dressy enough for me at work.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: SWA rapid rewards, AAdvantage
You might take a look at Softspots, Clarks, Clarks Indigo (modern) and Clarks Privo (mostly sporty). I search on Zappos.com for comfort shoes and find the look I want.

I wish I could wear Merrell every day, but they are sporty looking, and sadly I can't wear them to weddings...

You might also consider whether you should have an extremely comfortable pair of walking shoes (and good socks) that you can use when your more attractive footwear becomes uncomfortable.

Or consider what I do on urban vacations which include sightseeing followed by a meal in a nice restaurant, which is wear the comfort shoes, and carry dressy, lightweight shoes or sandals which I slip on just before we get to the restaurant. I always have a bag with room for extra items and purchases.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:42 pm

Programs: SWA rapid rewards, AAdvantage
ok, I just went to zappos, and there is no longer a category for comfort shoes! Yikes! You can look specifically at comfort shoes on onlineshes.com, however. Sorry about that!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 2:47 am

Programs: LH SEN
The French Arche shoes are stylish (my taste) and super comfortable.
Amazon has a better selection than Zappos, btw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.