Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet to launch ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E35k, HHonors Silver
Westjet plans to open ULCC

https://blog.westjet.com/westjet-ann...-cost-carrier/

Hopefully a true ULCC rather than a faux one like Rouge. (Low cost to us: Same cost to you!)
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: AC 35k
And let's hope they don't "rouge" existing routes so the ULCC is the only option on a given route. They probably will though.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
This is extremely interesting in two different ways. Obviously, it would be great to see Canada have a true ULCC with regularly scheduled service (as opposed to a charter operation) and with "low cost" actually extending to the consumer, not just the operator as AtlanticXpat noted.

But beyond that, could having a ULCC subsidiary (?) open the door to Westjet mainline joining an alliance and further developing its value prop for business travel? If Westjet were part of Skyteam, my annual spend with them could more than double.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
And let's hope they don't "rouge" existing routes so the ULCC is the only option on a given route. They probably will though.
Or when they (inevitably) do there is some form of compensation for passengers who paid a non-ULLC fare.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
ULCC, works ok in Europe, in Canada not so sure...lack of population density and spread out over long distances!!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
https://blog.westjet.com/westjet-ann...-cost-carrier/

Hopefully a true ULCC rather than a faux one like Rouge. (Low cost to us: Same cost to you!)
I dont think Rouge is an ULCC, was never intended to be, it more an economy vacation carrier branch of AC mainline
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
ULCC? C'mon. Until taxation and user fees are greatly relaxed, ain't going to happen. The start-up of WestJet Lite is an acknowledgement that even with their current "model" and cost structure, certain routes are not providing adequate return. The usual cast of characters: Florida, Hawaii, Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, etc.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
This is a very very weird, sparse press release. I can only think that there is something going on behind the scenes with a competitor, and they put this release out to scare them off. It is very unlike WS to put out a vague, pointless press release like this. This has to be a scare tactic.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
ULCC? C'mon. Until taxation and user fees are greatly relaxed, ain't going to happen. The start-up of WestJet Lite is an acknowledgement that even with their current "model" and cost structure, certain routes are not providing adequate return. The usual cast of characters: Florida, Hawaii, Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, etc.
Right. ULCC = WestJet Rouge.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
This is a very very weird, sparse press release. I can only think that there is something going on behind the scenes with a competitor, and they put this release out to scare them off. It is very unlike WS to put out a vague, pointless press release like this. This has to be a scare tactic.
Canada Jetlines? There's a few ULCC carriers forming. And remember what WestJet did to NewLeaf.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I thought they would've focused more on expanding their long-haul routes rather than fighting with LCC's.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by tcook052
I thought they would've focused more on expanding their long-haul routes rather than fighting with LCC's.
My impression is that the WS ULCC is nothing more than a way to fend off the threat from other ULCCs. Right now WS has to provide the full range of service on routes competing with NewLeaf at dramatically discounted prices. This way they can provide ultra-basic everything while they fight NewLeaf and other ULCCs to the death, while not compromising their main product.

It'll literally be a small fleet of 737s aimed directly at whatever challenger happens to pop up. I wonder what the Competition Bureau will have to say about this?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Right. ULCC = WestJet Rouge.
How about WestJet Bleu?

How's is WestJet's new ULCC?
Answer... well they bleu it!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by cgyroof
How about WestJet Bleu?
How's is WestJet's new ULCC?
Answer... well they bleu it!
I like it!

What I don't understand is the rational.
The press releases say this will be done with -800s.
Max seating on an -800 is 189.
The modifications that WS is doing now will put seating at 174.
Factor 6 empty middle seats for Plus. = 180 seats.
Squish the seats behind Plus, modify/move a washroom and a galley, add another 1.5 rows and you have 189 seats.

Unless this opportunity to Bleu it is about union busting.@:-)
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
So I suppose this monstrosity is going to be called Sarcelle?

I'm going to be pretty frustrated if we end up like Europe where some routes are entirely relegated to horrendous ULCC style service.

I am an extremely low-maintenance passenger, I merely ask not to be in physical pain.
ptownca likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.