Community
Wiki Posts
Search

skirts for sightseeing

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2011, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

skirts for sightseeing

Arriving for tour-cruise China in mid April. A friend who has been there recently suggested I consider wearing a skirt on days we would be sightseeing. She feels that I would be better able to use the WC facilities. I am 75 and squatting is hard on my knees. Any comments?

Last edited by Katja; Feb 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm Reason: Moved to new thread at OP's request
Old Feb 18, 2011, 4:16 pm

A skirt is actually a good idea. The most common toilet in the major tourist areas by far is the squatter; you might have to wait in a long line of westerners to use a western-style toilet, if there is one present (usually on the end of a row).
You can usually brace against the (narrow) walls; just remember to pull the undies (and/or pants) down and hold them far forward, and you will be ok.
ALWAYS carry your own tissue (count on there NEVER being tp, and if there is, it's outside the stalls) and a purse-sized antibacterial hand sanitizer. No paper or soap at sinks, either.
Western-style hotels have western-style toilets, though.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 6:11 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I agree -skirts are very nice in squatty potties - I was just in Tanzania for work for a couple weeks and wore mostly skirts. Also carried tissues and had antibacterial wipes (I had liquid hand sanitizer too, but I like the wipes - it was really really dusty in TZ as the rains hadn't started yet and the wipes are better at cleaning my hands - they also travel better since they're not liquids....)

Polyester knit skirts (from a microfiber to a travellers knit type skirt - sold so many places these days) should travel nicely - no wrinkles, wash & dry overnight etc.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 9:08 am

This makes me think: I haven't traveled since the nude-o-scopes came into widespread use, and had planned to avoid them on the basis of radiation, not wanting some stranger to see me virtually naked, and general disgust. However, I always wore loose skirts on a plane before (hate binding pants); will I have a TSA groper crawling up my skirt if I wear one and opt out of the nude-o-scope experience?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
This makes me think: I haven't traveled since the nude-o-scopes came into widespread use, and had planned to avoid them on the basis of radiation, not wanting some stranger to see me virtually naked, and general disgust. However, I always wore loose skirts on a plane before (hate binding pants); will I have a TSA groper crawling up my skirt if I wear one and opt out of the nude-o-scope experience?
You might want to ask this over on the Travel Safety-Security forum; they're well-versed on TSA gropage.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:32 pm

I haven't used that type of bathroom so I can't speak for how well these skirts would work in that circumstances. However these are my favorite travel skirts.

I like the J. Jill wearever line. I love this J. Jill skirt, it is long and heavy enough (not hot though) that it doesn't blow up on windy days. I wear it with boots, regular shoes, sandals. It is easy to hand wash on vacation but be aware it takes while to dry. It is definitely one of my favorite skirts travel or otherwise.

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/pro...80986&h=M&sk=H

I also like this J. Jill one, it's a shorter length.
http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/pro...80986&h=M&sk=H

Chico's has a long skirt that I like called a boot skirt.
http://www.chicos.com/store/browse/p...&maxPg=1&size=

Chico's also has a Travelers line that doesn't wrinkle and washes easily while on the road. I couldn't find a travelers skirt at Chico's online but I saw Travelers skirts at the store the last time I was at Chico's. Ebay has a lot of them if you want to see what they look like, they come in a variety of styles and colors.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...ravelers+skirt
Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:51 pm

I agree, skirts are very convenient for travelling. Prana and REI have some cute and practical (ie wrinkle free) skirts that are great options.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Preparations for toilets in China

Thanks ladies. Will get a knit lightweight skirt. Hate to give up wearing pants. But, think I should be prepared. Speaking of being prepared, does anyone on this forum have experience with "GoGirl"? Ordered it yesterday, and understand it takes a bit of practice
Old Feb 21, 2011, 7:46 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
I travel in China a lot and almost always wear pants. The secret is to be able to roll the bottoms of your pants up as you walk into the bathroom area. Just remember to roll them back down before you walk back out Therefore silky-jersey palazzo pants are definitely a no-no and while skorts (short & skirt combo) are otherwise excellent for travel, they are really inconvenient for toilet-ing unless you have a pristine toilet such as the one back at home/hotel.

One really important thing to remember is to not have anything in your pockets as the process of squating will cause things to fall out of your pocket. Hold the packet of kleenex in the palm of your hand as you go into the stall If you have a sturdy toilet at home and a decent sense of balance, you can practice by stepping up onto the toilet (preferably not on the seat) and squatting just to get the whole holding up the skirt/pants and "going" thing.

Also make sure your shoes are non-slip as these bathrooms are often wet. Squat toilets are actually much cleaner (in less than tourist class areas) than western style toilets because the bathroom attendant will wash the floor and lower walls and everything non-solid will be rinsed into the hole. Solids (including toilet paper) go into the the baskets in each stall.

As for "GoGirl" type devices, again practice, practice, practice. You'll need to stand with your legs apart at shoulder width and stick your bum out like a duck so that the angle of the device points downwards and away from your body Again much easier with a skirt. The downside to these things is that while they work great in the woods, the height of liquid coming down on a hard surface such as a squat toilet will cause a very big splash (which is why urinals are elevated). Also there is the handwashing/device rinsing thing. It is generally frowned upon to rinse these in the sink.

There are disposable versions that are made of waxed cardboard for single-use and can be disposed of discretely in the regular trash. These are usually shorter and need more skill and practice to get right.

This one, I do not recommend as it requires straddling the toilet, wearing a skirt, having a wide stall and having mile-long legs. Too specific & too many restrictions

In all versions, it is extremely important to keep the personal shrubbery as short as possible.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:18 am

A device that is helpful for getting up after squatting is a telescopic walking stick. I have one and always bring it into the squatters with me.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
tcl best advice and absolutely right on every point. You covered the specifics very well, which is the point of the question.

OP, skirts are the way to go, both around town in in the toilets. I don't normally wear them, but find squat toilets, advancing years, and pants are a bad combo. BTW, look at the situation and consider feet planted on the floor and hovering. Usually works.

Enjoy your trip - I envy you.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Practice

Will try practice, practice, practice, but in a stall shower, not atop my toilet. Too old to try that trick. As to walking stick and holding clothes away from body, I don't think I am that dexterious. Thank you all for the helpful hints I think limiting the a.m. coffee intake, will probably help also.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Royal Robbins makes nice travel clothing. Not sure if they have skirts this season, but I've bought their longish skirts in past years and am very pleased with them.

Do NOT wear a skirt on days you fly. Definitely wear pants to go through airport security. Many horror stories over on the Safety-Security forum about gropes up under skirts. Yechhhhh.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:36 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
My Mom has something similar to a GoGirl & swears by it in countries where squat toilets are commonly available.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:49 pm

Just don't think they are that big a deal. Pretty clean, easy to use, it's just a matter of getting acquainted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.