Westjet vs Air Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Westjet vs Air Canada

Hello,
I'll be flying in the summer between SFO and YYC and have 2 non-stop options:
Air Canada and Westjet.

I flew AC many times and am happy with it, but the WS one has more convenient hours.

I've never flew (or heard) of WS - is it a good airline? (I'll be flying with my wife and a small baby)
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:03 pm

Friendlier than AC and not all that different.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Perfect. Thanks

That's good to know. Thanks
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
A lot of my friends prefer WJ because they claim they are friendlier, but when i flew I didn't notice any difference. Maybe check if the flight offers the same features (inflight entertainment)
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

I care less about inflight entertainment. From what I've seen they have a little bit less legroom (31-33" vs 34"). It is just a 2.5 hours flight, so I was wondering more if they are reliable, usually on-time, good and clean planes etc.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
There's no real difference between the two. Since you aren't familiar with it, Westjet is a well established Canadian airline which is just as reliable as AC. I wouldn't hesitate to take Westjet if they have a better schedule for your needs.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:18 pm

There is very little difference between the two in the end. Westjet is very reliable. I don't think there's much if any difference in legroom between AC aircraft and Westjet aircraft. I pick my flights by schedule when I a have a choice between the two.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
With WestJet, you'll be on a 737 with 3x3 seating.

With Air Canada, you'll be on a CRJ with 2x2 seating.

On WestJet, if you book an aisle and window, you might end up with an empty middle seat for baby if you're lucky.

But then again, on Air Canada, the 2x2 seating guarantees that you won't be sitting with a stranger.

Note that you'll be paying for seat selection (even basic seats) on the lowest fares on both airlines ... Canada's airlines beat their U.S. counterparts on the "basic economy" idea.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:21 pm

you are right, they seem to copy each other's bad ideas..i remember they started charging for luggage around the same time, so they both make sure the service is equal (good or bad)
Old Jan 21, 2017, 6:11 am

They are very similar. I think that the CRJ-705 is the only aircraft left in the AC fleet with 34" pitch in economy. 31" is the new standard there. Westjet is perfectly adequate, as is AC. Choose based on schedule or price, whichever is more important to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.