Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WS adding seats to existing fleet.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
My beef (& its a bit of a tongue in cheek one) is that on YYT-LGW, If you're lucky enough to get a whole plus row to yourself, what you want to do is removed the table strapped into the blocked seats so you can put the armrests down and lie out across all three. Not sure how this would go down with the FA's!

Agree with that. Thread drifting a bit - there is a conundrum that airlines and inflight connectivity providers are conveniently ignoring. Fitting Satellite Wifi is all well and good but when the seat pitch changes to cram more in, it becomes a bit pointless if there is no room to get your laptop out and actually work. Or connectivity becomes a tablet/phone thing only and thats much less productive for the business traveller thus restricting potential uptake rate.
That would make for an interesting business analysis. Does the airline make more money from Wi-Fi revenue with a less dense aircraft or from fitting more seats in.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by AtlanticXpat
My beef (& its a bit of a tongue in cheek one) is that on YYT-LGW, If you're lucky enough to get a whole plus row to yourself, what you want to do is removed the table strapped into the blocked seats so you can put the armrests down and lie out across all three. Not sure how this would go down with the FA's!
The guy behind me on a recent JFK-YYC flight did try to remove it, and indeed he was stopped.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 11:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by aerobod
The current standard seat program was approved and planned 3 years ago. Recaro and the leather suppliers require a minimum of a year to produce the seats. A decision to put 2x2 seats in would have to be incorporated into the fleet planning schedule for summer 2018 if the decision was made now.
I am sure there are plenty of standard J seats on the market that don't have to be fancy and electrified other than USB or AC.

The seats there now are rubbish and have no features so replacing them with standard used J seats would be easy.

Since WS just added 20%+ with the "flexible" Plus they need to include something to justify the cost because they are pricing themselves out of some markets.

I am not flying refundable Plus on WS any more to SJO, for example. I can fly with better seats, food and service on Copa for a small amount, e.g. <$200 more.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by Azamaraal
"EastJet" hasn't changed a bit. Still an overpriced and undervalue version of AC - without the loyalty program, extensive route map and interesting foreign destinations. Could never justify flying WS unless the fare is insanely low and for flights < 2 hours.
If you fly domestically much - WS uses proper 737s on a lot of western routes that AC puts on Q400s and CRAs. I'll actually pay a little more to get off a Q400 and onto a 737 especially if it means I'm flying over the Rockies.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
If you fly domestically much - WS uses proper 737s on a lot of western routes that AC puts on Q400s and CRAs. I'll actually pay a little more to get off a Q400 and onto a 737 especially if it means I'm flying over the Rockies.
This is the same for me
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
With the new seat configuration . . .

Does anyone know what will be the new exit row configuration on the 737-8?

Today, rows 13 and 14 are extra legroom rows on the 738s ... with row 13 being deemed less desirable since the seats don't recline. Here's the official (current) image from WestJet's website:

Will there still be two full rows of extra legroom in the new layout?

(I think row 13 is the best deal going. I don't recline my seat, but I'm tall and want extra legroom!)
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:48 am

The New seat map is available if you make a dummy booking for one of the flights scheduled to be operated by 7M8 equipment type. Doesn't look too much different at a glance.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
If I recall, we have a thread on here where Aerobod tells us which seats have 32" pitch. If I remember, it was like row 4-10 on the starboard side, and row 4-6 on the port side.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: WestJet Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
If I recall, we have a thread on here where Aerobod tells us which seats have 32" pitch. If I remember, it was like row 4-10 on the starboard side, and row 4-6 on the port side.

Row 1: 43 in
Row 2-3: 36 in
Row 4-12 & 15-29: 31-33 in
EE Row 13: 38 in
EE Row 14: 39 in
Old Jul 28, 2017, 4:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by WJter
Row 4-12 & 15-29: 31-33 in
I think he was hoping for a more detailed breakdown here. An extra inch or two of legroom makes a huge difference for taller folks.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by smallmj
I think he was hoping for a more detailed breakdown here. An extra inch or two of legroom makes a huge difference for taller folks.
There is certainly more detail in this WS forum somewhere. Aerobod shared it. I just cant find it.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:38 am

Aerobod had provided great info about the 737-700 in posts 6 and 22 'upstream' at the beginning of this same topic/thread... here's the link to his post # 6 on the first page:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28078212-post6.html

I was hoping to find similarly detailed info on the 737-800 ... but can't find it here.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by smallmj
Solution pay a bit more for an exit or somewhat more for Plus, especially row 1 which is what I do.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Solution pay a bit more for an exit or somewhat more for Plus, especially row 1 which is what I do.
Thanks for the solution. Yes, I get that. And I do that. (Except that personally I don't like Row 1 due to the lack of underseat storage and - for me - less room for my feet.)

The reasons that I asked the question:

Westjet is changing their seating configuration on their aircraft ... the whole topic of this thread. That means exit row configuration is likely changing, too.

If I'm already booked in an exit row seat on multiple upcoming flights on the 800 (which I am, in row 13 to be exact), I want to ensure that the new configuration (a) still has row 13 as an exit row and (b) does not become one of those 'exit rows where you don't actually get a lot of legroom'. If I show up for my upcoming flights and find that I'm on a reconfigured plane - and that my seat in row 13 has been reconfigured to something other than what I expect - I want to know that now so I can change.

And, FWIW, I'd like to know what's happening to seat pitch throughout the aircraft. When I fly with my family, I'm freakishly tall but - due to age restrictions - they can't sit with me in the exit row. And booking Plus for the whole family is not always do-able.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
I am in the same position, having booked "undesirable" row 13 seats on a 800 plane, and hope they still have the typical exit row legroom.
Can anyone confirm?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.