Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet to purchase Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners

WestJet to purchase Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners

Old May 22, 2017, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Remember when they came out with their "westjet Careantee" that stated they would never charge for bags. Then about 6 months later....

Just sayin
I do remember that and past policy reversals is what made me ask the question as this impending large scale international expansion will take WJ to a new level so wondered whether they would find it impossible to resist overbooking in a few years.

Yes, they are now running ads about how they don't overbook and so don't "bump" passengers but in 3 years will that still be company policy?
Old May 23, 2017, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by PhotoJim
WestJet could fly to SYD from YYC - a stop in HNL would make it possible. It wasn't that many years ago that AC still stopped in HNL on its SYD flights.

I'm not sure what the fifth freedom rights are about revenue passengers from SYD-HNL (not sure I have the right freedom there), but if that's possible, this could make a lot of sense for WestJet.
I can't remember AC ever flying to SYD via HNL. I think you are talking about CP. Also, that was very 1980ish, before aircraft had range. Newer long range aircraft opened many new routes, like YYZ to HKG. Going back in time would not work.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
I can't remember AC ever flying to SYD via HNL. I think you are talking about CP. Also, that was very 1980ish, before aircraft had range. Newer long range aircraft opened many new routes, like YYZ to HKG. Going back in time would not work.
No, I flew AC in 2006 YVR-SYD via HNL and it was exactly as previous poster described with the middle of the night arrival into HNL which wasn't fun. Non-stop AC 777 service wasn't introduced until '07 as noted in this thread.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:52 am

It was originally a CP route, but AC took it over post-1999 merger. I flew it in summer 2000 and the 2am stopover in HNL was awful.
Old May 24, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
AC flew SYD via HNL for many years prior to getting the 777s. I flew it several times in the period from 2003 - 2007 on AC 763s.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Based on the WS staff I talked to it looks like it will be lie flats and they are all super hyped for it. Really hoping it's YYC-Asia to compete with the AC NRT service... But who knows what will happen in two years
Old May 26, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SKYEG
\Really hoping it's YYC-Asia to compete with the AC NRT service...
I would expect it to all be out of YYZ. WS doesn't seem to care that much about the rest of Canada.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: AC 35k
I imagine the 789s will run out of YVR, YYC and YYZ with some "trans-continental" service the way AC does and WS does now with their 767s between YYZ and YYC in winter. I expect you will see a lot of them going to Europe in summer out of YYZ and I expect at least one Asian route out of YYC because YVR is pretty saturated (and Saretsky hinted at this already). Winter I'd expect high traffic sun routes (expanded service to HNL or OGG and Carribean in east).
Old May 26, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by The Lev
Not sure how Cage can arrive at any conclusion about there being no increase in capital requirements.
The no increase in capital requirements came from WestJet (Saretsky and Walker - WS Controller) as mentioned multiple times on the q1-2017 conference call.

Yeah I thought it was a little strange as well.

On further reflection the no increase in capital requirements could be a signal that WS will finance some of the purchase through sale an lease back of 5 aircraft. Pre adjustment to Lease Accounting rules (which don't take affect until 2019), WS plan could involve operating leases to keep their debt to equity ratio below 2.5:1, this is a self imposed limit on the amount of borrowing. In 2019 there will be an accounting change to force all companies to account for leases as finance transactions. But as WS has not early adopted the new standard, they must utilize the existing accounting treatment.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K | Latitude Flight Pass junkie
Originally Posted by aerobod
The WestJet brand alone is worth about $1 billion, why would it make sense to throw that away and pay to build a new brand, instead of adding value to the existing one? The current league is working quite well, why shift to a different one?
The current league is not the new league. The staff, visual identity and brand all need a refresh. Westjet? For an international airline? The name doesn't really go over well anywhere east in Canada let alone in non-"West" countries in the world.
Old May 30, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by YVR72
The current league is not the new league. The staff, visual identity and brand all need a refresh. Westjet? For an international airline? The name doesn't really go over well anywhere east in Canada let alone in non-"West" countries in the world.
We did have North West Airlines for a long time. Sothwest Airlines looks to be doing OK in the US. Not certain changing the name is a needed.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Northwest Airlines went from the more worldly Northwest Orient Airlines to just Northwest Airlines.
Old May 31, 2017, 5:36 am
Original Poster
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Don't see the need to update branding at all. At most they are going to become a slightly fancier version of Norwegian, and they seem to have no problem operating flights that go no where near Norway.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by briantoronto
Don't see the need to update branding at all. At most they are going to become a slightly fancier version of Norwegian, and they seem to have no problem operating flights that go no where near Norway.
Alaska is another example of an airport that has it is major hubs in Seattle followed by LAX. Some to be a major California to New York operator when Virgin gets rebranded.

I think WestJet is fine.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: Several
Looks like China.

http://vancouversun.com/business/loc...or-new-service

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.