Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

LGW-YVR full trip-report experience: not impressed

Old Oct 4, 2016, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

I booked a one-way from LGW to YVR on the few remaining days that the seasonal service was still running. It was around £200, which is around C$335.

WestJet flies from London Gatwick, which is London's secondary airport to Heathrow and focused more on leisure traffic. While not as nice as Heathrow, it is still functional with amenities. (And normally I would never describe Heathrow as nice, outside the bubble of the T2 Queen's Terminal that Air Canada and Star Alliance flies from) It is a far cry from Luton or Stansted, the discount carrier tertiary airports that look more like a Walmart.

WestJet flies from the North Terminal, which is generally considered the more premium section of the airport with more long-haul services: to get there, you must take a train from the South Terminal that connects to the Gatwick Express and train services. Virgin Atlantic will be moving to the North Terminal next year as well.

I forgot to take a picture of the WestJet check-in area, but it's fairly functional though there were slight line-ups. There is no separate queue for Plus/Gold passengers.

The check-in experience was overall the best part of my flight: the agent I had was positively delightful. She was friendly, professional, competent enough to smoothly make changes to my flight, and absolutely charming to small-talk with. She stickered my passport with "Premium Gatwick" as WestJet Gold and off I went through expedited security. Unfortunately, on my flight WestJet Plus was completely sold out, so I could not upgrade. And economy was full outside of an empty seat or two.

WestJet contracts Gold and Plus fliers to use the No.1 Lounge in Gatwick. I should point out that WestJet Plus offers lounge access for its Plus fliers, and that is a rarity among Premium Economy worldwide for most carriers. It's a great benefit.

Interesting Important Notice there.

The No.1 Gatwick lounge is quite nice, though very crowded. The interesting part about this lounge is that all hot food is ordered through the bar, which is very unusual for a business class lounge. The buffet is mostly limited to snacks. Alcohol is also ordered through the bar and not self-serve. BA also uses the No.1 Gatwick for their Sapphire passengers.

The food quality was good, and there was plenty of natural light but no runway views. The dining area really does feel like a restaurant, but I sat near the bar where the couches are more comfortable.

Unfortunately, it stops being fun here. My flight, WS 23 to Vancouver, was delayed by an hour. WS 4 to Toronto was cancelled and everyone was rebooked on the same replacement WS 4304 coming in from Toronto that was publicized on CBC. That flight would qualify for EU compensation.

WestJet announces to the airport screens that the plane is boarding at 12:45pm, at roughly the original time of departure, despite original delay announcements of an ETD of 1:45pm. So I head to the airport gate only to see this:

Line ups down the hall to simply get into the departure lounge area. Again no separate queue for Gold or Plus fliers, of course. I reckon I could have had at least two more drinks in the lounge, instead of having to wait at the airport gate in line.

I'm not sure if or why they are taking this non-US bound flight and doing it American style. They had an additional two passport checkers in addition to the people scanning your boarding pass who were checking your passport anyways. For all intents, once you are in the departure lounge you are "boarded" since there is no further BP scan. But they just keep you in there and still announce boarding by "zones" even if there is absolutely nobody to enforce boarding this at the actual walkway entrance to the jet bridge.

Absolutely awful and confusing boarding process. I was Zone 1, but ended up boarding with Zone 4 given I was stuck outside the departure gate and did not want to barge in front of already-upset and delayed passengers.

Oh look! A WestJet plane in London!

I really felt the 2-3-2 configuration in Y for this ex-QF 767 was very comfortable. The seat overall was comfortable, the exact same as the QF planes I think.

I was one of the very few with an empty seat next to me, if not the only one on the plane from a no-show. Despite this, a ground agent on board asked me to move from row 14H to 23F or whatever so that "a couple could sit together, one of whom had eyesight issues." (Why didn't they pay to choose seats together?) I'm usually a nice guy, but for me to go from an empty 2-seater to a seat 9 rows back, with a stranger beside me? Are you kidding? I said no. Unless you are upgrading me to Plus, or doing a forced operational move on me, don't bother asking.

Boarding was completed and we departed at 2:20pm, about 1.5 hours delayed.

Some flaws: the power outlet is USB-only, meaning all you power business fliers won't be using any laptops for this 10-hour flight.

The WestJet Connect wi-fi was surprisingly the same price as the domestic/transborder flights: $5 for 30 mins, $9 for 3 hours, $15 for a flight pass. I can't really remember the exact dollars on all my WestJet flights so I may be off a few dollars. I did wish that they did have a cheap "messaging pass" like Gogo does for $3 since most of my wi-fi use on planes is very low bandwidth. But on the wi-fi front, this is good. The only problem is the heavy polar routing in particular for some LGW-YVR flights, which might affect signal, and I am very happy that the staff did warn about this before people started purchasing.

Plus passengers get tablets, and WestJet also sells rentals for them.

The food. Oh dear lord the food.

The menu can be found here: https://www.westjet.com/assets/wj-we...Oct-EN-web.pdf

I ordered the "Tomato and tarragon chicken, Served with chive mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables." And it came out like this:

Now at C$9, it's not the most expensive meal, but I feel like this wasn't worth a penny. I understand WestJet wants to encourage people to preorder, but I was intending to upgrade to Plus and/or change flights, so that just doesn't work. Preordering is a special request tied to your flight.

If you preorder, which costs C$13+, you get a "free" on-arrival breakfast/snack in addition to sides and desserts for your main meal.

But for the rest of us non-preordering plebes, all you get is just a main meal. Which would be fine, but this was an awful dish. I highly recommend fliers bring their own food.

I talked to some YYC-based FAs from my flight at YVR Arrivals, and they told me that they even don't touch the food and just bring their own food on board.

Another problem with the buy-on-board is that similar to "domestic mainline" there is a delay between the free drink service, which everyone will agree to, and the for-purchase meals, which less than a quarter of people will agree to. Around me, most people did not order the WestJet food.

For those that purchased a meal, that means eating your meal without a beverage or waiting and having your food go cold.

Another problem is tray clearing: people eat quickly but the drink service lags. So my tray sat there uncleared for 2 hours or longer. (I went to nap and just left the tray on the empty seat's tray next to me.)

I napped through the rest of the service, but the on-arrival meal service is only cold plates. That means only cheese plates and sandwiches. I'm not sure why they can't be bothered to heat up food for the few that would want to order.

I overheard FAs chatting to some passengers and they have admitted they were "overcoming difficulties" on this route. One comment was that the passengers "were just so different". I mean, 10-hour transatlantic international vs average flight length of 2-3 for domestic/transborder/Caribbean attracting a different passenger mix? Could WestJet have really been surprised? Of course expectations are different.

Between the service hiccups, the delays, and the mediocre catering, I would not recommend their transatlantic service. They have had a whole year to sort these hiccups, and this was a flight at the end of their peak seasonal services and already into the shoulder season. It really feels that WestJet half-assed this international experiment, and it really shows. How can you possibly launch something like this and be proud of it? A sad story.

Last edited by keitherson; Oct 4, 2016 at 12:54 am
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Appreciate the time to share this trip report as it does highlight the challenges on the route. One would hope this season would be a massive learning experience and the next one would be better. Having had a positive experience flying the 767 to OGG I was considering flying next Summer to LGW using WS Rewards as would prefer a nonstop but with all the delays and aircraft substitutions will consider other options with one connection.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: rapidly diminishing
A few thoughts:

- LGW is historically more of a "bucket-and-spade" and LCC airport; and I don't think I'd equate the No. 1 lounge at LGW North Terminal with a typical NA "business class lounge" - nor other two lounges at LGW, for that matter. IIRC, they are all offered as a buy-up option on the LCCs, and accessible with several lounge access options, and of course billed as a pay lounge (with multiple offers at any one time) which may also account why it's typically rammed.

- my pre-paid meal on WS4 a couple of months ago was a *lot* nicer than the BOB options I saw (and the one the OP took a pic of). That said, I completely agree that this is an area where WS need to review their business model and strategy; I think if they played it smart, they could leapfrog the competition for a relatively modest outlay. Given the ongoing problems they (still) have with their 767s, I'd be thinking hard and fast about some quick wins to address customer satisfaction and overall feelings about this route.

- the gate area WS have allocated at LGW is right at the end of the terminal, at the end of a l-o-n-g corridor with few-to-no concessions nearby (and, IIRC, bad signage to inform you of that). Coupled with the weird boarding process once you get down there, this really could be improved. But I think WS are at the mercy of LGW wrt their gate area allocation - not sure what they can do about that part of it. Not quite sure what's up with the secondary passport checks (which I recall, too) - but recall *sometimes* getting this when boarding AC TATL from LHR, so it might be something that's imposed upon them by the airport, but not all the time?

- ISTR something about those upgrading to Plus being able to get a refund on pre-ordered meal charges, where applicable. But I could be wrong. Makes total sense, given the net revenue gain for WS.

- isn't west-coast to Hawaii flight time not that much different from YYZ-LGW?
Having not (yet) been to Hawaii, I can't speak to the offerings and expectations on that route from NA. But there seems to be a disconnect here.

Having had the misfortune to fly an AC 77W HD on a YVR-YYZ red-eye in the last 48 hours, I'd never want to set foot on an AC HD bird on a TATL route.

Paying $100 on Rouge for 35" seat pitch DUB-YYZ on a 767 made for a surprisingly decent flight earlier this summer, but regular seats looked as grim as the mainline HD.

BA Y last December was really underwhelming for several reasons; seat was a lot more cramped than I recall from a few years back, and (as mentioned on the BA FT forum) lots of in-flight service things are being enhanced away, and I'd really not hurry back.

Haven't flown TS for a bit, but UK friends have used them to visit two summers in a row, one does a lot of long-haul biz travel and didn't have any issues with their last couple of flights.

I agree with the OP that the WS 767 seat is fine.
If WS can get their 767 reliability issues fixed (and fast!), and have a serious rethink on their catering strategy, I'd still like to see them do well on this route (and maybe others to Europe in the future?).

That said, this has been a terrible first year for them and I fear even turning around what they *can* control might not save them from the reputation those birds (or should we call them "Aussie albatrosses"? have wrought).
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
To be clear though, you paid $335 dollars for this flight. So did you expect the same as an $800 dollar flight?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
To be clear though, you paid $335 dollars for this flight. So did you expect the same as an $800 dollar flight?
Do you think if I paid WestJet $800 my experience would have been different?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 11:57 am

Thanks to the OP. We'll be flying out to LGW from YVR in a few days and back in a few weeks. Appreciate the effort to post a detailed review.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by keitherson
You make a good point, I take back my comment. Westjet needs to shape up on this route.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't understand. Paying $50 for a Big Mac doesn't turn it into a gourmet meal.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
My experience flying LGW-YYZ was pretty much the same as the OP, minus the delayed departure. But I would say the flight/seat/food was great overall given the price I paid.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 3:39 am

Programs: Yes, I belong.
Originally Posted by sofasurfer
ISTR something about those upgrading to Plus being able to get a refund on pre-ordered meal charges, where applicable. But I could be wrong. Makes total sense, given the net revenue gain.
I ran into this last week. I had read their FAQ a while ago about "what happens of I pre-order food, then upgrade?"

The answer: Upgrade to a Plus *fare* and you'll get a refund. Upgrade to a Plus *seat* and you will get a credit (if lucky). So at T-23:59, if you've pre-ordered, your purchase of a Plus *seat* may not include food (you'll still get your pre-ordered food though).

One other odd note: before food/Bev service started, they announced my name on the PA, asking where I was seated so they could give me my "special meal". I would have thought they'd xref their manifest, seeing as I was the only name announced...(to be fair, I hadn't pre-selected a seat prior to OLCI, so maybe the pre-order info incl seat number is documented then?)
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:15 am

Umm, well, yes!
Vast majority of that flight paid about what you did, so what kind of amenities can WS offer to a bunch of price sensitive passengers?

Truth is, on that flight, you got excellent value for fare paid.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Umm, well, yes!
Vast majority of that flight paid about what you did, so what kind of amenities can WS offer to a bunch of price sensitive passengers?

Truth is, on that flight, you got excellent value for fare paid.
How would you know what the yields for this aircraft and route are? Do you have insider information?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
The food. Oh dear lord the food.

The menu can be found here: https://www.westjet.com/assets/wj-we...Oct-EN-web.pdf

I ordered the "Tomato and tarragon chicken, Served with chive mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables." And it came out like this:

As my grandfather used to say when presented with what he perceived to be an inedible dish "this food would start a prison riot, men would die!".

I am genuinely mystified by the hot food on the 767, why even bother? It doesn't even look appetizing on the menu. From what vendor do you obtain this stuff? TV dinners would probably be both higher margin and more edible.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:23 pm

I overheard FAs chatting to some passengers and they have admitted they were "overcoming difficulties" on this route. One comment was that the passengers "were just so different". I mean, 10-hour transatlantic international vs average flight length of 2-3 for domestic/transborder/Caribbean attracting a different passenger mix? Could WestJet have really been surprised? Of course expectations are different.
When FAs complain the passengers "were just so different", it's because there are high percentage European (incl British) passengers on this route, maybe the only route in WS network. Even Dublin route does not have many European passengers. They have much higher expectations than North American passengers and value services differently. They value on-time, professionalism, quality of food and comfort. They don't care how much jokes FAs can tell or how chatty they are. As per European standard in terms of in-flight experience, even Ryanair is better than Westjet yet still has much better value/price ratio. So £200 price for this type of in-flight experience really is not that value. After running business in such closed sky all the life, Westjet really don't understand what is like outside its own world.

Last edited by 788; Oct 6, 2016 at 11:19 am
Old Oct 5, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Originally Posted by 788
They value on-time, professionalism, quality of food and comfort. They don't care how much jokes FAs can tell or how chatty they are.
As one of "them" (albeit now dual "them/us" for nearly a decade now), this is quite illuminating. Didn't realize that what would appear to be such fundamental expectations from an airline are, by your inference, novel to the North American market...

You're right that I couldn't give a proverbial about chatty/jokey FAs, though. Do your job, and be professional. With the exception of my YYZ-YVR segment lasts week, I really felt that WS had been moving towards the former in the last couple of years (in my admittedly, relatively limited experience compared to some on this forum)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.