Wiki Posts
Search

WS Loses bags and then.....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
WS Loses bags and then.....

My sister who flew WS from YUL to YYZ to Huatulco on Sunday arrived in the sun while her bags stayed in YYZ. There was 45 minutes between flights the inbound to YYZ was running 30 minutes late. She and her husband filed missing bag reports with the local contract rep, and were assured they would be on the sent the next day to their hotel. It's going onto Day 4, two arrived Tuesday, one is still out standing.

She texted me upset last night and said she was frustrated with dealing with WS and they were offering nothing in the way of spending money for incidentals, though 200$ good will was mentioned. I called as a gold on the new gold line, and was able to find out the bags were handed over to AM in YYZ, information she was unaware of, and they actually had 300us for incidentals, something else she was not told. I was advised the last missing bag was in MEX and would be delivered today (wed), it was not. As of tonight it is still in the possession of AM, Westjet thinks, but does not know for sure. Nor do they have any idea when AM will forward it to HUA. They have e-mailed AM to see what the problem is. At this rate they will pass their bag on their way home on Sunday. Westjet says they will not discuss compensation until they get home, but told me they could "apply" to have the checked fee refunded.

I don't know how Menzes the ground handler in Toronto deals with int connecting bags or how they prioritise. I am surprised WS was unable to provide the passengers information for four days, or offer the funds for incidental coverage as per the tariff. My opinion is WS could have handled this better, granted their guests were upset but a bit of information goes a long way even admitting there is a lack of information would have been a starting point.

Last edited by yul36; Jan 4, 2017 at 11:32 pm Reason: wrong Icao code
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
All of this is a good reminder to make sure to carry on a change or two of clothing.

Four days missing is quite frustrating, though. Clothes shopping is not how I'd want to spend my vacation in Mexico. That said, I'm pretty sure WS would reimburse reasonable expenses for a few change of clothing and personal articles.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yul36
My sister who flew WS from YUL to YYZ to Huatulco on Sunday arrived in the sun while her bags stayed in YYZ. There was 45 minutes between flights the inbound to YYZ was running 30 minutes late. She and her husband filed missing bag reports with the local contract rep, and were assured they would be on the sent the next day to their hotel. It's going onto Day 4, two arrived Tuesday, one is still out standing.

She texted me upset last night and said she was frustrated with dealing with WS and they were offering nothing in the way of spending money for incidentals, though 200$ good will was mentioned. I called as a gold on the new gold line, and was able to find out the bags were handed over to AM in YYZ, information she was unaware of, and they actually had 300us for incidentals, something else she was not told. I was advised the last missing bag was in MEX and would be delivered today (wed), it was not. As of tonight it is still in the possession of AM, Westjet thinks, but does not know for sure. Nor do they have any idea when AM will forward it to HUA. They have e-mailed AM to see what the problem is. At this rate they will pass their bag on their way home on Sunday. Westjet says they will not discuss compensation until they get home, but told me they could "apply" to have the checked fee refunded.

I don't know how Menzes the ground handler in Toronto deals with int connecting bags or how they prioritise. I am surprised WS was unable to provide the passengers information for four days, or offer the funds for incidental coverage as per the tariff. My opinion is WS could have handled this better, granted their guests were upset but a bit of information goes a long way even admitting there is a lack of information would have been a starting point.
Bumping back.....My sister is back in YUL, her bag is not. After changing their stories a bunch of times the WS rep finally admitted they have no idea where it is. She was told they think it was once in MEX, but MEX is a "blackhole for them" that there is no way to know for sure. They say she now has to wait 21 days and if it is still missing file a lost or stolen report and they will re evaluate. They offered 500$ but the agent was not sure if that included the 300us for incidentals. My sister is so pissed with WS. Her husband who owns a rather large company was way cooler about it. He said Westjet is no longer a travel option going forward, that's at least 50K in lost business.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:12 am

Bags

Unless, WA is $10 cheaper.

HUX is probably a weekly or a couple times weekly destination for not only WS but also TS AC and WG, if they even go there at all.

Such a sophisticated, experienced air traveller such as your brother should know this and recognize that this sort of thing can and does happen.

All of the CDN based airlines have to rely on either each other to move delayed bags, (yup, that's gonna happen), or rely on Aeromexico to move them.

All the Cdn carriers can do is rely on Aeromexico to move the bag thru their highly efficient system in MEX.

Unless, of course, your brother expects WS to remove another aircraft from its daily sched to deliver the bag personally.

Perhaps consider a destination that your carrier operates with more frequency. If they fly it on Friday or Saturday, take the Friday flight so if the bags are delayed, they'll arrive the next day. Except the Sat flight costs $10 more.

Thats what experienced travellers who spend $50k a year on air would do.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HangTen
Unless, WA is $10 cheaper.

HUX is probably a weekly or a couple times weekly destination for not only WS but also TS AC and WG, if they even go there at all.

Such a sophisticated, experienced air traveller such as your brother should know this and recognize that this sort of thing can and does happen.

All of the CDN based airlines have to rely on either each other to move delayed bags, (yup, that's gonna happen), or rely on Aeromexico to move them.

All the Cdn carriers can do is rely on Aeromexico to move the bag thru their highly efficient system in MEX.

Unless, of course, your brother expects WS to remove another aircraft from its daily sched to deliver the bag personally.

Perhaps consider a destination that your carrier operates with more frequency. If they fly it on Friday or Saturday, take the Friday flight so if the bags are delayed, they'll arrive the next day. Except the Sat flight costs $10 more.

Thats what experienced travellers who spend $50k a year on air would do.
With respect you really need to read the post before hitting send.
If it's my sisters husband it's my brother in law. His company spends the 50K+, so he has some say on who gets the coin.

My sister is not an experienced traveller, they choose WS because of it's reputation for customer service and a half decent in flight product.
Not that TS would be any worse.
That said, the issue seems to be the lack of, or deliberate misinformation they received from Westjet. My sister stresses much more about these things than I do, or many on the forum would.

Just for the record when they arrived in YYZ last night for the connection home, as they were placing their not lost bags on the connecting belt, the agent asked for their boarding passes. He then disappeared and did not return for a good while without saying why he needed them. She freaked because she thought they were going to miss the connection. So ran upstairs to the counter in domestic check in to have the passes re-issued. I would have done it at the kiosk or never given them up with out an explanation.
The agent that reissued them, could not figure out why they were taken in the first place, apologised and put them in Plus for the 1 hr YUL leg. Which was delayed by an hour
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
3 checked bags for less than a week of travel ��. I'm thinking carry-on would have been way more practical
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ricski64
3 checked bags for less than a week of travel ��. I'm thinking carry-on would have been way more practical
Bro in law is a diver at one of the bags was his gear. That one got there a couple of days later.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold,, Marriott Plat
Ya I'd be mad too then. Considering he would be at the end of his threshold to dive then fly. Generally 24 hrs + is needed before flying at altitude. westjet needs to make this up to them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.