Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Westjet VP Mktg speaks to customers on plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat

Just saw this on Linkedin and not sure how current. Lots of comments comparing to AC/ACr about legroom and also about leadership style. Apparently Westjet VP Mktg travelling in the Y cabin gave a speech about more leg room, announced his seat number and offered to take questions from his customers.

Phil Soper
CEO, Royal LePage - Brookfield Real Estate Svcs Inc
The #WestJet VP of Marketing (sitting midplane, like a regular bloke), just gave an onboard speech. The highlight: their planes now feature a glorious 2" of additional legroom! Wake-up #AirCanada #Rouge! He also offered to chat with anyone once airborne and gave his seat number. #impressive #leadership show less
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: Skymiles Silver Medallion
Cool, if true. Of course, WestJet is having a bad week. Its service to London is off to a rocky start.

I admire leadership like that, mind you. Even if it is a stunt. It says a lot about corporate culture. I think it's telling that even the most hardcore AC fan probably could never imagine an AC exec doing anything like that.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
As this is not an Air Canada or Aeroplan it's been relocated to the proper forum for WestJet discussion which is the WestJet forum.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:15 pm

Programs: E50K, *Gold, WS Gold,VIA Premier, VIPorter
This is something all WS VPs do. I had the pleasure of flying with the President of Encore on a YVR-OGG flight! He made the same announcement, but also chatted with the crew and helped with the beverage and garbage service!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 11:03 pm

About a dozen years ago I was on a flight between YQR and YYC on WS and Clive Beddoe was a passenger. As soon as the seatbelt sign went off he worked his way through the plane asking people for ideas about what they'd like to see for new routes. I don't think it really mattered what he was asking people, but rather that he made a very positive impression on everyone by working to connect with passengers. It was pretty neat to see.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Gregg Saretsky (CEO) has a place in Palm Springs, so is on the YYC-PSP flight frequently. I've probably been on it 5 or 6 times with him. He always does a speech, and helps with the drinks and table clearing. He also said that if anyone had any questions or comments, he left the seat beside him open, and they should come talk to him.

Once, I sat down and tried to talk to him. I told him I was a Gold who does 50-100 flights a year, and that there are some big holes in the program. Specifically, there needs to be a dedicated GOLD counter for check-in, as it is a waste of status when I have to sit in the line for 45 minutes to change my flight. He was a little brash, and told me that I can just do everything online so they don't need a GOLD counter. I tried to explain that any change to a flight that is earleir than 4 hours, or a late-show, requires me to stand in the line. Also, if I check a bag, I have to stand in the line. He didn't seem really interested, and just kept saying "you can do everything online", so I got up and left. A gold counter would make me so much happier. And when there are no GOLD's, anyone else could use it.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
Gregg Saretsky (CEO) has a place in Palm Springs, so is on the YYC-PSP flight frequently. I've probably been on it 5 or 6 times with him. He always does a speech, and helps with the drinks and table clearing. He also said that if anyone had any questions or comments, he left the seat beside him open, and they should come talk to him.

Once, I sat down and tried to talk to him. I told him I was a Gold who does 50-100 flights a year, and that there are some big holes in the program. Specifically, there needs to be a dedicated GOLD counter for check-in, as it is a waste of status when I have to sit in the line for 45 minutes to change my flight. He was a little brash, and told me that I can just do everything online so they don't need a GOLD counter. I tried to explain that any change to a flight that is earleir than 4 hours, or a late-show, requires me to stand in the line. Also, if I check a bag, I have to stand in the line. He didn't seem really interested, and just kept saying "you can do everything online", so I got up and left. A gold counter would make me so much happier. And when there are no GOLD's, anyone else could use it.
I'm no fan of GS but have to respect him not bs'ing you.
He knows his airline cannot command the yield premium to offset additional perks to frequent flyers.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
I'm no fan of GS but have to respect him not bs'ing you.
He knows his airline cannot command the yield premium to offset additional perks to frequent flyers.
A gold counter doesn't cost ANYTHING. All you have to do is dedicate one agent to Gold, and give them a seperate line. When there are no golds in line, that agent can help normal customers. This is no cost.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
The VP of Marketing should be passing out his CV along with the bevies. There have been 5 EVP, SVP or VP departures in the last several months. Something big is going on at WS and they are adjusting the executives for reasons as yet unconfirmed.

I also learned today the SVP Guest Experience has been given walking papers (either that or he is leaving voluntarily). This person would have ultimate responsibility for Gold counter implementation.

One recent replacement has significant global airline experience and have a previous airline work relationship with the current CEO. Additionally three positions have been recruited through a global search firm, WS recruiting team is not conducting the search and "hire from within" is not being implemented.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by CanuckFlyHigh
A gold counter doesn't cost ANYTHING. All you have to do is dedicate one agent to Gold, and give them a seperate line. When there are no golds in line, that agent can help normal customers. This is no cost.
A gold counter costs a lot of money for capital and operational changes.

For starters the gold counter needs to be implemented at the largest mainline airports (YYC, YYZ, YVR, YEG, YWG, YUL, YHZ, YOW, LAS, LAX, CUN, LGW, LGA, maybe more).

Procedures will need to be adjusted and staff trained accordingly. At the checkin desk, all agents are treated equally (they can perform checkin, ticketing, bag drop, etc.). The only separate job is airport ambassador which is relegated to the simple functions of greeter and hall monitor. Implementation of a gold counter would entail splitting the job into a more senior position.

All that said, I think by this time next year you will have a separate gold counter. All that needs is for the SVP Guest Experience to be replaced by someone with legacy airline and airline alliance experience.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by WR Cage
A gold counter costs a lot of money for capital and operational changes.

For starters the gold counter needs to be implemented at the largest mainline airports (YYC, YYZ, YVR, YEG, YWG, YUL, YHZ, YOW, LAS, LAX, CUN, LGW, LGA, maybe more).

Procedures will need to be adjusted and staff trained accordingly. At the checkin desk, all agents are treated equally (they can perform checkin, ticketing, bag drop, etc.). The only separate job is airport ambassador which is relegated to the simple functions of greeter and hall monitor. Implementation of a gold counter would entail splitting the job into a more senior position.

All that said, I think by this time next year you will have a separate gold counter. All that needs is for the SVP Guest Experience to be replaced by someone with legacy airline and airline alliance experience.

I respectfully disagree. Anyone at the "Guest Assistance" half of the line could be a Gold agent, as they act as Gold Agent's today. Additionally, most airports WS defines their lines with a TV, so all they need to do is change the graphics above the TV to a Gold Counter, maybe slap down a gold rug on the ground, and change around the Stanchion posts. Anyway, getting a little off topic here! Sorry
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:01 am

There was a separate Gold tier & Plus counter at LGW this morning.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 3:58 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
^^^^
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Interesting, this is likely easier to do at contracted stations since it is just implementing what the service provider does for most of their other clients.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Oh my god!!! WESTJET IS LISTENING TO US!!! ^^^

Originally Posted by Fiordland
Interesting, this is likely easier to do at contracted stations since it is just implementing what the service provider does for most of their other clients.
LGW is almost a dedicated team: the staff mostly served WestJet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.