Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
AC fired me as a (SE) customer when they Rouged me with no compensation. I would hate to get "Tealed".

Separate carrier, separate routes and PLENTY of warning if a route switches from Mainline to the ULCC so I can buy a ticket on another airline.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan AA
Let me add my voice to those above...especially FlyerJ's excellent letter (which I could have written myself).
Having been rouged when it was first launched, I considered it a bait-and-switch, and haven't flow AC since.
By all means, develop a ULCC and go after that market...but don't repeat Air Canada's mistakes when doing so.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:04 pm

It's been mentioned above several times already, but this has to be because of Jetlines (and possible FlyToo, though they seem to be on shakier ground than Jetlines). Question is, is WS really that worried about these startups to go to this extreme?

Jetlines has put out a press release regarding the ULCC as well: link
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:46 pm

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
ULCC? The start-up of WestJet Lite is an acknowledgement that even with their current "model" and cost structure, certain routes are not providing adequate return. The usual cast of characters: Florida, Hawaii, Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, etc.
So I don't understand why any airline would keep doing business on routes that don't make money. In any other business model that'd just not happen, even for strategic reasons.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: AC SE, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
WS is already no frills. Compare the on board service to AC and there is just no comparison.
WS gives you 'sweet or salty' in the back.. AC does not!

Ron.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Sweet or salty = 25 cents AC offers hot meals, drinkable beer and wine for a cost but they offer these higher end amenities.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Speedbird84
It's been mentioned above several times already, but this has to be because of Jetlines (and possible FlyToo, though they seem to be on shakier ground than Jetlines). Question is, is WS really that worried about these startups to go to this extreme?

Jetlines has put out a press release regarding the ULCC as well: link
I wonder if this an attempt by WestJet to screw up the ability of other startups to get financing. It is one thing to ask investors to investing in a new airline that has a new business model it is another thing to ask for inventors to invest in a new business model that a copy of one of the incumbents.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I wonder if this an attempt by WestJet to screw up the ability of other startups to get financing. It is one thing to ask investors to investing in a new airline that has a new business model it is another thing to ask for inventors to invest in a new business model that a copy of one of the incumbents.
Excellent point!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Dear WestJet,

About that new ULCC.

Please, oh please, do not follow the path of Rouge...

Regards,
FlyerJ
That's the best post I've read on FT in some time. Thank you for it. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
WS is already no frills. Compare the on board service to AC and there is just no comparison.
I agree completely - there is no comparison at all. Westjet gate and cabin crew are inevitably efficient, professional, and friendly. Their aircraft are kept clean, and everything works - even the water in the lav! And unlike AC's staff, not once has a Westjet agent told me something that wasn't true, or treated me like anything less than a valued customer. You're absolutely right, there's no comparison at all. That's a major reason why I moved my travel spend from AC to Westjet in the first place.

Originally Posted by J. Leslie
Let me add my voice to those above...especially FlyerJ's excellent letter (which I could have written myself).
Having been rouged when it was first launched, I considered it a bait-and-switch, and haven't flow AC since.
By all means, develop a ULCC and go after that market...but don't repeat Air Canada's mistakes when doing so.
Again, I couldn't agree more. There is room in Canada for a great mainline airline, and there is room for a well-run ULCC. But I would not be happy to see the ULCC replace the mainline service.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
I will add my voice to FlyerJ's excellent letter.

I get a very bad feeling about this. I flew exactly one Rouge flight. Never again. Between that and all the other crap inflicted on me by AC I have shifted much of my travel to WS. Now this!

As for regulation, in general more regulation of free enterprise goes against my principles, but the airline industry has done it to themselves. We have reached the enough is enough stage, and if this is the way it's going to be we desperately need some sort of regulatory control to bring down the abuse. As a minimum we need regulation of overbooking, treatment of pax during and after delays and IRROPS, and minimum seat/pitch dimensions.

Sorry, Gregg, but I am not happy about this, lower fares or not!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cgyroof
How about WestJet Bleu?

How's is WestJet's new ULCC?
Answer... well they bleu it!
AC had rouge so perhaps WestJet could do Rot.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I don't really get the point of this.

It makes much more sense to me as I read somewhere else to just unbundle fares if you really wanna do this.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by cur
-

why government needs to protect consumers from themselves beats me. the rules against bait and switch and deceptive marketing are already there. there are enough rules in canada and things are expensive enough.

i have a sense canada will never have an ulcc because people feel like they're getting nickle and dimed for ancillary services like checked bags, beverages, and airport printed boarding passes on a $70 roundtrip (+$80 in taxes) yycyvr
Are you saying Canadian's have entitlement issues?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by BSBtraveller
So I don't understand why any airline would keep doing business on routes that don't make money. In any other business model that'd just not happen, even for strategic reasons.
I would think AC agrees with you. That's why they started Rouge for these leisure routes. I also think Westjet is finding themselves in the same position. Plus, with the pilots pushing for a union again, Westjet see their cost increasing in the future.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: No
Originally Posted by cur
unless you're at yyc international, use a water fountain.

Last edited by rataplan; Apr 21, 2017 at 9:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.