Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet to purchase Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet to purchase Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by tcook052
i attended a wj event in yeg tonight and heard "lie flat" seats for the new aircraft several times.
music to ma ears tcook :d:d:d:d
Old May 5, 2017, 8:48 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Although having 787 is yuge disappointment, would much rather fly in A350 for wider seats.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
I really want to see YYC-SYD happen. There is enough traffic for it on both ends, especially with WestJet hub feed.
YYC-SYD would likely outside the permissible range for the config the WestJet 789 will be in (higher seat count than AC guaranteed) plus Qantas can't even make SYD-YVR, a more desirable destination for Australians, work year round and they are a known airline.

Rather than launching 16hr ULH flights off the bat eating up 20% of their widebody fleet, I think WS will instead stick to flight lengths like YYZ/YYC-DUB/CDG/FCO/ATH/VCE and keep charging for food in Y.
Old May 6, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
YYC-SYD would likely outside the permissible range for the config the WestJet 789 will be in (higher seat count than AC guaranteed) plus Qantas can't even make SYD-YVR, a more desirable destination for Australians, work year round and they are a known airline.

Rather than launching 16hr ULH flights off the bat eating up 20% of their widebody fleet, I think WS will instead stick to flight lengths like YYZ/YYC-DUB/CDG/FCO/ATH/VCE and keep charging for food in Y.
Qantas hasn't had an aircraft capable of flying the lengths as well as not be too much capacity. 747 is too much capacity. But he 787 is just right.

They have only just started announcing their 787 destinations as they get delivered.
Old May 6, 2017, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by newcdn
This from Cage on another forum (he is a member here too... "There appears to be no increase in capital requirements for purchasing 10 789s vs 15 737max.")
Not sure how Cage can arrive at any conclusion about there being no increase in capital requirements.

Originally Posted by aerobod
Really all all came down to the A330-900 vs 787-9, with the 787-9 having the edge in range, the A330-900neo a slight (perhaps debatable) edge in CASM.
Most of what I've seen says that the 787-9 has lower operating CASM (but higher capital cost which might offset the operating savings).
Old May 6, 2017, 6:40 pm

The price of fuel and inclusion of aircraft capital cost as either a lease payment or amortized capital attribution to give the total CASM, will typically give the following order from highest to lowest CASM when oil is below US$100 per barrel: 787-8, 330-800neo, 787-9, 330-900neo. Oil over US$100 will typically favour the 787 for lowest CASM.
Old May 7, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
The 787 is highly favored by passengers, too. While the a330 is a capable aircraft the branding around "Dreamliners" certainly made an impact. It no doubt helped Norwegian's expansion.
Old May 7, 2017, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by keitherson
The 787 is highly favored by passengers, too. While the a330 is a capable aircraft the branding around "Dreamliners" certainly made an impact. It no doubt helped Norwegian's expansion.
I do find the higher humidity / higher cabin air pressure to make a difference on 787's. On the other hand seat width favours the 330 (unless you are Transat cramming nine abreast in that plane).
Old May 7, 2017, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
On the other hand seat width favours the 330 (unless you are Transat cramming nine abreast in that plane).
Which WS would no doubt have done if they went the 330 route.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Originally Posted by tracon
Which WS would no doubt have done if they went the 330 route.
Not really

They have 2-3-2 in the 767s
Old May 8, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by The Lev
If you are all one fleet type then absolutely yes, but I can't think of any off hand when gonig from narrow to wide body.
  • No parts commonality
  • Different cockpits, so different pilot training

Plenty of airlines have narrowbody with one and widebody with the other.
You're forgetting about FLS and LSAP. Since WS is getting the the 737Max, there are some savings to be had by having some commonality for back-end systems and some common maintenance practices, processes, procedures, etc.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:11 pm
Original Poster
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Interesting re-hire

So WS has re-hired Rossen Dimitrov back from Qatar as as Chief Guest Experience Officer.

WS is touting in the PR his experience in launching Qatar's Q-Suite business class product. I doubt they'd be touting that if all they were planning with the new 789s was some kind of Y+ seating up front.

Thoughts?
Old May 10, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
If prices are cheaper,they have a YYC-Asia route and lie flat(QR the dream), I'll be booking with WS FOR SURE. Most likely the inaugural!
Old May 15, 2017, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
From a service and quality perspective, Air Canada is very vulnerable right now. Too bad these aircraft can't start arriving sooner. Air Canada views itself as an monopoly, behaves like a monopoly, and the opportunity is there to roll out a superior Y and J product, much better ground and inflight service, and formally join Skyteam to integrate with a global network against AC and *A and provide a realistic alternative.

Not sure how Canada hands out route authorities vs the USA, but if Westjet flew YYZ-GTW, YYZ-HKG, YYC-HKG, YYZ-NRT, YYC-GTW to name a few, that would put a major dent in AC revenues.

Norwegian is not Westjet (or Air Canada's) problem - they are Air Transat's problem. Westjet needs to become Air Canada's much, much bigger problem.
Old May 15, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I have to think there is some sort of incentive to keeping the seat-count down at least in the short-run. A lie-flat cabin would accomplish that while still allowing them to provide a horrendous economy seat. They're jumping into a much larger plane and reporting that those fifty or sixty additional seats are empty probably wouldn't be well received after that type of capex.

I'm finding myself more and more ambivalent about lie-flat suites or whatever they're branded. I honestly recall having been more comfortable and sleeping better in big-old business class seats in the 90's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.