Wal-Mart picks WestJet

Old Mar 21, 2007, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Wal-Mart picks WestJet

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...f8d41e&k=57801

One up for Air Canada's rival WestJet. The low-cost airline said today it will be Wal-Mart Stores Inc.'s preferred Canadian carrier. That means WestJet provides transportation services to all the giant retailer's business travellers in Canada and crossborder.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AE
So many possible jokes, so little time....
Old Mar 24, 2007, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by LeSabre74
So many possible jokes, so little time....
I doubt they are laughing at Air Canada HQ.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
This connection makes sense. Walmart is known for being "thrifty" even for travel by its top executives. Does anyone know what Walmart flies in the US? Southwest would be a logical choice.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
AA has the walmart account and flies a series of nonstops from XNA as part of their corporate contract.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I could see this partnership as a match, but would be unclear if there would be any value to the "crossborder" portion. Seems to me that Walmart is not the kind of brand that would send its employees to a corporate retreat in Hawaii, and it is doubtful that XNA is Westjet's next transborder destination, considering Westjet only serves a handful of US destinations at the moment.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by autobrakes
I doubt they are laughing at Air Canada HQ.
Given Wal-marts "thriftiness" they probably are. The two "W's" deserve each other.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:02 pm

Given Wal-marts "thriftiness" they probably are. The two "W's" deserve each other.
Indeed, WJ does deserve Walmarts business.

I'm sure that AC, with it's LCC pricing and legacy cost stucture, are thrilled to see corporate customers abandoning them.

I expect Wamart won't be the last to make the move.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:34 pm

AC is heavily pushing its flight pass products onto its corporate customers.. some, as evidenced by our growing corporate accounts, don't want to dance.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Hypnotize
AC is heavily pushing its flight pass products onto its corporate customers.. some, as evidenced by our growing corporate accounts, don't want to dance.
Here's an interesting background piece which shows the changing nature of corporate buying and how the Walmart decision plays into it. Walmart wasn't your average large corporate account. They have a philosophy about how travel should be booked and distributed that favors the status quo, but isn't necessarily shared by others. For Walmart, the end fare is the sole determining factor, while for some others, the type of product and the transaction fees are more important because they "buy up". It seems as if Walmart is the perfect customer for Westjet while others would find AC - with the ability to buy in bulk with minimal transaction fee cost - to be superior.

http://www.travelweekly.com/articles...rticleid=55556
Old Mar 28, 2007, 5:55 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
What forum is this?????

Is this Sebring vs Hypnotize or Dagger vs CanadaEh !!!
Old Mar 29, 2007, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YEG Guy
What forum is this?????

Is this Sebring vs Hypnotize or Dagger vs CanadaEh !!!
No, its the forum for Westjet employees trying to deny they're the trailer park crowd's carrier of choice.
Old Mar 29, 2007, 5:39 pm

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
No, its the forum for Westjet employees trying to deny they're the trailer park crowd's carrier of choice.
A truly helpful contribution to the discussion at hand....

I see no problem with both airlines in Canada earning corporate business. It helps to keep them both healthy and the rest of us with choice and competition. I fail to understand why people wish ill to either airline?
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:59 pm

Not too shabby...Good for WS ^
Old Apr 3, 2007, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: AA,ACSE,BA,NW.Priority club,Starwood
Originally Posted by Hypnotize
That's BS...AC is pushing passes but not forcing the issue with corp clients who get discounts in various ways. Westjet is simply lowering their prices even further to get some of this business because they have more planes to fill. Lets see the results this year b/f crowing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.