Community
Wiki Posts
Search

employment at westjet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:02 pm

I'm a full time FA and have been so for the 10 of the 10 1/2 years I've been at WS. Part timers are getting around 50 or so hours a month, with opportunity to pick up more hours via an online schedule trading website. And yes, you do get all benefits you asked about, on a flex plan with Green Shield.

Last edited by YYCguy; Jul 18, 2012 at 7:35 am Reason: Green Shield replacing Sunlife as insurance provider later this year.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:09 am

Hello, just wondering if the training is paid for FA?
Do you get any paid vacation or nope because you already have so much days off?
And usually how long after a group interview do you get a response?

Thanks
Old Aug 22, 2012, 8:29 am

Hi

You can find this info by using search box in the top of website with some keywords related before posting questions.

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: Boeing interview questions

Best regards.

Last edited by tra072011; Aug 31, 2012 at 7:12 pm
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:47 am

Im curious, Westjet pays minimum 80 block hours, Can a current westjet FA please clarify how this works? 80 hours is 2 weeks worth of work in my books not a whole month, I am looking at this career opportunity but not if im only getting paid for 80 hours of work.

are block hours double? (1 Block hour - 2 ground hours?)
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by wafna17
Im curious, Westjet pays minimum 80 block hours, Can a current westjet FA please clarify how this works? 80 hours is 2 weeks worth of work in my books not a whole month, I am looking at this career opportunity but not if im only getting paid for 80 hours of work.

I'm not sure how Westjet does it, but many airlines only start paying their flight attendants when the airplane starts moving and stops paying when it gets to the gate at the end of the flight. 80 hours makes it appear to be only 2 weeks work. It doesn't take into consideration the ground time before and between flights. It also doesn't allow for layover time or time spent during recurrent training.

For instance a flight attendant could work 4 one hour flights with an hour in between each flight. That's an 8 hour day but only getting paid for 4 hours. If his/her schedule was made up of short flights like this they would be working 20 days in the month to make up 80 hours.

On the other hand a flight attendant could do 2 four hour flights in one day. That would be 8 hours pay in that particular day (even though he/she has probably been at work for 10-12 hours). If his/her schedule was entirely made up of flights like this (unlikely) they would only work 10 days in the month.

I suspect most flight attendants have a combination of flying in their monthly schedule and would probably work close to 15-20 days. Just a guess though.

Last edited by DoctorDoug; Sep 8, 2014 at 8:09 pm
Old Sep 8, 2014, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
OT: AY also hiring

This could be useful for some people (source: KA Secrets)
Cabin crew posting
Old Sep 8, 2014, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by wafna17

You are correct. 80 hours/month = 160 "ground" hours/month. You are also paid accordingly; 1 block hour = 2 "ground hours".

My wife is an FA and she works somewhere between 9-16 days per month, depending on her schedule.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:10 am

It's more complicated then that, Flight crew are only paid for flight time, time the aircraft door is closed till it's open again. that's a "block" or "credit" hour. Time spent between flights, or time spent at work at the beginning of the day prior to first flight (generally an hour) are not paid.

There are also some other quarks that are airline dependant. Most airlines will pay a minimum daily credit, usealy 4 or 4.5 hours. Generally as well there will be some kind of duty ratio, so at my airline(not Westjet) we're guaranteed 50%of our duty day, so if we're on duty for 12 hours we'll get a minimum of 6 hours pay regardless of the amount of flying.

It's complex, every month I get a 5 page summary of my pay with every flight broken down to the min. With the pay for that leg.

Feel free to PM me, I can elaborate if needed.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by AC681
Flight crew are only paid for flight time, time the aircraft door is closed till it's open again. that's a "block" or "credit" hour.
I believe pay is calculated from brakes off to brakes on. Brake release is connected to the ACARS which sends the OOOI times.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
I believe pay is calculated from brakes off to brakes on. Brake release is connected to the ACARS which sends the OOOI times.
Doors closed/open.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:48 pm

Salary of Load Plan Agents and Dispatchers

Originally Posted by Hypnotize
Our Load Plan agents deal with W&B; Dispatchers are responsible for Flight Plans; Ops Coordinators are responsible for tail swaps, delays, diversions, etc.; Maintenance Control is for mechanical issues; and Crew Sked deals with crew planning.

TAC is our name for ground handlers.
Hello Hypnotize,

I'm just curious about how much does a Load Plan Agent and a Dispatcher make at Westjet ? Are they all based in YYC?

Thank you in advance!
Globalista
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:52 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Hypnotize
Doors closed/open.
Pay for WS cabin crew is breaks off to breaks on... It is not doors closed/open, as per our previous FAMOA and the current Cabin Crew Agreement.

Last edited by Fisch; Jul 29, 2015 at 2:11 am
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:17 pm

Hey Everyone!
I recently applied for Westjet's GSA - I had a phone interview, and in person interview. Today I got an email saying I was successful in being pooled for the next training class.

I was wondering if anyone has experience dealing with this process - I'm assuming GSA don't have group interviews like FA?
I was told in my interview to make sure I have references ready so if they contact me I can give them, and then they will put me in the next training class. That hasn't happened but I assume it could any day then?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 3:45 pm

deleted
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:42 pm

Hello !
i am a new member in frequent flyer forum and this is the first time i post here
i would like to share you my anxiety , i have received an email from west jet inviting me to a recruitment group event for guest service ambassador and from this moment i became very worried not to pass the interview i really need your help may be someone here had already passed this event he or she could tell us about the group event and what kind of activities in this event ..... thank you in advance and waiting for your reply

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.