Wiki Posts
Search

Washing Clothes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:46 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
I agree

Originally Posted by techauthor

5. On two week trips, I search for "Apartment Hotel" and often find a place in a new building that isn't fully rented yet. The owners are covering some costs by renting apartments as long-stay rooms. Typical minimum is 7 or 10, sometimes 14 days. They nearly always have a washer/dryer in the apartment. Also, generally nice furniture, full kitchens and high speed (really!) internet.
On longer trips, I am doing this more and more. It's a great option. For the same money or less you often get more space and more amenities. I use Homeaway or other sites like that...also TripAdvisor is now running listings of "vacation rentals." Got to read the reviews and the pictures carefully, but so far I've never been burned...and had some wonderful places to stay with far more comfort than a hotel. Solves the laundry problem nicely when you have a washer-dryer right in your room Sometimes, there is no minimum stay length--or it's as little as three nights.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 5:01 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, etc.
Hotel shampoo works perfectly. I've been using it for decades. And I travel a lot; 200+ days a year.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: Ua 1K, HH Diamond, MR Platinum, General Badass
Originally Posted by thiefhunter
Hotel shampoo works perfectly. I've been using it for decades. And I travel a lot; 200+ days a year.
I use the hotel shampoo a LOT to wash clothes. I think a flight attendant told me about it.

I used to be one of those travelers who would lug and check a huge bag for a four day stay (15 outfits, 4 pairs of shoes, hairdryer, straightener, etc). I learned how to pack lightly. Now I carry on every trip (I travel every week). It saves so much time. A month ago I took an eight day vacation in Brazil and only took a carry on with me. I'll even forfeit doing laundry on my weekends at home because I know I can just wash what I need when I arrive at my next destination. More time to spend with friends! Or sleep.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I carry along a few pieces (chunks) of Zote soap to do my handwashing. That stuff really works and is cheap. A big bar is about $1. So far no TSA issues.

I tell our new folks that we don't pay for overweight bags. If they pack along more than 50 pounds, they pay the fee. One woman still does that.

She makes fun of me doing hand washing, but I'm not paying fees.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I tell our new folks that we don't pay for overweight bags. If they pack along more than 50 pounds, they pay the fee. One woman still does that.

She makes fun of me doing hand washing, but I'm not paying fees.

Fifty lbs? Fifty lbs of what? Books might do it, or if she brings full size (and full) toiletries. I'm sure I own more than 50 lbs of clothing, but I can't imagine taking it all with me when I travel.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by britskie
I use the hotel shampoo a LOT to wash clothes. I think a flight attendant told me about it.

I used to be one of those travelers who would lug and check a huge bag for a four day stay (15 outfits, 4 pairs of shoes, hairdryer, straightener, etc). I learned how to pack lightly. Now I carry on every trip (I travel every week). It saves so much time. A month ago I took an eight day vacation in Brazil and only took a carry on with me. I'll even forfeit doing laundry on my weekends at home because I know I can just wash what I need when I arrive at my next destination. More time to spend with friends! Or sleep.
I've actually done the same out of necessity. A few spots on a few skirts, too tired to go anywhere, so did the sink-shampoo-dry in the hotel room routine, so def. part of my extended routine now.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by yamakake
Fifty lbs? Fifty lbs of what? Books might do it, or if she brings full size (and full) toiletries. I'm sure I own more than 50 lbs of clothing, but I can't imagine taking it all with me when I travel.
From her attire I'd say that she has many choices of colors of things to wear. Shoes and purses match and she travels with a lot of hair gear.

Not only is she getting overweight charges but she has to tip her way into hotels.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond; United 1K; Marriott Plat Prem; Hilton Diamond
I use hotel shampoo for washing a few items, usually blouses, panties, bras and hose. Any slacks go out for dry-cleaning. If I'm going on a long cruise where I need to do laundry half-way through, I bring pre-measured plastic bags of powdered laundry detergent and several dryer sheets.

A friend needed her panties dried overnight so she placed them on top of a lamp shade and left the lamp on all night. Her panties had burn marks on them in the morning. So I just hang my items over the shower rod if there isn't a laundry line.

Carol
www.smartwomentravelers.com
Old Aug 10, 2010, 9:05 am

She's lucky it was only scorch marks on the panties, not a room fire.

I've been known to dry clothes in hotel rooms with the hair dryer.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:01 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by FlyForFun
If you do not consider it to be bad luck to open an umbrella indoors, an open umbrella makes a good drying rack for wet clothes.
BRILLIANT! And the ziplock washing machine idea is a good one too. Thanks for sharing these great ideas.

Cheers!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by FlyForFun
If you do not consider it to be bad luck to open an umbrella indoors, an open umbrella makes a good drying rack for wet clothes.
I don't travel with an umbrella, but I do travel with a clothesline: http://www.magellans.com/store/Clothing_CareTL461R

And as a bonus, the clothesline takes up less space than an umbrella.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:16 pm
k2o

Programs: UA 1K, DL Dia.,AA Plat, Hilton Dia,Bonvoy T
Originally Posted by Katja
I don't travel with an umbrella, but I do travel with a clothesline: http://www.magellans.com/store/Clothing_CareTL461R

And as a bonus, the clothesline takes up less space than an umbrella.

I've always thought taking a clothesline was a dumb idea, but this one is pretty sweet allowing no clips...thanks for the tip!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 4:21 pm

I take a travel clothesline: a multiple stretchy cords with hooks attached to the ends, and a $1 plastic oval pack flat with 8 attached clothes pins gizmo (this can hangup on its own on a towel rack, an in-tub clothesline, off the shower rod...) + a plastic hanger. --DH thinks we should also bring a pack towel to hasten the drying of the clothes we wash.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:23 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by 8dimsum
I take a travel clothesline: a multiple stretchy cords with hooks attached to the ends, and a $1 plastic oval pack flat with 8 attached clothes pins gizmo (this can hangup on its own on a towel rack, an in-tub clothesline, off the shower rod...) + a plastic hanger. --DH thinks we should also bring a pack towel to hasten the drying of the clothes we wash.
How do you get the suction cups to stay stuck on to the walls? I've tried washing, rinsing and then alcohol wiping the walls first but they still eventually fall down by morning, and all I have on the line are a few pairs of socks and maybe some underwear.

I carry some S-hooks and a few strong clothes pins if I know that there will be a towel rod or shower rod to hang things over. I also have the small clothes pin rack gizmo but save that for when the trip is longer and traveling with a larger group of people. There are some plastic hook+clip versions that are lighter but the ones in recent years have been quite flimsy.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by tcl
How do you get the suction cups to stay stuck on to the walls? I've tried washing, rinsing and then alcohol wiping the walls first but they still eventually fall down by morning, and all I have on the line are a few pairs of socks and maybe some underwear.

I carry some S-hooks and a few strong clothes pins if I know that there will be a towel rod or shower rod to hang things over. I also have the small clothes pin rack gizmo but save that for when the trip is longer and traveling with a larger group of people. There are some plastic hook+clip versions that are lighter but the ones in recent years have been quite flimsy.

I use the same one that Katja uses from Magellans. It has loops at each end, not hooks - usually I can loop one end over a faucet and the other over something else sturdy like a door knob. It holds an amazing amount of weight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.