Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Wings Alliance
Reload this Page >

KL/NW/CO... Do you want them in Skyteam?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2003, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

I am a Gold World Perks member and have flown 75,000 miles in the past 12 months with all three airlines. Now I am hearing the rumors that KL has said yes to joining Skyteam.

My question is, do you loyal KL/NW/CO flyers want these airlines to become part of Skyteam or would you prefer another Alliance?

My personnel opinion is; I can not stand Skyteam. I am not a big fan of the airlines in that alliance. In fact I would never fly any of them unless they were the only option. I prefer the other two alliances much more. I would rather see KL join Oneworld more than anything. But I know it is wishful thinking.

What about you guys out there? What do you think of all this. Would you like to see them in Skyteam, Oneworld, Star, or would you like them to take another serious look at Wings?

SR 103
Old Feb 16, 2003, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that either 1world or Skyteam would be best for KLM. For personal reasons I would prefer them in Skyteam and am happy with developments.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 5:25 pm

I prefer KLM/NW/CO stay independent.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 8:59 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I think KLM have some excellent partners already but the partners have not been as integrated as ONEWORD or STAR.

KLM needs to work on better integration with the partners they already have rather than expand to others. I have always been confused as to why Malaysian Airlines were never fully integrated.

Dave
Old Apr 16, 2003, 11:22 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
For a completely different reason than those already discussed, I'd like to see KL/NW/CO join SkyTeam: because DL withdrew from transferring miles to HHonors.

Yes, it's a silly reason for most FFs, but I'm an HHonors hoarder. Of DL/KL/NW and CO, only CO still transfers to HH. It will be nice when DL can earn CO, but it would be nicer to add all the SkyTeam to be able to earn HH via CO.

Just my $0.005 (half a cent). http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Old Apr 17, 2003, 1:31 pm

Location: DC ... NW Plat Elite, Hilton HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Diamond, Avis PS+, happily a _former_ DL PM
A couple notes about SkyTeam:
1) Many DL dlyers have had problems getting AF lounge access when entitled (Elites, travelling on combined DL/AF itineraries, etc.) You can seach the DL forum for gripes.
2) AF does not treat the rest of the alliance members as equals. If you're not AF, you're last on the list for any type of upgrade. As the AF staff love to say [accent]"it is not possible"[/accent]. To bad I understand French when they are talking to an AF customer.
3) Certain SkyTeam members (and not-quite-full-partners) have had a checkered safety history. (Korean, China ... and rumors still persist that they're talking to Aeroflot.)

I'm not sure I'd want SkyTeam in the alliance. What do they bring to the table except perhaps Alitialia's direct service to Italy? AF has a good route network, but they're known for not treating "team members" as equals ... so much for seemless integration. Czech Air has direct service to Prague and a very young Boeing fleet, but KLM goes everywhere they do. I certainly wouldn't fly Korean or Aeroflot given ANY other alternative. Maybe in 5-7 years ... but not now.

So I'd say teaming up with the 4th rate team doesn't buy NW/CO/KLM very much. SkyTeam gets the better end of the stick by linking themsleves to a first-rate alliance, so I see why they would want to do it ...

------------------
----------------------
Leo showed us his new loyalty program so we showed him ours ...
2003 DL spend = $0
2003 NW spend = $21.4k and increasing
Old Apr 17, 2003, 1:46 pm

Location: DC ... NW Plat Elite, Hilton HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Diamond, Avis PS+, happily a _former_ DL PM
Could we pick and choose among DL partners??

I'd take Emirates, Virgin, and a couple others. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Old Apr 17, 2003, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As PE on KLM and PM on DL, I have had mixed feelings about it, Generally I guess it'd be a good thing for me personally. As for what DF wrote, yes AF treats others like crap (I have had more than my full share of it), that being said though, besides one or two very distant and unnoticed articles written about Aeroflot joining Skyteam, and the ad nauseum repetition of them on FT, there is no true evidence that Aeroflot would be joining for a VERY long time. As for China Airlines, that purported partnership was SCRAPPED when they had their last accident and WILL NOT be happening. I personally like KE, and the service I got on them has been second to none, their safety is now top notch and most of their earlier problems applied to Cargo a/c.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.