Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with friends with no miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with friends with no miles

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by eeeee
I want to thank everyone for their comments - I'm taking all of your advice and going business, maybe first if I can swing it. As it happens, we may all end up on different flights so it's less of a big deal than I originally thought it might be.

As far as the other issue, that I haven't traveled with his group before, I'm not concerned. It's not the "trip of a lifetime", I've had other, fabulous travel experiences that I don't expect this to surpass. (It may, but I don't have such high expectations.). And, if I find the others annoying me, I can see myself ditching them for some solo travel. I was planning to do a 40th birthday trip on my own, as I find myself single these days, until this opportunity arose. Life is always full of surprises, isn't it?
I think you have the right attitude. These are not your life long friends, just like people who will be visiting the same places as you. I would do your own research before you go, have your list of what you want to do, so if other people want to go with you great, if not, then off you go by yourself.

I would have plan "b" for just in case. If you really find you are not compatable with the other people, then do your own thing. This is your birthday trip, so make it what you want and just consider the other people a bonus to your solo travels.

Have fun, and sometimes we are very pleasantly surprised by a trip that starts out with little to no expectations.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:22 am

I am surprised everyone is telling you to upgrade shamelessly. I cannot speak for all men but among me and my male (and female) friends it would be seen as very impolite if one of us traveled in a different class on the same flight, even if that could be explained by age and earnings differences. They would simply not be "part of the group".

If I were in that situation, I wouldn't even consider what you consider and I am one of the more self-centered and comfort loving guys on the block. I would see only two ways to make this work without a clash. Preferably I'd combine both ways.

1. Fly on a different flight. Give whatever reason necessary: scheduling, availability, fear to use Air China, eligibility for mile earning, whatever...

2. Say that you need to use those miles before they expire. If they aren't frequent travelers there is a chance they don't know that most likely your Amex miles won't expire and they will not question this scenario anyway.

In any case, asking for their understanding BEFOREHAND will be necessary. Like: You know, I'd love to be on the same flight with you all and have some fun together but unfortunately it looks like I will have to fly alone on another flight because this one is hard to schedule for me and I need to use my miles before they expire.

Don't even mention the upgrade thing. They'll never know, no harm done.

Flying business or even First on such a long haul while your travel companions slum it out in coach is just not fair. The fact that you don't even need to pay right out for it makes the insult even worse.

Separating from travel companions once you are there because you either have your own agenda or you don't get along is a different story. That will be totally OK if done right. But being on the same aircraft in a different class is a huge faux-pas, IMHO.

Personal anecdote: Age 16 I was once upgraded to business on a Frankfurt-NYC flight due to LH messing up my connection, coming in late, and no other seats being available. Lucky me. My mother was on the same flight and had come in punctually. Coach for her, business for me. I totally loved it but now I have a bad conscience. I would now insist she take my seat.

Till
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tfar
Personal anecdote: Age 16 I was once upgraded to business on a Frankfurt-NYC flight due to LH messing up my connection, coming in late, and no other seats being available. Lucky me. My mother was on the same flight and had come in punctually. Coach for her, business for me. I totally loved it but now I have a bad conscience. I would now insist she take my seat.
Did your mom pay for your ticket? I am assuming at 16 you didn't fund your own transatlantic ticket. If I had been your mom and paid for your ticket I would have marched you back to coach and taken the seat myself.

Also there is a difference between separating on a flight when it is such a great distance involved. I have taken one for the team and sat in coach on short flights with friends, but long haul is complete other story.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:44 pm

Rachel, yes, my mother did pay for the ticket. She is extremely generous. I think the reason why she didn't "grab" my seat was not only her generosity but also that she wanted to smoke. That biz seat was non-smoking. Smoking is more important for her than leg room or food. It is one of the reasons why she hardly comes to see me here in the US. The flight over without smoking is hard for her and the anti-smoking attitude here makes her hate America even more. Sad but true.

Taking one for the group and sitting in coach is very honorable. I could understand it if the OP was much older, say 70 as opposed to 30. But a young woman of 40 should still be able to travel alright in coach with her somewhat younger companions.

Till
Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
But they're not close friends - and if it turns out they're not particularly companionable friends, she might do a few things on her own. This isn't a case of her traveling w/ her best mates. But the I have to use up some miles or work a dif flight due to biz blah, blah line is a good idea & can avoid some of any potential grief.

BTW - if the group is all on the same flight but then scattered all over E, how does that make them part of the same 'group', other than they're all uncomfortable? I'm willing to do a lot for my friends, but if I was going all the way to Asia from the US, flying in E when I had a C or F option isn't happening. However, having said that I certainly wouldn't brag or rub it in their faces. I would try to get them into the airline lounge if at all possible, & if they couldn't then I'd sit in the bar on the concourse w/ them rather than stay in the lounge. And if it was a UA flight, I'd give them free drink chits so if they do have to be back there they don't have to pay for their booze.

Cheers.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:45 am
Original Poster

I used the excuse that I wanted to use miles instead of cash, and no one has had a problem with it. It looks like everyone going to end up on separate flights anyway, for different reasons.

Plus, when I explained that the difference between coach (75K) and first (120K), they realized how smart I am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.