Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washing Clothes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 2:47 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Skymiles
I bring along a liquid detergent that can be used in both a washing machine and for handwashing. I find it actually easier to do my laundry in the bathtub or in the event there isn't one, in the shower. I do a modified version of a typical Korean handwashing style which is actually less tiring on the hands.

Fill the tub with just enough water to cover your clothes (usually one piece at a time is best), add your detergent and then add your clothes. Step into the tub and start stepping on your clothes like your squash grapes to make wine. I know it sounds a bit crazy but it actually helps to get dirt out of your clothes (think back to the days when people would pound their clothes to get them clean). You only need to do this for a short while like a minute or two (depending on how dirty your clothes are). Once you've washed all your clothes, drain off the water and then step on them again to try and remove as much of the detergent and water from the fabric. Once you've done that you can fill the tub with clean water and and repeat the process. I guess you could call this the "rinse cycle". Once you've done that, drain the water and step on the clothes again to get rid of the water for the "spin cycle".

You could do the same thing in the shower and would probably be a bit faster given that you'd have the water running - I've done it in the shower when I stayed at a hotel in HK that didn't have a tub, I just made sure I did my laundry just before I had a shower.

One thing I like about this method is that because you're not wringing out the clothes they actually don't crease as much or change their shape as much.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 7:20 am

Then you hopefully have an extra towel or three to roll them, then step on them to remove most of the water.
Old May 11, 2012, 2:09 pm

washing clothes

I simply use the hotel's shampoo to wash undies, etc in the sink, and after rinsing, I add a drop of conditioner in the clean water as a softener.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:08 pm

I would worry about slipping in the bathtub when stomp/washing the clothes. I try to wear light- or medium- weight fabric clothing: easier to wash and rinse. Then layering items for more warmth. .

On a tour, one person made a point to wipe off dust/dirt in the evenings to keep their clothing cleaner.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA, NW
If you travel in Japan, as opposed to Europe, it's easy to find laundromats as well as budget hotels that have coin-operated washing machines for guests. (I never stay in luxury hotels there, so I don't know about them.)

I began traveling to Europe only recently, and I assumed that Europe would be even more convenient than Japan, but I got sticker shot at the prices for laundromats in the UK (£2.85-£3.00 to wash and £1 per 12 minutes to dry?), and in Scandinavia, laundromats were essentially non-existent except for one that I found in Copenhagen.

All I could do was wash clothes in the bathroom and hang them in the shower to dry, but that wasn't really satisfactory, since it took about two days for them to dry.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:51 pm

Dryers still are not that commonplace in many homes in western Europe (and the washing machine is often found in the kitchen of homes).

If you DO find a washing machine, don't expect to find a dryer next to it/on top of it/nearby.

(We've mostly learned to live with crunchy underpants )
Old Aug 5, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
From her attire I'd say that she has many choices of colors of things to wear. Shoes and purses match and she travels with a lot of hair gear.

Not only is she getting overweight charges but she has to tip her way into hotels.
Oh, miaouw!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 2:58 pm

I usually travel when it is winter at my destination, and it's a dirty little secret but I usually don't wash my clothes.

Only my underwear, leggings and socks go through hand-washing daily, and then they go on the travel clothes line (Flexo-Line). The rest go through a rotation and usually I'd air them. I don't know if I ever stank but I never heard any complaints. Nor did I ever feel 'gross' because my underwear and socks are clean. Heh heh. And I usually travel for 3 weeks at a time with only the few clothes in a backpack on my bag. Oops.

Summer time is quite different... That said, even when I was in Tokyo in June, I basically did not wash a single piece of shirt in the 10 days. I was staying with my friend who had a washing machine but I heard no complaints so...

Anyway I dry my washed underwear/socks/tights with my microfibre towel. The same one I use to dry my body off actually, but I would wash it daily after drying off the clothes so it is actually clean.

I use Dr Brommer's soap for both body wash and clothes detergent.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:52 pm

OK maybe this is a guy thing, but isn't easier just to drop laundry off at the front desk or local cleaners. The last thing on a business or vacation trip I want to do is laundry. For the cost of a couple of cocktails at a hotel bar one can avoid spending time during vacations "stompping" in the bathtub. Thats one less thing to worry about and detergent is one less thing to carry in my single rollerboard.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by MrMan
OK maybe this is a guy thing, but isn't easier just to drop laundry off at the front desk or local cleaners. The last thing on a business or vacation trip I want to do is laundry. For the cost of a couple of cocktails at a hotel bar one can avoid spending time during vacations "stompping" in the bathtub. Thats one less thing to worry about and detergent is one less thing to carry in my single rollerboard.
It's not just a guy thing. I'm with you. I pack precisely the quantity of clothing that I will need, planning out what day I'm going to give my clothes to the hotel laundry.

I spent three years living in a place where I did not have a washer/dryer and where there was no laundry service available, washing my clothes in the bathtub. As God is my witness, I will never hand wash clothes again!
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I actually enjoy doing hand laundry when traveling. Relaxing after a long day of work and stress.

OK, so I'm excentric.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:03 pm

On the few occasions that I've inquired about laundry service at a hotel, the cost has been a great deal higher than a few cocktails, and the time frame has been outrageous (36-48 hours). I've never availed myself of it, but a couple of colleagues did once when we were unexpectedly required to stay an extra week, and they never saw their shirts again.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:35 pm

I live in hotels 50 weeks a year. For most name brand (chain) hotels, turn around is in by 9 in your room when you get home. Have not seen multiple days wait. Never have had an issue with delivery, it just magically appears in my room. The cheaper the chain (Hampton) the better the service (Hilton). For dress shirts its about 2X the cost at a local cleaners so 4 dollars/shirt on hanger. Still if I am on vacations I would pay $50 to get my laundry and 'dainties' done rather than carry a seperate suitcase or spend vacation doing laundry. And for a 7 day cruise its a must if you want room in your tiny cabin. Its money well spent IMHO.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:42 pm

Thumbs up

Thanks, these tips will be very helpful to me on my upcoming trip...Also the Tide Pen for getting ride of stains is very useful...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 4:03 pm

I live in hotels 50 weeks a year. For most name brand (chain) hotels, turn around is in by 9 in your room when you get home. Have not seen multiple days wait. Never have had an issue with delivery, it just magically appears in my room. The cheaper the chain (Hampton) the better the service (Hilton). For dress shirts its about 2X the cost at a local cleaners so 4 dollars/shirt on hanger. Still if I am on vacations I would pay $50 to get my laundry and 'dainties' done rather than carry a seperate suitcase or spend vacation doing laundry. And for a 7 day cruise its a must if you want room in your tiny cabin. Its money well spent IMHO.
Good to hear. Thanks for posting your experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.